2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LM10

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

zibby43 wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 07:06
LM10 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 23:18
zibby43 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 20:49

4) I'm not totally surprised, but I'm a little surprised, that the bigger story in this thread seems to be a 1-3 finish vs. a 1-2 finish and not Merc's 6th consecutive Constructors' Championship.
Maybe because that's been clear for a couple of months now. Not surprising in any way. A harder-fought WCC title would have triggered more emotions, I guess.
I didn't say I was surprised that Merc won the Constructors' Championship.

With respect to this year, it was mostly just a matter of "when." That said, Mercedes just accomplished something that has only been done once before, ever, in the history of the sport. And with only Hamilton or Bottas able to win the WDC, they've also ensured they'll achieve something never achieved before: 6 consecutive "Doubles."

We just witnessed history, and there wasn't much talk about it, which was surprising.
I agree. History has been witnessed and there should have been more talk about it. It'll take many many years to see another example like Mercedes.

digitalrurouni

Bill wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 17:49
Mercedes has done well for themselves but they should have been beaten last year if Ferrari and Vettel were not constantly making mistakes. These year should have been the closest between top three if fia and Brawn didn't come with a genius idea of changing the front wing.The dominance of Mercedes has been deliberately prolonged to the detriment of f1 and viewers interest. Fia uses a lot Mercedes cars you got to wonder if they is no implicit favoritism and corruption.
My eyes rolled up in to my head when I read about the front wing change and that meant the FIA prolonged the Mercedes dominance LOL. That's some funny stuff. They all use McLaren ECUs in the cars that's why McLaren is winning right? Oh the tires are made by an Italian company called Pirelli and they put tires on Ferrari road cars so that's why Ferrari are winning right? Oh but they made thinner gauge tires to help Mercedes win right? LOLOLOL

TAG

Bill wrote:
Mercedes has done well for themselves but they should have been beaten last year if Ferrari and Vettel were not constantly making mistakes. These year should have been the closest between top three if fia and Brawn didn't come with a genius idea of changing the front wing.The dominance of Mercedes has been deliberately prolonged to the detriment of f1 and viewers interest. Fia uses a lot Mercedes cars you got to wonder if they is no implicit favoritism and corruption.
Curious opinion you've got there. The flip side to that is a broad consensus that the one reason the FiA has changed the regulations more times than their underwear since 2014 has been to unsettle Mercedes instead o favor them.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Bill

Front wing change was put to a vote and Mercedes was in favor of it and voted yes because they knew it favors their aero philosophy and hurt high rake cars like Rbr and Ferrari

Bill

By the way Pirelli Is a Chinese company with Italian origin one of their big customers is Mercedes

digitalrurouni

Bill wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 18:13
Front wing change was put to a vote and Mercedes was in favor of it and voted yes because they knew it favors their aero philosophy and hurt high rake cars like Rbr and Ferrari
And you are surprised? This is F1 not play dates for kids. These are multimillion dollar corporations fighting to win and show off their tech. And AFAIK this was introduced as a step to get closer racing and less aerodynamic flux when a car is right up another car's gearbox. I am quite entertained by your conspiracy theory.

Mattchu

The best team of the latest generation...probably!

Fair play to Mercedes, they do seem a bit "corporate" at times but they have the right attitude and obviously have a very highly skilled workforce, they have the best all round package and deserved to win...

Will it be the same next year? sorry, I don`t have 2020 vision...

ENGINE TUNER

Great team but the strategy department is completely lost, first pit stop for BOT several laps too soon, for HAM several laps too late. If BOT had any type of problem they would have given away an easy victory to Ferrari. The strategy department is by far the weakest part of the Merc team.

Just_a_fan

Artur Craft wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 14:09
Juzh wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 21:55
fastest lap - new lap record. no uselss commentary, just engine sounds
it would be very tight to break the 2005 record if it wasn't for the use of drs + the tow from the car ahead. It's still unbelievable that a record from 2005 survived this long
It shows that the FIA have been very successful in limiting the pace of the cars over the years. The rules have kpet the engineers in check - otherwise, all of the mid 2000s records would have gone long ago.

It's impressive that a car carrying a couple of hundred kgs more mass can be quicker than one that was so lightweight back in 2005.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Bill wrote:
Fia uses a lot Mercedes cars you got to wonder if they is no implicit favoritism and corruption.
Really? You think that because Mercedes sells the FIA a handful of special cars, the FIA are going to give them 6 world titles? :roll:

Do you believe the Earth is flat and that aliens walk amongst us too? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just_a_fan

Bill wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 18:13
I think you'll find that Mercedes have been using the front wing as a central part of their aero philosophy since back when they were Brawn GP. Indeed, they were the team that really got the outwash front wing to work properly when everyone else was arguing about double diffusers.

So, no, the changes didn't favour Mercedes over Ferrari / Redbull at all.

f1jcw

search wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 13:03
well, the one in the lead always gets the better strategy. I guess they were waiting for a safety car with Hamilton then, same as in Sochi (or in several other occasions).

Sometimes it works out, most of the time it doesn't. Would you call for him to let Bottas through if it did?
Again this is false. There is quite a few times that Lewis has being leading and Bottas gets the pit first. As I said the is ‘fairness’ and "equality’ is very uneven.

search

I can't remember a single race where the team gave Bottas the better strategy to get him in front of Hamilton. And nor can I see a single reason, why they should have done it the other way around yesterday

dans79

f1jcw wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 19:20
Again this is false. There is quite a few times that Lewis has being leading and Bottas gets the pit first. As I said the is ‘fairness’ and "equality’ is very uneven.
Yep, For example in Spain this year, they let Bottas pit first twice, even though he was behind.
197 104 103 7

cokata

Juzh wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 21:55
10 minutes of hamilton chasing vettel towards the end. 349 kmh at one point :shock: :
https://streamable.com/0j6t6
https://streamable.com/0j6t6

fastest lap - new lap record. no uselss commentary, just engine sounds
https://streamable.com/yk5jz
https://streamable.com/yk5jz
Thanks Juhz, you are the MVP with those videos.

Can we get a similar telemetry from Vettel's ferrari when he was defending, i am curious to see what at the top speed and how much clipping there is when the PU is turned up to 11. That Ferrari is a rocket!