GPR -A wrote: ↑Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:36 pmHow does that make sense? The very reason they divested stakes in McLaren, was the for the fact that, for the amount of money they were investing in McLaren, they could run their own team, which would bring far bigger advertisement for the Mercedes brand. They have successfully achieved it and they are at break even with their investment in the race team! They are essentially getting all the advertisement for their brand, without almost spending a penny.
If they have to go back to McLaren, they would again have to shell out a hell lot of money! Today, all of their success is their own ALONE. If they go back to old model, they would only get flak when the PU fails, but all the praise will go to McLaren brand. It's absolutely brainless thing to do.
- Next thing in F1 for Mercedes ? : lose. The cycle will end one day, and they will begin to lose.
- Budget cap is a big issue. They will have to fire quite a lot of people
- Formula E program is starting
- We know the struggle that german brand have with eco image
- For 2021 they have to start everything again if they want to dominate the future cycle
- They have won so much... winning again in 2021 will just hurt their image, it will not bring positive things
On the other side:
- Leaving 2020 in full glory, with 7 title in a row!
- With Hamilton on 7th title
- Not being there in 2021 allow them to put all the money to ensure this 2020 victory
- This will be better to leave in glory rather than beaten by competitors
- Not having to fire people with budget cap
- And maintaining a presence in F1 with AMG engines.
Engines will be the same on 2021, we even speak of freeze. Having 3 customers is not that expensive to keep an engine program