2019 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Re: 2019 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 11 - 13

Thanks @search

Enviado do meu SM-T820 através do Tapatalk

Mattchu

Mercedes know exactly what they are doing, their No1 driver is Hamilton and he`s the one they want to win the drivers championship, they also have a pretty good No2/wingman in Bottas but the team has to throw him a bone every now and then to keep him happy, what better way than making sure he wins one of the "races" on the calender...not many drivers have a win at Suzuka to their name, I`m sure it`s one Bottas will hold dearly.

Wingman happy, No1 driver should win the WDC so he`s happy, WCC in the bag, team happy...

17 down, 4 to go, crumbs it seems like just last month they where completing testing, where`s it gone :?:

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

With the Leclerc penalty for damage, same with unsafe release previously, the message is if you have damage don't pit and lose 30 seconds removing loose parts. Instead the president has been set just keep going and the speed do its thing then take just a 10 second hit.

The FIA is being extremely lenient on Ferrari and Leclerc.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Well Lewis is not reducing the 10 race wins to MS, it’s looking likely that isn’t going to go next year with the crap Merc strategy. He could have had 2vextra wins this year and reduced it below 10.

dans79

LM10 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 13:33
dans79 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 09:18
Well it's pretty obvious now what Ferrari is doing. They can't beat Mercedes on race pace so they're heavily skewing their set up towards qualifying, hoping to be able to grab P1 and P2. If they do that they have a chance of using tactics to pull off a win.
You don’t think that’s the only reason they’ve been crushing the rest of the grid since Singapore on pretty much every type of track, do you? :)
Also, “heavily skewing” a set up towards qualifying won’t make your inferior car win pole out of nowhere. Ferrari was no where near Mercedes until summer break, in both qualifying and race. Mercedes was not racing with Ferrari, they were playing ping pong with them.

Today we’ve seen Ferrari beating Mercedes in their own territory on pure pace. No one would have imagined Ferrari being on par with them, let alone beat them by 2.5 tenths.
Man, you still have a lot to learn about F1!
197 104 103 7

Wynters
Wynters

Edax wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 11:28
For the Vettel incident I can somewhat understand. Awarding him a false start would mean that Vettel would be disqualified for the next race. That would be a big embarrassment for ferrari and F1.
This is a good point and it's so fundamentally depressing.

Maybe I'm the last person to the party on this one but it's clear now that there are two sets of rules, one set for the top 6 (possibly just Ferrari but I'll be generous) and one set for the rest of the grid. It's equally clear that you can just straight up cheat with no penalty, regardless of how blatant it is.

That's the sport now, is it? Even ignoring the false starts and running people off the track in the rare event they actually get close enough to overtake, are we fine with having cars throwing debris into other cars now? Apparently so.

What happens at the next GP if Bottas just floors it as soon as the lights start to come on? He'll get a 10+ second lead out of it so...no investigation? Maybe a black-and-white flag? Or do they wait until the end of the race, see he's won by 6-seconds and give him a 5-second penalty?

If Vettel gets close to him, can he just rip off his wing mirror and throw it at him? Saves putting him into the wall when he tries to over take, I suppose. More 'good', 'hard' racing, particularly if Vettel is stupid enough to avoid him rather than let himself be driven into and flipped.

I get it. F1 doesn't produce an endorphin injection every 3-5 seconds for those who don't appreciate the technical aspects of the sport and it doesn't sell to the US audiences. Maybe more graphics showing made-up data? Perhaps if we added cheerleaders in the pitlane? At least it'd give the pit crews something to do between pitstops. And we could have stewarding decisions decided by polls like Driver of the Day! At least there'd be better consistency. Are we going to see 'cage match qualifying' and team principals bursting into press conferences and hitting each other with chairs? "And Steiner has just put Wolff through the table! Can you believe it?"

The sport I love is one where technical ability, skill and execution are the deciding factors, not what appeals most to the crowd. That's what F1 is to me. I guess I'm wrong.

:(

LM10
LM10

dans79 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 14:10
LM10 wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Well it's pretty obvious now what Ferrari is doing. They can't beat Mercedes on race pace so they're heavily skewing their set up towards qualifying, hoping to be able to grab P1 and P2. If they do that they have a chance of using tactics to pull off a win.
You don’t think that’s the only reason they’ve been crushing the rest of the grid since Singapore on pretty much every type of track, do you? :)
Also, “heavily skewing” a set up towards qualifying won’t make your inferior car win pole out of nowhere. Ferrari was no where near Mercedes until summer break, in both qualifying and race. Mercedes was not racing with Ferrari, they were playing ping pong with them.

Today we’ve seen Ferrari beating Mercedes in their own territory on pure pace. No one would have imagined Ferrari being on par with them, let alone beat them by 2.5 tenths.
Then teach me, please.

jz11
jz11

loner wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 13:30
why Masi seems to take long time making a decision is he kinda hesitating person iam noticing that for some races now ?!!
maybe because bank wire transfers don't happen instantly :D

but on a more serious note - I think there is a very definite lack of leadership in there, they have to debate to come to conclusion that is fine with everyone involved, hence it takes so long and decisions are quite controversial

Sierra117

Wynters wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 14:11
Edax wrote:
For the Vettel incident I can somewhat understand. Awarding him a false start would mean that Vettel would be disqualified for the next race. That would be a big embarrassment for ferrari and F1.

Maybe I'm the last person to the party on this one but it's clear now that there are two sets of rules, one set for the top 6 (possibly just Ferrari but I'll be generous) and one set for the rest of the grid. It's equally clear that you can just straight up cheat with no penalty, regardless of how blatant it is.

That's the sport now, is it? Even ignoring the false starts and running people off the track in the rare event they actually get close enough to overtake, are we fine with having cars throwing debris into other cars now? Apparently so.

What happens at the next GP if Bottas just floors it as soon as the lights start to come on? He'll get a 10+ second lead out of it so...no investigation? Maybe a black-and-white flag? Or do they wait until the end of the race, see he's won by 6-seconds and give him a 5-second penalty?

If Vettel gets close to him, can he just rip off his wing mirror and throw it at him? Saves putting him into the wall when he tries to over take, I suppose. More 'good', 'hard' racing, particularly if Vettel is stupid enough to avoid him rather than let himself be driven into and flipped.

I get it. F1 doesn't produce an endorphin injection every 3-5 seconds for those who don't appreciate the technical aspects of the sport and it doesn't sell to the US audiences. Maybe more graphics showing made-up data? Perhaps if we added cheerleaders in the pitlane? At least it'd give the pit crews something to do between pitstops. And we could have stewarding decisions decided by polls like Driver of the Day! At least there'd be better consistency. Are we going to see 'cage match qualifying' and team principals bursting into press conferences and hitting each other with chairs? "And Steiner has just put Wolff through the table! Can you believe it?"

The sport I love is one where technical ability, skill and execution are the deciding factors, not what appeals most to the crowd. That's what F1 is to me. I guess I'm wrong.

I think you and I and a few others are an unfortunate minority. The unrealistic audiences ask for constant excitement but don't realise that giving it all the time just raises the threshold and so everything before gets "boring". Even more importantly, if they only focus on the technical ability and execution and driver ability, it would first off, produce the so-called "boring" results and drive audiences away. How is that a bad thing? You'll end up with less revenue, less to go around to the winning teams and you get what they've all been asking for recently - the cost cap. This would be a natural cost cap. That would level the playing field dramatically. Less unrealistic demands and audiences is not a bad thing, because as the revenue goes down you'll have less to spend on incredibly intensive and expensive endeavours to gain 0.005 of a second. While I personally prefer said endeavours to gain 0.005 seconds, I don't mind at all if the costs went down naturally by way of natural demographics like us. Anyway, it's OT so I'll leave it there. Whatever they do, I hope it's for the actual spirit of racing and not for, let's face it ... lining the pockets of suits who couldn't care less about the actual racing or mechanical/skill aspect of the sport (a la video game and movie industry nowadays).
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

dans79 wrote:
LM10 wrote:
dans79 wrote:

As we all do! It's a always changing situation...

Nevertheless, with such a setup and pace advantage Mercs had, only 13s on the end?
In almost 40 years of watching F1 I've never seen a team making such strides towards qualifying and still be able to have good pace on race day.

Seems, at least to me, that there's a real unlocking or improvement of performance from Ferrari, even if not enough on race day. But they are surely closer.

Let's just hope they can keep it for the rest of the season affording us to watch some close races!

Enviado do meu SM-T820 através do Tapatalk

Xwang
Xwang

What are your opinion on the fact that some turns that were difficult one now, with today's cars, are like straight?
Japan circuit is one that has not changed a lot in the last years and highlights this trend.

El Scorchio

Wynters wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 14:11
Edax wrote:

Agree. The current lack of severity in penalties, and lack of penalties regardless are making it more beneficial to bend or break the rules than adhere to them in increasing circumstances. One day someone will take it too far or someone will get hurt and there will understandably be complaints about dangerous precedents having been set. Or the first person to actuall get punished will rightly say 'Why me?' when others got away with it.

They've made a big rod for their own backs by overlooking a number of incidents during this season. It's now OK (under SOME circumstances but not others, just to make it even more confusing) to:

Exceed track limits
Jump the start of the race
Drive around full speed with bits hanging off your car and falling off into the path of others (But it's NOT OK to cut a bollard on pitlane entry -that gains you no advantage- to avoid this happening?!)
Unsafely release a car in the pit lane
Punt another car off the track when going for an overtake (sometimes but not others on the whims of the stewards)
Forcing another car off track when defending
Cutting a chicane to avoid losing a place (At Monza but not Montreal)

What a mess. I dread to think of how the reverse grid races are going to go down with all that in mind.

Edax
Edax

Restomaniac wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 11:47
Edax wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 10:12
Attempted murder by the FIA.

Check around the 15 second mark. That piece was much bigger than I thought at the time.
Yeah it was crazy. But after that as well. It was pretty obvious that Leclerc’s mirror mount was failing. Schumacher was forced to pull in once to remove a mirror, which was working itself loose. But in this case they just happily let it happen, and kept the camera’s on it to see if they could capture another Massa type incident. Ridiculous.

And for Leclerc and Verstappen. It probably should be a penalty. However in end these things happen and there was no bad intent. I do get the feeling that Leclerc is becoming a second Grosean. Yes he is quick, but in order to be that quick he has to drive much closer to the limit than some of the other top drivers, there seems to be not a lot of margin with him.
Erm Raikkonen was given a Penalty for jump start and he just got an in race penalty.
No Raikkonen also got points added to his license, as did Kyviat and Ericsson for jump start and incorrect placement in the box.

Juzh

more laps

P02 leclerc 1.27.253
https://streamable.com/bqxyq

P06 albon 1.27.851
https://streamable.com/xh556

P07 sainz 1.28.304
https://streamable.com/b23zb

dans79

miguelalvesreis wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 14:28
Nevertheless, with such a setup and pace advantage Mercs had, only 13s on the end?
In almost 40 years of watching F1 I've never seen a team making such strides towards qualifying and still be able to have good pace on race day.

Seems, at least to me, that there's a real unlocking or improvement of performance from Ferrari, even if not enough on race day. But they are surely closer.
The new front wing, as well as some of the previous updates has given them enough downforce at the front, that they can now more easily get the tires into the proper window.

What shows that they are skewing there set up towards qualifying, is the large amount of tire deg they still have. Even post race vettel himself mentioned it.

The 13 seconds, is protecting the engine, every team now does this once they've consolidated their finishing position.
197 104 103 7