2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

You have to give them a break here, The race did not take its course, so plans would not have worked out anyway.
Yes, they possibly muffed up not pitting Lewis with Seb, but the lightning first lap was not expected.
Once they could see that it had been a mistake, there is no way they could undo it do had to go for a best option alternative.
Possibly Ferrari intended to stop again, or at least had it considered, but as the second half of the race fell into a farce, it was impossible to plan for. Track position is king, but once it was gone it was gone. The only reasonable alternative was a 'tyre fight' at the end.
A mistake yes, but not a complete ballsup, just circumstances.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

selvam_e2002

Thanks for clarification. I don't see any big update for last couple of races. Is there any plan to bring update? or they just going to manager position to get the WDC and WCC.

The rules are same, so why Mercedes not bringing new update? any idea or clue? Can some one share some details please.

digitalrurouni

Possibly they're no longer interested in f1 and want to focus on formula e instead lol.

jumpingfish

Maybe they didn't expect that Ferrari can bring upgrades those help so much. Ferrari's Q/R pace was very good if we remember Ferrari lost almost 1 minute in Hungary behind Mercedes/RB.

e30ernest

I wonder if this is connected with the hot weather though. Maybe they've had to make some aero compromises for cooling. That and dirty air could potentially hinder their pace in Singapore and the pace difference was exacerbated by gains made by Ferrari. The Mercs appear to be at the very least faster than the Red Bull (especially in the closing stages).

dominaze

My impression is that Mercedes has shifted their setup way too far in favour of race pace or tyre longevity. That has become apparent once they realised that they no longer have the edge in qualifying. The car looks like having issues with warming the tyres quick enough on a single lap config.
On the opposite, Leclerc is very good at doing it, which is, to me the reason why he took pole the races in a row. His race pace is a lot slower which was obvious during his first stint.
Mercs always lost time at restarts at the end of each safety car period, tyre temp too cold once again. Probably they need to figure out it especially on tracks where position is crucial

zibby43

dominaze wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 08:38
My impression is that Mercedes has shifted their setup way too far in favour of race pace or tyre longevity. That has become apparent once they realised that they no longer have the edge in qualifying. The car looks like having issues with warming the tyres quick enough on a single lap config.
On the opposite, Leclerc is very good at doing it, which is, to me the reason why he took pole the races in a row. His race pace is a lot slower which was obvious during his first stint.
Mercs always lost time at restarts at the end of each safety car period, tyre temp too cold once again. Probably they need to figure out it especially on tracks where position is crucial
Agreed. My question is, why would they even care about race pace at a place like Singapore, where track position is so vital? Clearly Hamilton had Red Bull covered off in quali. Red Bull was curiously off the pace as well in qualifying.

Were Merc caught completely off guard by Ferrari's qualifying pace?

dominaze

There's probably a little bit of complacency going on at Merc. Still, I think people misunderstand the true nature of the singapore layout. This track appears to me as more of a stop-and-go, with lots of 90° corners. Mercs are better on tracks where most of the curves require prolonged aerodynamic grip, so do RB . We saw a Monza how close Hamilton was at the start of Parabolica but still unable to make any move. Ferrari's ERS ability to pull out some magic chunk of energy in qualy config is probably the key to their current performance

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

F1Krof

The team seem to have dropped the ball for sure. I just don't know whether it's a miscalculation or overconfidence that caused it.
Wroom wroom

Phil

Spec3 issues?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Phil wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 20:25
Spec3 issues?
More like testing car set ups for wet weather, and using the old spec 2 engine.
197 104 103 7

zibby43

dans79 wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 20:36
Phil wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 20:25
Spec3 issues?
More like testing car set ups for wet weather, and using the old spec 2 engine.
Every source I’ve seen has indicated they’re running the Spec 3 this weekend.

Also haven’t seen anyone from the team say they were trialing wet setups in FP. A quick car in the dry always needs to be the baseline in dry FP.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 21:01
Every source I’ve seen has indicated they’re running the Spec 3 this weekend.
They most likely will be, but they often run an old spec on Friday and then only run the newest one on Saturday and Sunday.
197 104 103 7