2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Jackles-UK wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 03:09
The fact this thread has almost ten times more pages than the Williams & RP threads combined shows precisely the reason Mercedes would go McLaren over them; aside from maybe Ferrari they are easily the most talked about team on the grid (during their lean times just as much as their rich), steeped in F1 history, access to a worldwide fan base that even Mercedes themselves can only dream of, extraordinary technological facilities and a top-class team of talent already in place. Whilst the other two would offer some of the above perks, neither of them (along with many of the other big players it must be said) would offer anywhere near the whole package.

It’s all irrelevant for the meantime though if you ask me - Mercedes have helped shape the 2021 rules and I really can’t see them pulling out before they have a chance to participate in them. However, if their level drops and they’re no longer dominating in the way in which they have have been accustomed then I can feasibly see it happening at that point.
They bought Brawn. It had no history and no large following. Oh yeah they had won once.

diffuser

McG wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 01:56
diffuser wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 00:16
Ground Effect wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 21:04

You also mentioned Williams, do they have deep pockets too?
They don't but what's that got to do with it? I just mentioned them cause they've had a Merc PU since the beginning and Wolff actually came from there.

My point was, if they were now supplying a PU to McLaren to have a replacement works team ...Why wouldn't they have just choosen 1 of the 2 teams that have been loyal to them for the last few years.
I appreciate you trying to look at this from different angles, but it's a no brainer to go with McLaren. Small Soldier has already mentioned why, and there are also many other reasons.

A complete buyout yes go with Williams or RP, but that's obviously not what Merc want to do.

This is a win/win for McLaren and Merc and also opens up a leave strategy for Merc as a team in the future if they decide to leave (which I think they will).
Like I said, you could say that about the other 2 teams.

They could make William's their works team. It would be a win/win. Wolff, a former employee/owner, wanted to return the first team he fell in love with back to the Greatness. The same greatness that the William's name deserves!

Just trying to be objective.

diffuser

Manoah2u wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 00:00
Snorked wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 23:05
diffuser wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 20:27

U suggesting that Lando is leaving McLaren to drive for Merc?
The story is that Toto / Mercedes will now manage him, there's no suggestion of them getting him out of his recently signed contract with McLaren.
not that surprising with Mclaren going with Mercedes engines as of 2021
No it's not. The surprise is Merc offered.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
McG wrote:
diffuser wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 00:16
They don't but what's that got to do with it? I just mentioned them cause they've had a Merc PU since the beginning and Wolff actually came from there.

My point was, if they were now supplying a PU to McLaren to have a replacement works team ...Why wouldn't they have just choosen 1 of the 2 teams that have been loyal to them for the last few years.
I appreciate you trying to look at this from different angles, but it's a no brainer to go with McLaren. Small Soldier has already mentioned why, and there are also many other reasons.

A complete buyout yes go with Williams or RP, but that's obviously not what Merc want to do.

This is a win/win for McLaren and Merc and also opens up a leave strategy for Merc as a team in the future if they decide to leave (which I think they will).

They could make William's their works team. It would be a win/win. Wolff, a former employee/owner, wanted to return the first team he fell in love with back to the Greatness. The same greatness that the William's name deserves!

The main flaw in your logic is assuming that this is “Wolf’s” team... At the end of the day, it is the Mercedes board the one that decides... Furthermore, the fact that Wolf was part of Williams would have very little weight in such a decision, since nostalgia isn’t a factor to make a deal like this.

You aren’t been “objective”, so far you haven’t exposed a single reason why the other 2 would be a better candidate for a Mercedes “Works” team... Which is in essence a closer collaboration and giving priority to a team (it isn’t buying the team)... For Mercedes to have a works team, they need to pull out of F1 first (as a Chassis Manufacturer, Racing Team).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

diffuser wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 05:41

Mercedes did not choose McLaren to be their "works" team if they pull out, but they may be hedging their bets. Right now McLaren is 4th and looks to be on an upward trajectory, Williams is 10th, retiring cars to have spare parts for the next race, Things are not looking great over there. Racing Point is a fickle team that may be good while funding lasts, same way Force India was fine while Mallia had cash to burn. Once that dried up, the team was done as it was not self sustaining operation and they do not have a supercar brand to market using F1 like Ferrari or McLaren do.

All of this being said, Mercedes may have just added another horse to their potential stable, once they start thinking of pulling out, whoever of the 3 customers is the best customer at that moment will probably inherit "works" status. If Williams makes a top 3 car in 2021, they may end up being works "Mercedes" if Mercedes pulls out.

I am sure that part of the decision is to have an exit strategy in 5-10 years time.

_cerber1

I think that the McLaren transition to Mercedes engines was more profitable in all respects, price, power, reliability and efficiency. We just get the best engine for less money, without any interest from Mercedes.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 08:15
diffuser wrote:
McG wrote:

The main flaw in your logic is assuming that this is “Wolf’s” team... At the end of the day, it is the Mercedes board the one that decides... Furthermore, the fact that Wolf was part of Williams would have very little weight in such a decision, since nostalgia isn’t a factor to make a deal like this.

You aren’t been “objective”, so far you haven’t exposed a single reason why the other 2 would be a better candidate for a Mercedes “Works” team... Which is in essence a closer collaboration and giving priority to a team (it isn’t buying the team)... For Mercedes to have a works team, they need to pull out of F1 first (as a Chassis Manufacturer, Racing Team).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#1 I am being very objective.
#2 on sky sports Wolff said "The last time, they didn't give the PU to McLaren cause Niki said they didn't give it to RBR. Merc should be consistent and not give it to McLaren. The decision is now mine alone."
#3 I don't really believe the William's thing I just threw that out there as a possibility.
#4 I actually believe that this is nothing more than a PU deal. Nothing to do with a works deal. Merc is NOT going anywhere.
#5 I initially threw this out there to the people who thought this was a future works deal for McLaren to try and convince me.

diffuser

_cerber1 wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 09:49
I think that the McLaren transition to Mercedes engines was more profitable in all respects, price, power, reliability and efficiency. We just get the best engine for less money, without any interest from Mercedes.
I agree with this.

Big Tea

There is a lot of knowledge and experience at Mclaren that could be of use to Mercedes, not to mention their connections.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 12:00
_cerber1 wrote:

I agree with this.

Except mercedes is not the best engine

_cerber1

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 12:28
Zach Brown said they think the Mercedes engine is the best. Hamilton are getting ready to take on him 6 titles in a row.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclar ... 1/4551829/

genarro
genarro

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 12:28
diffuser wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 12:00
_cerber1 wrote:

I agree with this.

of course the Merc engine is the best..Ferrari have only recently made strides with the PU but i think that Merc still have the best ICE, where Ferrari have made gains was on the ERS/KERS side

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

There is often more than what meets the eye with news like this. From reading through everyone seems to be forgetting about the driver market, except for a few mentions of Norris.

Williams are in dire need of money/performance (aham, and spare parts!). If Williams is somehow brought out by another brand or even partners with a new engine manufacturer should we ever see one then Merc all but guarantees it's lost a seat for Russel.
Racing Point's seats are already locked out with Perez and Stroll.
Merc have junior drivers with potentially (A. nowhere to go. B. No decent place to go)

This deal will most likely 'buy' them a competitive seat for a junior driver and also gives them the possibility to evaluate Norris & Sainz if they do decided to replace Bottas in '21 or if Hamilton leaves the team/sport. Having the potential to evaluate Sainz/Norris/Russel/Ocon/Bottas will certainly come in handy if what they actually want is bargaining chips for Verstappen in '21.

AfzMoha
AfzMoha

Anyone heard the rumour that Lando is now managed by Mercedes as a result of the Merc deal. Can't believe Zak or McLaren would agree to that.

_cerber1

Yes, they write that now Toto Wolf is engaged in the career of Norris, but this does not mean at all that Lando will leave McLaren in 2021.