Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
garygph

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

:shock: Kubica 0.2 slower than Latifi in FP1 ! Not a good sign at all in my view. This cannot continue without some statements soon I would have thought.

Tattoo-

They will continue with Kubica to the end of the season (because of $$$ from Orlen).

For next year, I'm pretty sure they will replace Kubica with Latifi (and his $$$ from Sofina & Co).
"There are only three sports: bull fighting, car racing and mountain climbing. The rest are mere games!" - Ernest Hemingway

Greg_OR

garygph wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 13:22
:shock: Kubica 0.2 slower than Latifi in FP1 ! Not a good sign at all in my view. This cannot continue without some statements soon I would have thought.
What kind of statements do you expect? That Latifi is team choice for next season based on perfomance? same as it was with Siriotkin after 2017 season? So as Siriotkin was on par with Stroll now you can see what level of a driver is Stroll compared to Perez, but of course some jurnos will state that this is actual level of Kubica - below Russell, Stroll, Sirotkin and Latifi. And I will not blame believers - this is dark side of this sport - motorsport, specially F1 where drivers have less to say, less to perform, and team bosses have endless options to create the show.
I'm also a believer but I don't believe bosses, jurnos and press, I blieve a man who I know for years and who never let me down, never lied and always was sincere to the bone.
Forgive me garygph if not those kind of statements you had in mind, but I'm seek of those statements about equal cars and that experienced veteran don't understand current rubber...

garygph

Greg_OR wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 22:17
garygph wrote:
What kind of statements do you expect? That Latifi is team choice for next season based on perfomance? same as it was with Siriotkin after 2017 season? So as Siriotkin was on par with Stroll now you can see what level of a driver is Stroll compared to Perez, but of course some jurnos will state that this is actual level of Kubica - below Russell, Stroll, Sirotkin and Latifi. And I will not blame believers - this is dark side of this sport - motorsport, specially F1 where drivers have less to say, less to perform, and team bosses have endless options to create the show.
I'm also a believer but I don't believe bosses, jurnos and press, I blieve a man who I know for years and who never let me down, never lied and always was sincere to the bone.
Forgive me garygph if not those kind of statements you had in mind, but I'm seek of those statements about equal cars and that experienced veteran don't understand current rubber...
There is a lovely expression used in South Africa that I have in response to your post ..it's " Eish!! " :)
It is neither insulting nor complimentary in this case just an acknowledgment of the passion in your post. I really do hope it all comes good for him as well in whatever way he chooses in the future.

Manoah2u

garygph wrote:
what on earth are you talking about :roll:

Go ahead look at the FP1 results and then the actual pace of the race.
FP1 is anybody's guess but above all, a moment when teams and drivers do certain runs, simulation runs, tests, speeds, etc. latifi being 0.2 secs faster than kubica only means he made a run that did just that. that doesn't mean he's faster. it just means he did a run where he was faster that the runs kubica did. but in which setting, is anybody's guess. even if you have that data of which tires they ran, there's still the question of fuel, and so much more.

obviously, he's gonna do his best to make a fast lap, which is logical.
you can expect that when that happens, the aim was to be in as less traffic as possible, as little fuel possible, the softest tires available, etcetera. all along, kubica could have been running a fully fueled car, doing race sims, on the hardest tires around, in traffic, and so on.

that means those times are not comparable. it just means that for that day, at some point, latifi set a time that was only 0.2 secs faster. if he managed to do that compared to a fully loaded kubica car, it's rather unimpressive really.

what i'm thus saying is that you shouldn't extract too much from these times.
if they were running a race with just 2 cars, same race distance, and latifi would be driving 0.2 secs faster each lap during the entire race, then yeah, that wouldn't be a good sign at all. that's not the case however.
stop making more from such a insignificant number.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle

Nine years out of formula one is a long long time, with or without injury. I think if you put 2010 Hamilton in the current field, he would be midfield at most. He missed years of development.

Manoah2u

Yet Ferrari wanted him as a simulation driver, Renault happily had him as a test/development driver,
and he is the one who brought in points for the team. He has crushed many other strong drivers in
other classes. Has no problems driving an F1 car 'essentially with one hand'.
What did people expect? That Kubica just drives this trashcan car to a podium?
That he completely buries a fast, talented, mercedes-backed young gun?
To be honest, the only ones missing years of development is the WILLIAMS team.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

garygph

As a Kubica fan, yes actually I am, I would be really happy to be concerned for nothing. Just seems like a lot of smoke for no fire to me. However I take your points and hope like hell it all turns around and he is able to put in results that everyone would like to see. Then you can message me and have a gloat! :lol:

netoperek

For 6th consecutive time, Robert had better telemetry metrics than George, although only slightly this time.
Source: f1.com

garygph

netoperek wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 18:59
For 6th consecutive time, Robert had better telemetry metrics than George, although only slightly this time.
Very interesting. Forgive the ignorance if you would but how is this chart done? Where do they get the figures from in other words.

Greg_OR

garygph wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 12:04
netoperek wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 18:59
Very interesting. Forgive the ignorance if you would but how is this chart done? Where do they get the figures from in other words.
google for "f1 performance ratings explained" - in short - rankings of all drivers are made in those 5 areas of telemetry visible above, then points of 1-10 scale are given to each driver.
Its updated lap by lap during race - look at 'PERFORMANCE' tab at F1 live timing page.
In Singapore Robert gained best note of all.
---
I've contacted Formula1.com but they replied that "performance rating" is visible only during and after current race, no possibility to view past races, pity :(