Commentary pets

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Commentary pets

Karun is the best addition they have made. Puts Ted to shame. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ENGINE TUNER

The commentary highlight of any race weekend is when Brundle travels to different corners around the track and talks about the behavior of the cars and drivers at key points. It is absolutely enlightening and I wish they did more of it.

Brundle is the gold standard of F1 commentary, whether in or out of the booth. Davidson is also good and a little better than Chandok. The rest can go. Di Resta is clueless , Herbert is a space cadet, Rosberg is a twat, Hill is ok, but outdated, Button is ok, but could use improvement, needs more time. Herbert can remain for comic relief.

Croft is useless, I'd rather a combo of Brundle and Davidson, but not sure who would do "play by play"(Varsha was good at it). Kravitz is technically deficient, not fit for the job.

Sky should replace Kravitz with Marc Priestley. and replace Croft with Bob Varsha. Keep either Brundle or Ant in the booth at all times, Karun if neither is available. Improve the track side and on board sound quality. Increase the on board replays, especially for the start, during the low action parts of the race(FOM stuff). More technical features, more features on the drivers.

strad

Mostly agree... got my vote.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

NathanOlder

So, I've asked my wife this morning about the skysports F1 team.
She watches qualifying and race days (as its on the tv for me) not so much Fridays as I watch that at work.

She's 30, never watched F1 before she met me and as I'm obsessed with it, its a big part of the household life.

I asked her about the SkySports F1 Team, who's good at their job, who does she enjoy listening to ect, and here's what she said.

Ant and Brundle are the best, she likes them and they explain things well.

Ted and Crofty she doesn't really like as they just annoy her.
Lezenby is boring.

The rest are all ok, and she named Herbert, Hill, Chandhok, Pinkham.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

The thing with Ted is he is like your mate from the pub keeping you amused while you are not there in person.
He is not good technically or an ex driver or a team principle, just a 'a bloke with access' who tries not to have a personal opinion.
I find him easy listening and do not expect too much from him, but almost always watch him.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Capharol

Big Tea wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 12:02
The thing with Ted is he is like your mate from the pub keeping you amused while you are not there in person.
He is not good technically or an ex driver or a team principle, just a 'a bloke with access' who tries not to have a personal opinion.
I find him easy listening and do not expect too much from him, but almost always watch him.
Ted is just a lovely chaotic guy, which is shown in his notebooks and he tries to simplfy it as much as he can.
Crofty can be annoying from time to time, but he is just a commentator

marmer

Ted's note are great the last one he just found lando chillit on a shipping box killing time and had a nice chat shows more than just the F1 in F1.

But when you really think about it Moaning about how they don't go into detail on a TV broadcast. How much f1 can someone watch. If you watch all the build up on sky and post race its most of your day anyway analysing something that is less than 2 hours long and most of it is actually mundane. So it's a good thing they go off topic from the technical side because it would be soo boring

Big Tea

marmer wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 13:36
Ted's note are great the last one he just found lando chillit on a shipping box killing time and had a nice chat shows more than just the F1 in F1.

But when you really think about it Moaning about how they don't go into detail on a TV broadcast. How much f1 can someone watch. If you watch all the build up on sky and post race its most of your day anyway analysing something that is less than 2 hours long and most of it is actually mundane. So it's a good thing they go off topic from the technical side because it would be soo boring
Did we ever find out if Lando was on that flight? and did he make it? :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

Big Tea wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 15:02
marmer wrote:

:lol: He certainly didn't know, And didnt look like he knew where to go if he was on the flight.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Capharol

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 15:27
Big Tea wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 15:02
marmer wrote:

:lol: He certainly didn't know, And didnt look like he knew where to go if he was on the flight.
but that is just Ted's way of working, i like it.
and thats why i watch Sky F1 and not the German RTL or dutch Ziggo sport, because when you like boring go watch these two broadcasters