2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ME4ME

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

I have been lets say very sceptical about the Renault power unit since 2014 and while reliability still has to be proven, I want to say well done Viry the engine is now very respectable. Credit where credit is due.

marmer

ME4ME wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 18:44
I have been lets say very sceptical about the Renault power unit since 2014 and while reliability still has to be proven, I want to say well done Viry the engine is now very respectable. Credit where credit is due.
No credit due they have probably the worst engine on the grid and both teams using the engine are battling b teams of the big boys and seem to have some poor reliability.

They can't get near the top six red bull look more competitive than in the V6 era than ever before after switching to honda.
Since V6 came in they have done a great job at moving constantly backwards relative to the other engines...

SmallSoldier

marmer wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
No credit due they have probably the worst engine on the grid and both teams using the engine are battling b teams of the big boys and seem to have some poor reliability.

They can't get near the top six red bull look more competitive than in the V6 era than ever before after switching to honda.
Since V6 came in they have done a great job at moving constantly backwards relative to the other engines...
The gap to the front has nothing to do with the engine... The gap is created by the chassis of the different teams... That’s why STR isn’t near Renault or Mclaren in regards to pace.

The engine is only behind the other 3 in terms of reliability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marmer

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 21:21
marmer wrote:
ME4ME wrote:

The gap to the front has nothing to do with the engine... The gap is created by the chassis of the different teams... That’s why STR isn’t near Renault or Mclaren in regards to pace.

And power and size/weight

SmallSoldier

marmer wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
marmer wrote: No credit due they have probably the worst engine on the grid and both teams using the engine are battling b teams of the big boys and seem to have some poor reliability.

The Renault engine isn’t down on power compared to Honda... In regards to weight, I honestly have no clue... But most if not all cars run at the minimum allowed weight... If there is a weight difference, it just allows them to use ballasts in a more efficient way.

GhostF1

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 01:12
marmer wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

The Renault engine isn’t down on power compared to Honda... In regards to weight, I honestly have no clue... But most if not all cars run at the minimum allowed weight... If there is a weight difference, it just allows them to use ballasts in a more efficient way.

Renault have most certainly found a power leap, that much is certain, as for how relevant that is because their reliability is still pretty average, I'm not sure. Power with questionable reliability is easy.
RBR and Honda both admitted in France that Renault had a qualifying power advantage, but they also said Honda have a known race mode advantage. This is before the Spec 3 and subsequent larger Spec 4 evolution's were introduced.. so logic would suggest they may have lost any advantage they initially had.

And also, needs to be mentioned.. these rule breaks.. MGU-K power limit breach (apparently caused by going over a kerb, and yet its a never seen before issue.., before this, they've had fuel flow breaches. These seem unique to Renault even though they are known rules with known consequences. Their passive aggressive twitter response amused me.

djos

diffuser wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 13:51
I like black and white regs. No room for inturpretatrion, less chance of prefential treatment. It is what it is.
As Danny Ric said, it should be like exceeding the track limits, you lose the Lap, not get disqualified. The punishment does not fit the crime.
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

djos wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 04:36
diffuser wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 13:51
I like black and white regs. No room for inturpretatrion, less chance of prefential treatment. It is what it is.
As Danny Ric said, it should be like exceeding the track limits, you lose the Lap, not get disqualified. The punishment does not fit the crime.
They should have argued that point before committing the crime.

Morteza

For all the Cyril fans out there :wink:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

loner

https://twitter.com/RenaultF1Team/statu ... 0918944768
will Renault pull the plug after 2020 ?!!
para bellum.

djos

loner wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 10:18
Maybe they've kissed and made up with Honda?

Although more likely is they've convinced Mercedes or Ferrari to supply PU's.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

djos wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 10:22
loner wrote:
Maybe they've kissed and made up with Honda?

Although more likely is they've convinced Mercedes or Ferrari to supply PU's.
I was right, Mercedes are supplying engines.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/09/28/mc ... from-2021/
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect

loner wrote:
Renault are actually the only team officially signed beyond 2020.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

loner

Ground Effect wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 12:39
loner wrote:
Renault are actually the only team officially signed beyond 2020.
didn't know that and its great then.
para bellum.

Jambier

I think it might be Mercedes going out of the sport, not Renault