2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

10 minutes of hamilton chasing vettel towards the end. 349 kmh at one point :shock: :
https://streamable.com/0j6t6

fastest lap - new lap record. no uselss commentary, just engine sounds
https://streamable.com/yk5jz

LM10

zibby43 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 20:49

4) I'm not totally surprised, but I'm a little surprised, that the bigger story in this thread seems to be a 1-3 finish vs. a 1-2 finish and not Merc's 6th consecutive Constructors' Championship.
Maybe because that's been clear for a couple of months now. Not surprising in any way. A harder-fought WCC title would have triggered more emotions, I guess.

f1jcw

zibby43 wrote:
Couple of thoughts:

1) Hamilton wasn't going to hold onto the win with the 1-stopper that he was ultimately left on; he took too much out of the tires.

2) How Merc handled HAM earlier in the race sealed his fate.

3) At the end of the day, with the strategy Hamilton was left with, pitting a second time was the best option to avoid a tire going kaboom (resulting in a finish outside the top 10 or DNF; remember what happened to Ferrari at Silverstone a few years ago).

HAM likely lost a pretty nailed-on 2nd, but only surrendered 2 points (due to achieving the Fastest Lap and bringing in a points haul of 16, as opposed to 18).

4) I'm not totally surprised, but I'm a little surprised, that the bigger story in this thread seems to be a 1-3 finish vs. a 1-2 finish and not Merc's 6th consecutive Constructors' Championship.

5) Bottas deserved to win that race. He didn't put a foot wrong, and he put Merc in the driver's seat at the beginning of the race with his start, which he earned from his better qualifying position. I'm not saying Hamilton also didn't deserve to win with better strategy, but there's no way that Bottas didn't deserve to win, either.
Disagree, Lewis had a good chance to win, 10 laps left, 8-9 seconds difference and Bottas wasn’t making any impact on the time.

Tyres going boom? You are dreaming, that was never going to happen, why raise it, it’s absurd.

e30ernest

f1jcw wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 23:55
zibby43 wrote:
Couple of thoughts:

1) Hamilton wasn't going to hold onto the win with the 1-stopper that he was ultimately left on; he took too much out of the tires.

2) How Merc handled HAM earlier in the race sealed his fate.

3) At the end of the day, with the strategy Hamilton was left with, pitting a second time was the best option to avoid a tire going kaboom (resulting in a finish outside the top 10 or DNF; remember what happened to Ferrari at Silverstone a few years ago).

HAM likely lost a pretty nailed-on 2nd, but only surrendered 2 points (due to achieving the Fastest Lap and bringing in a points haul of 16, as opposed to 18).

5) Bottas deserved to win that race. He didn't put a foot wrong, and he put Merc in the driver's seat at the beginning of the race with his start, which he earned from his better qualifying position. I'm not saying Hamilton also didn't deserve to win with better strategy, but there's no way that Bottas didn't deserve to win, either.
Disagree, Lewis had a good chance to win, 10 laps left, 8-9 seconds difference and Bottas wasn’t making any impact on the time.

Tyres going boom? You are dreaming, that was never going to happen, why raise it, it’s absurd.
I think the only reason Bottas wasn't making any impact was because he knew Lewis was stopping one more time, so he wasn't pushing to preserve the car/tires.

TAG

e30ernest wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 15:24
Is the new tire wear percentage graphics based on anything?
It's based on fancy, whim and folly, with some fairy dust sprinkles for extra entertainment value.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

zibby43

LM10 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 23:18
zibby43 wrote:

Maybe because that's been clear for a couple of months now. Not surprising in any way. A harder-fought WCC title would have triggered more emotions, I guess.
I didn't say I was surprised that Merc won the Constructors' Championship.

With respect to this year, it was mostly just a matter of "when." That said, Mercedes just accomplished something that has only been done once before, ever, in the history of the sport. And with only Hamilton or Bottas able to win the WDC, they've also ensured they'll achieve something never achieved before: 6 consecutive "Doubles."

We just witnessed history, and there wasn't much talk about it, which was surprising.

zibby43

f1jcw wrote:

Of course Bottas wasn't making an impact. At that point, he was cruising, protecting his tires after being told Lewis was going to make another stop. When it comes to absurd, how do you know what state Lewis' tires were in? RIC made it to the end, but he said he barely made it (driving at a much slower pace) and started losing temperature in his fronts near the end.

The most likely outcome was that Lewis would've been overtaken by Bottas as his tires continued to drop off, leaving him vulnerable to a Ferrari that could've easily passed him on the straight.

selvam_e2002

if even vettel passed Hamliton, he still in 3 rd place nothing changed. They should tried that. Even as a fan of F1, I am disappointed with Merc call.

seems Bottas will give tough fight with Hamilton for remaining races.

f1jcw

zibby43 wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 07:12
f1jcw wrote:

Of course Bottas wasn't making an impact. At that point, he was cruising, protecting his tires after being told Lewis was going to make another stop. When it comes to absurd, how do you know what state Lewis' tires were in? RIC made it to the end, but he said he barely made it (driving at a much slower pace) and started losing temperature in his fronts near the end.

The most likely outcome was that Lewis would've been overtaken by Bottas as his tires continued to drop off, leaving him vulnerable to a Ferrari that could've easily passed him on the straight.
When was the last time a tyre exploded? Lewis tyres were not even that old, they was easily going to last another 10 laps. Bottas would have not only gone a second a lap faster but also attemtped to overtake at the end, and the way Bottas treats tyres they wasn't going to be much better. It was race fixing by Toto for the simple fact he wanted Bottas to get the win for some reason. What is the point of being given an alternative strategy that puts you 20 seconds behind when you finally do get to pit but then are not able to take advantage of its benefits, he was doubly shafted by Merc.
Once by leaving him out longer for no apparent reason.
Pitting him again for no apparent reason, they had everything to lose and nothing to gain by doing it.

search

f1jcw wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 09:54
When was the last time a tyre exploded? Lewis tyres were not even that old, they was easily going to last another 10 laps.
the same applies to Bottas though, who only pitted for mediums 4 laps earlier than Hamilton. I don't really think there was a need to pit either of the cars a second time, but to keep things "fair" between them, they did the same with both.

Thereby Hamilton ended up with the worse outcome this time, but in the end it didn't make much of a difference. He may have finished 2nd ahead of Vettel if both him and Bottas had only pitted once, but it's hard to say.

f1jcw

search wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 11:10
f1jcw wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 09:54
When was the last time a tyre exploded? Lewis tyres were not even that old, they was easily going to last another 10 laps.
the same applies to Bottas though, who only pitted for mediums 4 laps earlier than Hamilton. I don't really think there was a need to pit either of the cars a second time, but to keep things "fair" between them, they did the same with both.

Thereby Hamilton ended up with the worse outcome this time, but in the end it didn't make much of a difference. He may have finished 2nd ahead of Vettel if both him and Bottas had only pitted once, but it's hard to say.
This "fairness" is false and only works one way. If you are onabout fairness, how was it fair to leave lewis out after Bottas pitted, losing Lewis massive amount of time?

Please answer me how that works in "fairness"?

Why is it fair that lewis race is compromised twice?

search

well, the one in the lead always gets the better strategy. I guess they were waiting for a safety car with Hamilton then, same as in Sochi (or in several other occasions).

Sometimes it works out, most of the time it doesn't. Would you call for him to let Bottas through if it did?

Artur Craft

Juzh wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 21:55
fastest lap - new lap record. no uselss commentary, just engine sounds
it would be very tight to break the 2005 record if it wasn't for the use of drs + the tow from the car ahead. It's still unbelievable that a record from 2005 survived this long

dans79

search wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 13:03
Would you call for him to let Bottas through if it did?
Nope, but then my opinion of Bottas is, not very high.
197 104 103 7