TERS : Thermal Energy Recovery System

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
henry

Re: TERS : Thermal Energy Recovery System

henry wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 18:29
subcritical71 wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 17:48
Anyone taken a look at the recent papers from Albert Boretti (http://profiles.sae.org/79584416411/)? Most are behind the SAE paywall, but some are still available for review. I don't know if this guy is repeating what is already publicly available or is doing original work.

https://www.mdpi.com/2411-9660/3/1/11/htm
https://www.degruyter.com/downloadpdf/j ... 8-0171.pdf

paywalled;
https://www.sae.org/publications/techni ... 9-26-0045/
Thanks @subcritical71 these look very interesting.
I’ve looked through the second, dealing with energy flow.

I can’t recommend it. He thinks the H is purely for turbo control and the K is used sequentially during braking, only kicking in when total brake power drops below 120kW. He doesn’t adjust for brake balance. As a consequence he thinks per lap energy recovery at Monaco is zero. There’s more but that’s enough for me.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

subcritical71

henry wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 20:42
henry wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 18:29
subcritical71 wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 17:48
Anyone taken a look at the recent papers from Albert Boretti (http://profiles.sae.org/79584416411/)? Most are behind the SAE paywall, but some are still available for review. I don't know if this guy is repeating what is already publicly available or is doing original work.

https://www.mdpi.com/2411-9660/3/1/11/htm
https://www.degruyter.com/downloadpdf/j ... 8-0171.pdf

paywalled;
https://www.sae.org/publications/techni ... 9-26-0045/
Thanks @subcritical71 these look very interesting.

I can’t recommend it. He thinks the H is purely for turbo control and the K is used sequentially during braking, only kicking in when total brake power drops below 120kW. He doesn’t adjust for brake balance. As a consequence he thinks per lap energy recovery at Monaco is zero. There’s more but that’s enough for me.
Yeah, I was also thinking some of his conclusions were a bit off for being in a research paper, oh well!

Dr. Acula

henry wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 20:42

That and also his conclusion is very shortsighted. He basically sees F1 exclusively as a development tool for road cars, which it never was, at least in my opinion.
You can use the same basic ideas for road cars, but never the specific solutions developed in F1. I mean Mercedes tried that to some degree with the Project one road car and they run into a very real problem, which simply doesn't exist in F1, emission limits.

gruntguru

What a good idea, lets put emission limits in the rules.
je suis charlie

Craigy

Has the topic of variable rotational inertia ever popped up on this forum with regards to turbomachinery?

(Edited to add: I mean, with regard to mechanisms on the turbine shaft that can expand or contract like a governor mechanism, to change the shape of the inertia graph)
Last edited by Craigy on 16 Jun 2020, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

aleks_ader

gruntguru wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 00:39
Yeah. NO look at dieselgate. :D Same thing. Unless u developed sensors for emissions test. But what u would measure? NOX, particles, CO2 all above? I think this is appealing but to police its nightmare.

EDIT: I mean sensors for live monitoring ofc.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

subcritical71

aleks_ader wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 17:05
gruntguru wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 00:39
Yeah. NO look at dieselgate. :D Same thing. Unless u developed sensors for emissions test. But what u would measure? NOX, particles, CO2 all above? I think this is appealing but to police its nightmare.

EDIT: I mean sensors for live monitoring ofc.
... and then we can make it even more complex and have it like the power industry where they have rolling average requirements. Say, you can have x ppm instantaneously, but only 0.7x ppm averaged over 15 minutes and then 0.5x ppm over 1 hour. That should make it almost impossible! :twisted: Oh wait, that sounds like the fuel usage regulations.

PlatinumZealot

Craigy wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 02:47
Has the topic of variable rotational inertia ever popped up on this forum with regards to turbomachinery?

(Edited to add: I mean, with regard to mechanisms on the turbine shaft that can expand or contract like a governor mechanism, to change the shape of the inertia graph)
Don't think it has been discussed before..

Increasing the intertia would make it act like a flywheel to aid "extra harvest" ( motoring and generating alternatively at high frequency). Now... For your flywheel to be helpful there... The mechanism to couple and decouple it would need to be faster than the switching frequency of the motor/generator. Around 40kHz if Honda's presentations from 2017 are still relevant.

There could be a few ways of doing this... U can do it electrically.. Have a flywheel that is already spinning and couple it electrically to "boost" the motor. And decouple it when it becomes too parasitic.. There is a technology that should be able to do this. (have to revisit my youtube archives)....

Mechanically.. It is a bit more tricky.... A simple slow geomtetry change may be OK for simple mode motoring/genersting.. But it would be a hinderance in extra harvest. In extra havest the mechical coupling has to be designed that is can work in those switching frequencies wouthought catastrphically damaging itself.

Anyway this is basically flywheel energy storage..and thus two energy stores in the car and could be prohibited by the rules?

I am not sure is there is some consideration for incidental inertial energy storage and discharge.. And how big it can be... They have a rule for a certain amount of capacitance storage however.. So mechanically i suppose some inertial storage is allowed?

ncx
ncx

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 20:35
Craigy wrote:

Don't think it has been discussed before..

Increasing the intertia would make it act like a flywheel to aid "extra harvest" ( motoring and generating alternatively at high frequency). Now... For your flywheel to be helpful there... The mechanism to couple and decouple it would need to be faster than the switching frequency of the motor/generator. Around 40kHz if Honda's presentations from 2017 are still relevant.

There could be a few ways of doing this... U can do it electrically.. Have a flywheel that is already spinning and couple it electrically to "boost" the motor. And decouple it when it becomes too parasitic.. There is a technology that should be able to do this. (have to revisit my youtube archives)....

Mechanically.. It is a bit more tricky.... A simple slow geomtetry change may be OK for simple mode motoring/genersting.. But it would be a hinderance in extra harvest. In extra havest the mechical coupling has to be designed that is can work in those switching frequencies wouthought catastrphically damaging itself.

Anyway this is basically flywheel energy storage..and thus two energy stores in the car and could be prohibited by the rules?

I am not sure is there is some consideration for incidental inertial energy storage and discharge.. And how big it can be... They have a rule for a certain amount of capacitance storage however.. So mechanically i suppose some inertial storage is allowed?
Depending on how a flywheel recovery mechanism was implemented, it could fall foul of this:
5.2 Other means of propulsion and energy recovery
5.2.1 The use of any device, other than the engine described in 5.1 above [ICE], and one MGU-K, to propel the car, is not permitted.
(2020 and 2021 Tech Regs, not sure afterwards.)

Craigy

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 20:35
The turbine/ERS-H is already an energy store while it's spinning. All I'm thinking of here is "how can it be made more effective?"
The interesting part about it is that with the right mechanism you could slow the speed of the turbine down by letting the mechanism's arms "out" (like a ballerina with arms out) without losing any of the energy stored in the shaft.

Without even needing to use the ERS-H you could spin the turbine shaft back up to a high rate again, simply by having the arms pull "in". This could all be done mechanically if required.

I'm definitely not saying anyone has done this in F1, but it's a sort of an interesting idea to kick around because it allows all manner of new control paths without actually being illegal in the rules.

godlameroso

If normal air were heated to the same temperature as a gasoline + air combustion, at the same rate, would the end result in the pistons and turbine be the same? Or do the combustion products such as CO2 change the density and pressure of the exhaust gases? CO2 for instance has roughly 50% more density than air, NOx as well is more dense than air, as is Sulphur dioxide. Surely the combination of all these reaction products have an effect on the volume and pressure of the exhaust gas stream vs just air.
Saishū kōnā

Zynerji

Craigy wrote:

I feel that ive seen those on old farm machinery. I think it's a case of too much mass at 125k rpm.

Tommy Cookers

godlameroso wrote:
02 Feb 2022, 16:33
If normal air were heated to the same temperature as a gasoline + air combustion, at the same rate, would the end result in the pistons and turbine be the same? ....
... Surely the combination of all these reaction products have an effect on the volume and pressure of the exhaust gas stream vs just air.
current 'lean F1' exhaust has c. 2% higher gamma than traditional - responsible for c. 4% of current thermal efficiency
(gamma = gas specific heats ratio)

so yes pure air (magically heated in-cylinder) would make an engine c. 12% more efficient than current

but an external combustion 'closed' engine might best use a monatomic (ie higher gamma) gas as a working medium
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 03 Feb 2022, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

Craigy

Zynerji wrote:
02 Feb 2022, 16:41
Craigy wrote:

I feel that ive seen those on old farm machinery. I think it's a case of too much mass at 125k rpm.
I guess this becomes a mechanical strength versus mass problem. There are definitely limits, but I'd suggest that they are more likely packaging limits than mass really.

It'd be interesting to see some concept tests on this.