2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ispano6

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Red Bull looked like they had a few practice starts, and both RBR and STR looked to be in formation as if to practice for a tow. I will post trackside video and photos. Interestingly, the smell of the engines are peculiar. I could detect a burning smell from the Ferrari cars and also a different smell from Mercedes cars. I couldn't discern much scent of the Renault and Honda cars but the off throttle sound of the Hondas are super loud. A Porsche GT3 owner I'm attending with to watch the Porsche Cup thinks it might have something to do with engine braking to reduce the use and temps of the brakes.

Also, first report that Super Typhoon is weakening.
https://www.eurekalert.org/multimedia/pub/213832.php

Sieper

Why would they do that. Brake braking charges the battery, engine braking does not.

search

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 19:53
Marti_EF3 wrote:They probably knew that Saturday action would be cancelled before friday, only looking to all predictions, and that FP2 maybe would play a role on starting grid. So MAYBE all have their racing PU on at least FP2...
Could be... But, they will placing a lot of mileage on PU’s that need to make it to the end of the season... I still believe that if the teams had to choose between a “potential” starting grid where they are 1-2 positions behind or having to start at the back of the grid in the final races of the season because they need an additional PU, the teams will probably prefer to lose those couple of positions (which isn’t a guarantee yet, since we may very well have qualifying on Sunday).
definitely, especially in Ferrari's case, where the newest engine specification is a massive improvement, and where it needs to hold for eight races (while Verstappen has two ICEs of the newest generation for seven race weekends)

ispano6

Sieper wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 22:18
Why would they do that. Brake braking charges the battery, engine braking does not.
Probably a complex choreography of both, perhaps a compromise. Are you certain you have to apply brakes to trigger brake recovery? I was under the impression it starts the moment you're off throttle.

The reason my buddy suggested engine braking was just a guess in that the first corner requires heavy braking and quick throttle response but you don't want to overheat the brakes which will overheat the tires, causing them to wear quicker during sector 1.

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

Taken from reddit. People report that Max said to Dutch tv that they did 6 practice starts of which 4 failed and the 2 were ""ok""

diffuser

Sieper wrote:
My understanding is Engine braking is done with the mgu-k. The mgu-k goes into generate mode and charges the battery. Brake braking doesn't regenerate.

ispano6

Red Bull Honda fan zone

etusch

Sieper wrote:
Of course Engine braking makes all generation even if it happens during brake braking

loner

a sign Max will win this .. his engine still stalling :mrgreen:
para bellum.

Datco
Datco

If FP2 determines start positions then does the Parc feme rules apply to FP2 setup? Or can they still change settings, engine, etc for the race?

Sieper

loner wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 11:41
https://streamable.com/tvc4q
He talked about this in friday nights ziggo F1 show (they always have a 5 mins interview with Max) they tried a few new software settings (with the new engine). Last 2 tries went fine.

Sieper

etusch wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 09:09
Sieper wrote:
Of course Engine braking makes all generation even if it happens during brake braking
Thanks all who replied, stupid of me, I thought the energy was harvested of the energy lost during braking itself, but it is the engine braking that they can likely intensify via the mgu-k and that is the energy they harvest then?

etusch

Sieper wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 12:41
etusch wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 09:09
Sieper wrote:
Thanks all who replied, stupid of me, I thought the energy was harvested of the energy lost during braking itself, but it is the engine braking that they can likely intensify via the mgu-k and that is the energy they harvest then?
Front wheels are not linked mechanically any motor and there is only one mgu-k linked to rear wheel. Most of braking job made by front but rear brake does the recovery job. It must be vary from turn to turn and preprogrammed where it will make more regeneration and where lesser because of rear brake needs of turn. I think it is also programmed that if it will go generative mode or normal engine brake when off throttle but I am not sure about it.

Hino
Hino

maguetox
maguetox

loner wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 11:41
https://streamable.com/tvc4q
Ohhh yeesss......we are going to win this race. Susuka is going to be wild!!!!!