Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Zarathustra wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 19:54
MtthsMlw wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 12:56
Clean shot of the new diffuser
https://mediaproxy.tickaroo.com/v3/imag ... 3665a5135c
AMuS
I am a real aero noob- so having said that myself, here’s my question;

I’ve noticed over the years- it started with the front wings, that the more ‘elements’ the better and now they also do it at the diffuser (edge).

Hypothetically speaking- if it would be allowed & possible and they created a diffuser (edge) existing out of 50 tiny elements- would this in theory be even better than the 4 they currently use?
The multiple parts are there because they need slots to inject air in to the airflow. This is needed to keep the flow attached etc. Just adding more slots won't help once the flow is working fully.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zarathustra

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 20:33
Zarathustra wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 12:56
Clean shot of the new diffuser
https://mediaproxy.tickaroo.com/v3/imag ... 3665a5135c
AMuS

I’ve noticed over the years- it started with the front wings, that the more ‘elements’ the better and now they also do it at the diffuser (edge).

Hypothetically speaking- if it would be allowed & possible and they created a diffuser (edge) existing out of 50 tiny elements- would this in theory be even better than the 4 they currently use?
The multiple parts are there because they need slots to inject air in to the airflow. This is needed to keep the flow attached etc. Just adding more slots won't help once the flow is working fully.
It has to do with the coanda effect, right? If you keep the airflow attached, you’ will have a better coanda effect?

So in theory; would an element made out of 50 tiny slots keep the airflow even better attached- to prevent the slightest of separation?

Just_a_fan

If you have so many parts in such a small area, you run in to the situation that you don't have enough actual surface to do any work with. If 3 slots makes it work properly, 30 slots won't make it work better but it might reduce the lift/turning force you're trying to get (because the lift force acts on the surface, not the gap).

There is also the issue that as the parts get smaller, they become inherently less stiff meaning you risk oscillations with attendant unstable flows behind. So you need to add lots of stiffeners which adds complexity, and places obstacles in the way of the flows you want to use.

Ashwinv16

Zarathustra wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 23:46
Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 20:33
Zarathustra wrote:

It has to do with the coanda effect, right? If you keep the airflow attached, you’ will have a better coanda effect?

So in theory; would an element made out of 50 tiny slots keep the airflow even better attached- to prevent the slightest of separation?
No coanda in current f1 (well not majorly focused on) as it requires a pressure differential in teems of potential or kibetic energy. So change in temp or height. I think you mean venturi or simply flow-attachment.
Halo not as bad as we thought

Just_a_fan

Ashwinv16 wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 17:23
No coanda in current f1 (well not majorly focused on) as it requires a pressure differential in teems of potential or kibetic energy. So change in temp or height. I think you mean venturi or simply flow-attachment.
Any fluid jet following a convex surface is exhibiting the coanda effect. In the case of wings (and the diffuser exit), the coanda effect occurs when higher energy air is injected in to the stream that is following the curved surface - hence the slots between wing elements and the slots in the diffuser exit. The slots create, in effect, a wide jet of air and that jet is what experiences the coanda effect. The jet is caused by the pressure differential across the wing's surfaces.

The diffuser slots allow for greater turning of the flow to use the wake of the rear wheel to draw air from the diffuser's exit.

Zarathustra

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 00:46
If you have so many parts in such a small area, you run in to the situation that you don't have enough actual surface to do any work with. If 3 slots makes it work properly, 30 slots won't make it work better but it might reduce the lift/turning force you're trying to get (because the lift force acts on the surface, not the gap).

There is also the issue that as the parts get smaller, they become inherently less stiff meaning you risk oscillations with attendant unstable flows behind. So you need to add lots of stiffeners which adds complexity, and places obstacles in the way of the flows you want to use.
Thx for the answer- much appreciated!

Morteza

Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:From what we can see, the new diffusor on the Ferrari is similar to the one tested in France except for the outboard smaller strake, which was removed in Singapore (compare yellow arrows)
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Ashwinv16

Anything on Ferrari's new suspension

Ashwinv16

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 17:39
Ashwinv16 wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 17:23
Any fluid jet following a convex surface is exhibiting the coanda effect. In the case of wings (and the diffuser exit), the coanda effect occurs when higher energy air is injected in to the stream that is following the curved surface - hence the slots between wing elements and the slots in the diffuser exit. The slots create, in effect, a wide jet of air and that jet is what experiences the coanda effect. The jet is caused by the pressure differential across the wing's surfaces.

The diffuser slots allow for greater turning of the flow to use the wake of the rear wheel to draw air from the diffuser's exit.
So it is another term for flow attachment (But on convex/concave surfaces only)

LuisFeF1

Small change in Turning Vanes in Singapore:
Lower fin slightly longer (yellow arrow)

Big Tea

LuisFeF1 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:34
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/487 ... f869_o.jpg

Small change in Turning Vanes in Singapore:
Lower fin slightly longer (yellow arrow)
Would that 'hole' have a airflow or blow?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McMika98

Anyone seen the latest Autosport edition of Why Ferrari were faster? All down to the new cape apparently.
What most commentator have missed, credit to Peter Windsor who is a man with good connections: is that Ferrari actually had a large rake this rake. I didnt believe it but looking at race pictures they were as high as the RedBulls.

tommizi

As always, it 's all about balance. If they managed to get more out the front wing
(cape made it work harder) then they were able to increase rear-downforce as well.

Bill

Racing point and Mclaren has these cape so what s so magical about it

Big Tea

Bill wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 08:45
Racing point and Mclaren has these cape so what s so magical about it
I think their secret weapon here was the suspension. Other cars looked as if they were jilting over some curbs while the Ferrari sailed serenely on with all rubber on the ground.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.