2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

bauc wrote:Good race by Lando, I was surprised how he managed to stay in touch with the leading pack on the first stint.... another bad luck for SAI on the opening lap, however I think our car now is competitive on most of the tracks on the calendar and that is a good sing going forward for 2020. Also we managed to scrap a few points back on Renault so overall a solid weekend.
Staying with the front wasn’t surprising... Leclerc was keeping a pace that was probably 2 seconds longer than regular pace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bauc

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 16:59
bauc wrote:Good race by Lando, I was surprised how he managed to stay in touch with the leading pack on the first stint.... another bad luck for SAI on the opening lap, however I think our car now is competitive on most of the tracks on the calendar and that is a good sing going forward for 2020. Also we managed to scrap a few points back on Renault so overall a solid weekend.
Staying with the front wasn’t surprising... Leclerc was keeping a pace that was probably 2 seconds longer than regular pace.

Yeah you are right about that, but still it was better than before

Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ground Effect

Does Sochi likely favour Renault more than McLaren?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 17:05
Renault is only good for the straights. The only strength they had was slow-speed corners and Mclaren have surpassed them in that regard too.

SmallSoldier

M840TR wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
Renault is only good for the straights. The only strength they had was slow-speed corners and Mclaren have surpassed them in that regard too.
I wouldn’t say that they have “surpassed” them... But, McLaren is definitely improving their slow corner performance and it should allow them to continue in front of Renault.

Sochi is a race that I would expect the team to do well... It isn’t a pure low downforce track, so that should favor them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Szabi1112

Defending our 7-8th position will be easier if we take the 4th row in the qualifying. Despite our car was the fastest at this weekend, we couldn't take it. It's annoying.

M840TR

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 17:32
M840TR wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
I wouldn’t say that they have “surpassed” them... But, McLaren is definitely improving their slow corner performance and it should allow them to continue in front of Renault.

Sochi is a race that I would expect the team to do well... It isn’t a pure low downforce track, so that should favor them.

They were a few tenths clear of Renault in S3 which is primarily a low-speed corner territory. I mean sure, they aren't exactly dominating the mid-field but a clean quali would've put them almost 0.5 sec ahead of Ricciardo in P8. That's a good margin.

SmallSoldier

M840TR wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 17:32
M840TR wrote: Renault is only good for the straights. The only strength they had was slow-speed corners and Mclaren have surpassed them in that regard too.

They were a few tenths clear of Renault in S3 which is primarily a low-speed corner territory. I mean sure, they aren't exactly dominating the mid-field but a clean quali would've put them almost 0.5 sec ahead of Ricciardo in P8. That's a good margin.
I want to believe that Mclaren is definitely better than Renault, but I still believe that the tires are still a big factor, in particular in Singapore... The difference in performance that Mercedes showed in Qualifying was due to how they attacked the outlap and the temperature in their tires... It seems that this is something that may have affected the performance of the different cars... What is clear is that Mclaren seems to be having less issues than the rest to manage their tires and that seems to be the big differentiation.

Sochi is just a week away... I still believe that finishing 4th or 5th shouldn’t be where the focus lies, hopefully they are still working towards closing the gap to the front and working on the 2020 car full steam.

Darth-Piekus

But Soldier isn't tyre management also part of the 4th best chassis? I mean that shows that it is a superior design to be able to handle tyres better than the others.

SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:But Soldier isn't tyre management also part of the 4th best chassis? I mean that shows that it is a superior design to be able to handle tyres better than the others.
Definitely... The MCL34 is a better “overall” race car than the Renault, it manages not only tires better, but also changing conditions... Nevertheless, that doesn’t mean that the performance will always be superior or that it’s a guarantee that they will outperform Renault in the following races.

The points in the WCC show us much... That Mclaren overall has a better car, I’m just saying that we should be cautious with our expectations since locking the 4th row won’t be a given... Nevertheless, the car has enough performance to fight for it at every race from here to the end of the year.

I hoped before the summer break that the team would steer clear of the midfield by this point of the season, that hasn’t really happened yet... Hopefully the final upgrades of the season will allow them to unlock what is missing.

RonDennis

McLaren also brought updates this weekend to improve the performance in the slow corners.

diffuser

RonDennis wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 23:50
McLaren also brought updates this weekend to improve the performance in the slow corners.
They brought minor shiit. They've been done with 2019 since the Hungary upgrade.

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
They brought minor shiit. They've been done with 2019 since the Hungary upgrade.
The floor change isn’t minor... And Seidl mentioned that most of the updates for Singapore weren’t visible (so most probably suspension related).

They did mentioned that there were a few more parts already on development that should be introduce in the next couple of races.

I wouldn’t expect any major new developments.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 01:08
diffuser wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
The floor change isn’t minor... And Seidl mentioned that most of the updates for Singapore weren’t visible (so most probably suspension related).

They did mentioned that there were a few more parts already on development that should be introduce in the next couple of races.

I wouldn’t expect any major new developments.

It's minor stuff

Jackles-UK

Ground Effect wrote:
Sochi is pretty comparable to Baku with long-ish straights connected by a series of medium speed 90 degree corners. McLaren were very strong in Baku so I expect it to favour us in Sochi as well as Mexico. Tire deg, particularly through the long turn 3 in Sochi, could be a factor as well and McLaren are generally a bit kinder on that front too.