2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PowerandtheGlory

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

I understand the criticism of Cyril, but what is projected outwards and what is known are too different things. If we are going to criticise Cyril for 'talking up' Renault's chances every year and not delivering, then fine. But what is he supposed to do?? Sound negative?? Surely every Team principal's job is to LEAD a team, and that means being positive, optimistic, honest and clear. Renault are trying to recover the F1 programme from the bare bones of what Genii left, no staff, debts and a run down operation. That does take time. But as an engineer and a Manager then that takes time. Look at Mclaren, who had the 'worst engine best car' mantra until last season where they tried but failed miserably with vandoorme and alonso... I dont see anyone getting their pitchforks out? yes there's progress now... I think Renault struggles from not having the 'halo' type effect of other teams and the relative protection that comes with that. The biggest storyline this year is Ferrari now have the best engine... For the first time probably in the hybrid era.. Merc have let their crown slip.. and ferrari have jumped in and genuinely Merc dont know how.. Even Hamilton is saying ' they have Jet fuel' Horner (king f1 Troll) described Merc' party mode as 'afternoon tea' compared to Ferrari.. He once only used that sort of language to describe Renault.. So the Vultures are hovering around MERC, they will likely win this year and well deserved, their Reliability has been superb and they are always so well prepared start of the year.. But with Some Key Merc people departing, it might be a change of power in F1..
So in summary- i dont think Cyril is doing a bad job, its just its a MASSIVE job, and they havent done this yet- but they have sorted the engine.. now they just need a good F1 car..... Oh Wait... LIKE 75% of the grid then.. so nothing new there.. Even HAAS who have a 2/3 of a ferrari car cant get anywhere near...
So i think perspective is needed on the Cyril comments, because what else can the guy say in interviews???
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Capharol

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 10:44
I understand the criticism of Cyril, but what is projected outwards and what is known are too different things. If we are going to criticise Cyril for 'talking up' Renault's chances every year and not delivering, then fine. But what is he supposed to do?? Sound negative?? Surely every Team principal's job is to LEAD a team, and that means being positive, optimistic, honest and clear. Renault are trying to recover the F1 programme from the bare bones of what Genii left, no staff, debts and a run down operation. That does take time. But as an engineer and a Manager then that takes time. Look at Mclaren, who had the 'worst engine best car' mantra until last season where they tried but failed miserably with vandoorme and alonso... I dont see anyone getting their pitchforks out? yes there's progress now... I think Renault struggles from not having the 'halo' type effect of other teams and the relative protection that comes with that. The biggest storyline this year is Ferrari now have the best engine... For the first time probably in the hybrid era.. Merc have let their crown slip.. and ferrari have jumped in and genuinely Merc dont know how.. Even Hamilton is saying ' they have Jet fuel' Horner (king f1 Troll) described Merc' party mode as 'afternoon tea' compared to Ferrari.. He once only used that sort of language to describe Renault.. So the Vultures are hovering around MERC, they will likely win this year and well deserved, their Reliability has been superb and they are always so well prepared start of the year.. But with Some Key Merc people departing, it might be a change of power in F1..
So in summary- i dont think Cyril is doing a bad job, its just its a MASSIVE job, and they havent done this yet- but they have sorted the engine.. now they just need a good F1 car..... Oh Wait... LIKE 75% of the grid then.. so nothing new there.. Even HAAS who have a 2/3 of a ferrari car cant get anywhere near...
So i think perspective is needed on the Cyril comments, because what else can the guy say in interviews???
on the "Cyril-honest" part ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
on the last sentence of your topic: there is a song written, called "silence is golden", what i wanna say sometimes it's better to not speak at all, but this means for 95% of the world-population :wink:

PowerandtheGlory

Capharol wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 10:55
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
on the last sentence of your topic: there is a song written, called "silence is golden", what i wanna say sometimes it's better to not speak at all, but this means for 95% of the world-population :wink:
I don't think Cyril has been dis-honest? And being a TP of one of the 4 Works teams (i'm including RB) he will have a say on Governance and other matters. He clearly isn't everyone's cup of tea?
I know what you mean about silence, but we cant have Kimi raikkonen as a TP, we need orators and leaders like Zak, Toto, christian, Cyril, Gunther, Mattio etc etc they have to be political and spoken, where others can afford to stay quiet and drunk (KIMI) swear (magnussen) Honest (vettel V12's) Passionate (leclerc) Funny and disarming (Avocado) outspoken (villeneve)... etc etc..
The life of TP seems a tough one
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Capharol

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 11:02
Capharol wrote:
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
I don't think Cyril has been dis-honest? And being a TP of one of the 4 Works teams (i'm including RB) he will have a say on Governance and other matters. He clearly isn't everyone's cup of tea?
I know what you mean about silence, but we cant have Kimi raikkonen as a TP, we need orators and leaders like Zak, Toto, christian, Cyril, Gunther, Mattio etc etc they have to be political and spoken, where others can afford to stay quiet and drunk (KIMI) swear (magnussen) Honest (vettel V12's) Passionate (leclerc) Funny and disarming (Avocado) outspoken (villeneve)... etc etc..
oh Cyril has been dishonest, promising things (as a renault represantative) they didn't keep and that since we entered the hybrid era
and i agree with you, TP is being political, not able to say what you think, which would help the sport more, then this talking through the bush thing they do now a days is boring and predictable.
I for example, would be the worst TP ever, because i say what i think.
meaning, if I think something was crap, i would say it like that.... so not good :wink:

Big Tea

:mrgreen: TBH, those of us who only understand one or two languages really have no idea what the other team bosses say either?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

djos

None of the Team Principles could be called honest, they all play silly games and exaggerate things for their own benefit.
"In downforce we trust"

Capharol

djos wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 12:26
None of the Team Principles could be called honest, they all play silly games and exaggerate things for their own benefit.
exactly....

PowerandtheGlory

As a TP of a Road car company.. if you said ' The car is crap' it would be same as commercially vomiting into your own rucksack in the morning and carrying it around all day... you just don't do it... also he is the leader of 450 people and has to think of them..

And Renault make 'normal' cars for people - They don't have the luxury of Ferrari, Merc, Mclaren, even RB to be very self critical. because they are trying to sell Hundreds of thousands of cars to normal people, they don't have a client base like Ferrari. Renault's fastest car is the Megane R which is still FF drive,

So as a TP you 'have' to be political, that's not dishonest. But i take your point.. its hard to warm to the guy when there have been so many false dawns..

But honestly- stick somebody else in there... THEY would do the same thing. Copy paste

Capharol

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 13:07
As a TP of a Road car company.. if you said ' The car is crap' it would be same as commercially vomiting into your own rucksack in the morning and carrying it around all day... you just don't do it... also he is the leader of 450 people and has to think of them..

And Renault make 'normal' cars for people - They don't have the luxury of Ferrari, Merc, Mclaren, even RB to be very self critical. because they are trying to sell Hundreds of thousands of cars to normal people, they don't have a client base like Ferrari. Renault's fastest car is the Megane R which is still FF drive,

So as a TP you 'have' to be political, that's not dishonest. But i take your point.. its hard to warm to the guy when there have been so many false dawns..

But honestly- stick somebody else in there... THEY would do the same thing. Copy paste
Ferrari and Mercedes make road cars too and Red Bull is a multimillion company that can't have any negatives aswell and Honda sells road cars aswell, so everybody "think they have to lose something.

on the other hand, maybe ppl want to have more honesty
I for instant hates these political talking, and never watch the pressconferences because it's full of blablabla

SmallSoldier

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Capharol wrote:
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
The only ones that hate on Cyril are a few RBR-Honda fans... No one else on the grid does and the hate really comes because he stood up for the company that pays his wages and didn’t bend over for them... I am not a fan of his, since he is arrogant, but I don’t find any reason to hate him either.

Those few RBR/Honda fans base their hatred/criticism on Renault for not delivering on their promises, nevertheless they seem to forget all the unfulfilled promises from Honda during 2015-2017 (way worst than anything promised by Renault/Cyril)... Or ignore completely who might be the most dishonest person in the Paddok, Helmut Marko (everyone brushed off how he publicly backed Gasly until the end of the season and a week later sacked him).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Webber2011

There's an article on the F1 app that has me confused because I've never heard his term before.

"Renault are hoping that the lightly-modified front wings will give drivers Nico Hulkenberg and Daniel Ricciardo some extra grip and downforce around Suzuka – something they’ll appreciate through the track’s classic sections like the Esses and Spoon Curve – while the R.S.19s will also feature revised chassis wings this weekend too."

I know it's probably something simple, but what do they mean by "chassis wings" ?
I've honestly never heard that term used before, not even here.

Would that be bargeboards perhaps ?

Thanks,
Simo' 😉

bauc

Webber2011 wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 10:13
There's an article on the F1 app that has me confused because I've never heard his term before.

"Renault are hoping that the lightly-modified front wings will give drivers Nico Hulkenberg and Daniel Ricciardo some extra grip and downforce around Suzuka – something they’ll appreciate through the track’s classic sections like the Esses and Spoon Curve – while the R.S.19s will also feature revised chassis wings this weekend too."

I know it's probably something simple, but what do they mean by "chassis wings" ?

Thanks,
Simo' 😉
I think its the bargeboards as well...
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

bauc wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 11:03
Webber2011 wrote:

Thanks,
Simo' 😉
Agreed. The midwing, the only other thing they could be talking about, is the wing below and just ahead of the rear wing.

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
bauc wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 11:03
Webber2011 wrote:

Thanks,
Simo'
Agreed. The midwing, the only other thing they could be talking about, is the wing below and just ahead of the rear wing.
Read yesterday that they were bringing a new front wings and other minor aero upgrades (probably small changes to the bargeboard area that work with the new FW).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtthsMlw

Incredible.
In a quick guess this sounds like a system that automatically sets brake bias depending on where you are on the track.
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/118 ... 73345?s=19