2019 Sport Pesa Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
loner

Re: 2019 Sport Pesa Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

BIG UPDATE”: RACING POINT WANTS TO ATTACK AGAIN FROM SINGAPORE
“We expect to be strong in Singapore, too, and we have an ace up our sleeve.” This refers to “a big update,” as Szafnauer reveals. “From then on, we'll try to get to know the update and understand the set-up,” he explains.
https://racing-elite.com/2019/09/11/big ... singapore/
para bellum.

loner

Nflux wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 21:04
An open canopy (shield) made out of the same material used for fighter jets would solve this issue. Fighter pilots need clear visibility to accomplish their missions.
something along this Audi concept and i think its very doable on both sides.
para bellum.

NAPI10

Holding off Verstappen's redbull was highlight for RP at Monza -

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... rIt6x.html

sprint car76

Someone explain to me how the pit strategy for stroll in this race made any sense. Why would you wait to pit him when you knew the real leaders "vettel +" were closing in on him. While he was fighting to keep them behind them he lost a ton of time and any chance of a points finish. When your racing with the mid pack these small errors become hugh in the final finish.Logic and plain common sense says pit him when vettel caught him to not lose any time. Baffles me sometimes the strategy they have for both drivers. While they have all this technology to help form their strategy most times it's like they are flying by the seat of their pants.

marmer

sprint car76 wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:12
Someone explain to me how the pit strategy for stroll in this race made any sense. Why would you wait to pit him when you knew the real leaders "vettel +" were closing in on him. While he was fighting to keep them behind them he lost a ton of time and any chance of a points finish. When your racing with the mid pack these small errors become hugh in the final finish.Logic and plain common sense says pit him when vettel caught him to not lose any time. Baffles me sometimes the strategy they have for both drivers. While they have all this technology to help form their strategy most times it's like they are flying by the seat of their pants.
Maybe they had a call from toto saying we can knock a bit off next year's engines if you try and hold up Ferrari.

NAPI10

sprint car76 wrote:
I am guessing, RP was hoping for a safety car at that point which would have been a free pit stop for Stroll. I dont see any other explanation.

sprint car76

Unfortunately this is not the first time. The car has gotten better, the strategy has not.

search

yeah, Giovinazzi for example was on a similarly bad strategy though. Also Kvyat, I think (?). Maybe they were too busy monitoring the cars around them, trying to beat them, so that they forgot about the picture as a whole

sprint car76

It's madding though. They have all this tech. and it's like there not using any of it. Our maybe the people that they've hired to do the job just aren't good enough. Watching this last race and seeing vettel coming to challenge them i'm wondering "What the heck is your plan" Leaving them out there to lose time fighting with the 5 cars which you have no way in hell of beating. Baffling.

drunkf1fan

NAPI10 wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 16:17
sprint car76 wrote:
I am guessing, RP was hoping for a safety car at that point which would have been a free pit stop for Stroll. I dont see any other explanation.
That but I think people keep mistaking the position Gio/Stroll were in for how actually far ahead of those others guys they were. Just before Hamilton pitted Stroll was 20 seconds behind him, Magnussen was 41 seconds behind and Kimi 44 seconds behind. That meant that even if Stroll pitted at that point, he comes out in 14th, at a track with essentially not much passing though potentially with decent tires.

There are two options, he pits early, comes out way down and maybe makes up a position if lucky or he pits as late as possible and maybe has the tires to pass multiple cars if everyone else's fall apart or last option, safety car comes out and his 26 second pit time loss becomes maybe 15 and suddenly he's in the points.

This held for Gio, Stroll and Gasly. Gasly was helped out by the late safety cars and shenanigans and making up positions while Stroll had issues.

Just because Stroll/Gio were leading or upfront doesn't mean they were anywhere near a good situation if they pit. They were miles back and pitting to 14th wasn't going to help them. Keeping them out long and actually waiting for some leaders to pass non backmarkers was actually about the best chance of a safety car as well so for instance of Vettel tags Gasly going through then Stroll maybe finishes in 8th or something.

Originally he was running 14th till Kvyat's tires seemed to go off a cliff really early and then one of the Haas's got out of the way, then he's 12th and gets to 5th because he hadn't pitted. His only real shot at points was mass of failures late on or staying out and hoping to jump people via safety car pitstop. Lots of people messed up strategy here and all season but Gio and Stroll staying out wasn't a mistake, it was pretty much no points for them or a risky going for SC strategy for both.

sprint car76

Beg to differ. Why would any team mid field team leave their driver out, knowing that once the leaders caught them there driver was going to lose any advantage they had gained by staying out. Makes no sense. If they were going to be on a one stop like everybody else they needed to max out their strategy by pitting when the leaders got to them to minimize any time that they would lose. Every second counts and that is why teams like toro rosso, racing point, and renault ended up where they did.

marmer

sprint car76 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 05:00
Beg to differ. Why would any team mid field team leave their driver out, knowing that once the leaders caught them there driver was going to lose any advantage they had gained by staying out. Makes no sense. If they were going to be on a one stop like everybody else they needed to max out their strategy by pitting when the leaders got to them to minimize any time that they would lose. Every second counts and that is why teams like toro rosso, racing point, and renault ended up where they did.
TV time might be a reason. More than the one or two points they might have got

sprint car76

Better race this weekend, hopefully this continues the upward streak into next year. Just wonder what lawrence stroll thinks of the progress that they have made? Been pretty quiet lately.

marmer

not much to shout about when his boy is being beat by perez. combined with being in a tight midfield i think lawrence knows that for this season at least its unrealistic to expect more from them.

sprint car76

Not thinking about the drivers more about the overall progress of the car. I really expected the car with the extra resources to be progressing a little faster. The big update they had has not seemed to make as much of an difference as i thought it would. Some of their races have been compromised by bad strategy and difficulties in making the right changes in qualifying. Next year with the added resources i think L stroll is going to be expecting a more competitive car or some people are going to be looking for new jobs.