2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 17:12
Ground Effect wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 14:56
diffuser wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 14:13

Well it's helped Haas. it would be a cost savings. if you could make it work.
I don’t think Haas have Championship ambitions. In such arrangements, it would be near impossible for both parties to be on equal footing.
Right but the Haas arrangement is more of a one way agreement. Haas can take or leave the parts. They don't really have input in thier design.

It all depends on what you're sharing Like a transmission would be easier than the whole rear end (including suspension).

If you're sharing the rear suspension, there could be a big debate about changes to it.
I agree, but you may end up spending too much time debating which way to go. Each party will only be looking out for their own best interest, since they’re direct competition for each other.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Mansell89

Given the available options McLaren Mercedes is the right deal. Ferrari was off the table (see Zak interview) and obviously Honda bridges were burnt sadly after probably just rushing to get a works deal before Honda were truly ready and then the eventual embarrassment they caused one another.

At least with Mercedes there should be reliability and a consistency that can help move McLaren closer to the podium places IF they continue to make gains in design and chassis. My only concern is around some of the 2014 stories from Lotus (there’s a podcast somewhere that explains this) (and Ron Dennis for McLaren) that indicates that customers may not have been having access to all of the engine modes. I know FIA regulations since are supposed to outlaw this but I can’t help but have my doubts.

If everything is genuinely equal then this would be really good and I welcome the opportunity it gives to begin benchmarking against the phenomenal works team that Mercedes have built.

Regardless, we are still talking about a longer term plan!

Jackles-UK

Even if the above is true (which I’m not convinced it is) it would make little difference switching suppliers anyway as McLaren are customers to both Renault and Mercedes - it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other. You could in fact argue this is less of a problem with Mercedes as they aren’t really a direct competitor in the way McLaren are with Renault so wouldn’t be as nervous handing down all the toys to aid their rivals.

Likewise the Lando rumours aren’t anything I’d be concerned about. If McLaren are racing near the front in 2021 he’ll be at McLaren, if Mercedes are still dominating and they want him they’ll come in for him then; F1 is a meritocracy and the best drivers almost always end up in the best cars - the academy which you were nurtured in makes little difference (see Ocon and Mercedes/Renault for example)

Pany

Reconstruction and relaunch of mclaren with top teams requires huge people commitment and enormous investiment. If this is the plan, staying with renault is too risky. Remember what they have done to Toro Rosso two year ago, to redbull five years ago and finally to themself this year. I specify I am Not redbull strong supporter. I support only drivers and I feel really sorry for Ricciardo

diffuser

Pany wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 14:12
Reconstruction and relaunch of mclaren with top teams requires huge people commitment and enormous investiment. If this is the plan, staying with renault is too risky. Remember what they have done to Toro Rosso two year ago, to redbull five years ago and finally to themself this year. I specify I am Not redbull strong supporter. I support only drivers and I feel really sorry for Ricciardo
The only people that feel sorry for Ricciardo are people that wished he'd stayed at RBR. Which really means they feel sorry for RBR. He clearly is not one of them and is laughing all the way to the bank. Something about RBR not wanting to make a huge commitment to one driver.

As for you other points...think you should try keeping up with F1 news more closely before making such statements.

Capharol

diffuser wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 15:26
Pany wrote:
The only people that feel sorry for Ricciardo are people that wished he'd stayed at RBR. Which really means they feel sorry for RBR. He clearly is not one of them and is laughing all the way to the bank. Something about RBR not wanting to make a huge commitment to one driver.

As for you other points...think you should try keeping up with F1 news more closely before making such statements.
I didn't want to react, but had to because that is a whole load of BS you're talking here .... sorry for RIC= sorry for RB :lol: :lol: :lol:

I feel sorry for Ricciardo as well because Renault got them with false promises, and Ricciardo felt for it, and now i feel sorry for him because Ricciardo is a good driver that deserves better then Renault.

but to get back to topic......
I would like to have seen him in a McLaren and i think he could have been better off :wink:

diffuser

Capharol wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 17:38
diffuser wrote:
Pany wrote:

I didn't want to react, but had to because that is a whole load of BS you're talking here .... sorry for RIC= sorry for RB :lol: :lol: :lol:

I feel sorry for Ricciardo as well because Renault got them with false promises, and Ricciardo felt for it, and now i feel sorry for him because Ricciardo is a good driver that deserves better then Renault.

I would like to have seen him in a McLaren and i think he could have been better off :wink:

When someone signs a 2 year contract with the option to exit after the first year. He knows exactly what he's getting into. Let's face it, in 2 years at Renault he'll make what it would have taken 4 at RBR.

I'm Fine with Sainz for now.

Pany

Dear Diffuser, try to be more polite firstly, then try to discuss about objective facts.

Edit Thunder: slight edit since you were talking about being polite..... :wink:

mwillems

Capharol wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 17:38
diffuser wrote:
Pany wrote:

Yes I agree, I feel sorry for Ric but I'm definitely not a red bull fan. I also was going to reply saying I'd have liked to see him in Orange. But then I changed my mind. We dont need that level of driver yet and the money is better spent on the car.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Marc.W

He had the chance to sign with McLaren, but chose a works drive, I love Ricciardo but he didn't believe McLaren would turn it around so quickly, and I'm super happy with the Sainz/Norris pairing, I hope we get quite a few more years of this line up.

bauc

Marc.W wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 10:35
He had the chance to sign with McLaren, but chose a works drive, I love Ricciardo but he didn't believe McLaren would turn it around so quickly, and I'm super happy with the Sainz/Norris pairing, I hope we get quite a few more years of this line up.
Same here, I would love to see SAI & NOR in Mclaren for the next 4-5 years for sure
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

f1rules

well i think none could forsee the turnaround of mclaren. im sure they hoped for it but even after winther testing they did not know themselfes, so how on earth ricciardo should have known after mclarens many bad years, if you would have asked me pre season i would have changed him for any of our drivers, but wittnesing how the season progressed, the great atmosphere in team, how they deliver and push each other on track, i dont think i would change any. Although im sure ricciardo would fit very well with his relaxed nature and good humor.

EDIT

and this is where it gets :shock: to talk about mclaren as a relaxed humorous team, "what a difference ten years make...."

Marc.W

That's the beauty of F1 isn't it? The only thing we can predict is that the Top 3 will stay the top 3, let's hope the budget cap changes that

f1rules

Another article from this unknown source, but shared by alex sala(https://twitter.com/AlessandroSala1) who i follow on twitter and shares good info normally, i dont know if its a copy of an autosport article or other magazine, but if true very nice insight into change in atmosphere at mclaren, i use translate, but gives clear idea what happened
https://extraconfidencial.com/noticias/ ... -tecnicos/

Big Tea

Lets do a little day dreaming here. I do not believe it, but some have been saying Mercedes is thinking of pulling the plug from F1. What would then happen to the race engine department?

Many, myself included have thought that it may be a good idea for Mclaren to have their own engine in F1 and their 'street cars'.

You have to be in it to win it? Dream on from here.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.