2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

mwillems wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 23:03
Jackles-UK wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 22:30
BBC (Andrew Benson) are now over the McLaren-Mercedes reunion as well.

Interesting that he states the reasons are that

a) Mercedes is more a competitive unit (which is pretty undeniable really) but also,

b) that a deal with Mercedes is actually cheaper than with Renault.

If the second point is true then it’s an excellent deal to get done. I must assume that this must be due to economies of scale with all the engine R&D being shared by four teams rather than two?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/49859259
They have no need to offer them engines cheaper than the FIA Mandated maximum price so I wonder what that motive is, if it is true.
I think the motive is Classic F1 - Mercedes is pretty much on it's own at the front of the grid, so it might want a competitive team able to mix it up at the sharp end of the grid to take points off Red Bull and Ferrari. McLaren fits the bill, and I'm sure McLaren would snap up a Mercedes PU at this point. Especially if it's a cheap deal, means money can be spent in other areas.

Capharol
Capharol

I've read here loads of "competitve team", "another team at the front", etc.
then why didn't Mercedes gave the engine to RB as RB asked for it.... The answer is mostly because poeple say "Mercedes is/was afraid to get passed by RB with they're own engine" which i fully understand.

that makes me wonder:
why give the engine to McLaren? due to the history between these two? or maybe because Mercedes isn't expecting any competition from McLaren?
Especially at 2021, where the regulation concerning the car (aero) are being put in a blender, mixed up, thrown out, and see what you can do with them.
it could be Mercedes get it all wrong on these new regulations (I know, highly unlikely), what will that mean then for Mercedes and McLaren.

an other question: why have they only given Williams and RP the engine? does Mercedes know that these two teams aren't a threath to them? is Mercedes holding them back in they're development?

I know this is controversial thinking here (and on any other platform i guess) but when you start think about it..... i find it a bit strange and it makes me thinking

RonDennis
RonDennis

Mercedes engine = more reliable, faster and cheaper. McLaren can use that money for the development of the car. So yeah, sounds like a good deal.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

RonDennis wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 01:57
Mercedes engine = more reliable, faster and cheaper. McLaren can use that money for the development of the car. So yeah, sounds like a good deal.
They engine lease price is set in the regulations/negotiations between the FIA and the PU manufacturers, so unless Merc is giving McLaren a discount, then it won't be cheaper.

The Merc PU uses significantly less fuel then the Renault PU, so that is something that will improve McLaren's race pace. The driveability of the Merc is reportedly better than the Renault as well. Also possiblely a lower CoG, but maybe no longer. Packaging is reportedly better with the Merc PU as well. Basically they would be trading the worst for the best or co-best.

CHT
CHT

Mclaren engine deal with Merc could possibly lead to Merc AMG buying over the entire Mclaren brand all together

wunderkind
wunderkind

CHT wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 03:21
Mclaren engine deal with Merc could possibly lead to Merc AMG buying over the entire Mclaren brand all together
Please don't. It didn't happen the first time (in hindsight, for good reasons) and I hope it will not happen now. McLaren adds nothing to the Daimler portfolio.

M840TR
M840TR

wunderkind wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 06:06
CHT wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 03:21
Please don't. It didn't happen the first time (in hindsight, for good reasons) and I hope it will not happen now. McLaren adds nothing to the Daimler portfolio.
Yup. They’ll mostly invest in electric vehicles from now on. Especially with other german rivals upping their involvement in the area with new EV models like Audi & Porsche.

McL-H
McL-H

I am not sure I would be to happy with Mercedes engines as long as the factory team is still around. According to Ron Dennis, McLaren was given engines with lower power output in 2013 en 2014 than the factory team was given. Why would Mercedes allow us to compete with them now?

It’s my opinion that McLaren needs works team status in order to get back to the front. It doesn’t matter if this is with Renault, Honda or Mercedes.. But if you cannot get it, it’s best to stick with what you have.. changing engine often makes you do a step back because you need to make alterations to the car to fit it..

Pany
Pany

Nobody think of Mercedes to retire before domination terminate?

CjC
CjC

Pany wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 08:48
Nobody think of Mercedes to retire before domination terminate?
I do 8)
Just a fan's point of view

Lucky
Lucky

MtthsMlw

Also Merc PU from 2021-2024 confirmed

Morteza

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/11 ... 07361?s=19
Zak Brown, CEO, McLaren Racing, commented:
“This agreement is an important step in our long-term plan to return to success in Formula 1. Mercedes is the benchmark, both as a team and a power unit, so it is natural we would seek to secure a relationship with the company for the next phase of our journey. This announcement reflects the confidence of our shareholders and is an important message to our investors, our team, partners and fans that we are committed to returning McLaren to the front of the field.”

Andy Cowell, Managing Director of Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrains, said:
“Since the introduction of the hybrid regulations in 2014, it has been a cornerstone of our strategic approach to lead PU development with our works team and to deliver a benchmark product to our customer teams across the field. We are therefore delighted to expand our roster of partner teams and especially with an historic brand like McLaren. There is a shared history between the two organisations; and we look forward to achieving success together again in the future.”

Andreas Seidl, Team Principal, McLaren Racing, commented:
“2021 will be an important milestone for us as we continue our fight back to the front, so it is vital that we have the key elements in place now to enable us to prepare for the new era of the sport. We look forward to renewing our Mercedes relationship from 2021 onwards. At the same time Renault remains both a valued partner as well as a formidable competitor, and we will be focused on continuing our collaboration through the rest of this season and next.”

Toto Wolff, Head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport, concluded:
“We are delighted to welcome McLaren back to the Mercedes-Benz racing family with this new power unit supply agreement. Although the two brands share a prestigious history, this new agreement is all about looking to the future and beginning a new era of power unit supply for the years ahead. McLaren have been putting in place the building blocks of their revival over recent seasons, including impressive performances this season with Renault power. We hope that this new long-term agreement marks another milestone for McLaren as they aim to take the fight to the sport’s top teams, including our Mercedes works team.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

McL-H wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 08:44
I am not sure I would be to happy with Mercedes engines as long as the factory team is still around. According to Ron Dennis, McLaren was given engines with lower power output in 2013 en 2014 than the factory team was given. Why would Mercedes allow us to compete with them now?

It’s my opinion that McLaren needs works team status in order to get back to the front. It doesn’t matter if this is with Renault, Honda or Mercedes.. But if you cannot get it, it’s best to stick with what you have.. changing engine often makes you do a step back because you need to make alterations to the car to fit it..
That's illegal now.

Bill
Bill

Mercedes knows it no longer have power edge over other engine manufacturers therefore it doesn't make a difference in a grand scheme of things if they give a pu to Mclaren. In terms of pu failures merc has also its problems just as Renault