HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
izzy

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

El Scorchio wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 15:05
To be truthful this is on the stewards rather than the pros and cons of halo vs screen or otherwise.

Leclercs car should have been flagged straight away. That's the one bulletproof way of avoiding the incident in this circumstance.
it's not one or the other, you really need both. the stewards can't always stop bits coming off cars, just sometimes

El Scorchio

Agree that's true. (Massa and the spring was unavoidable for example) But it would have been easy to avoid today, when it was clear from the footage that that endplate was hanging on by a thread and there was more than opportunity to force that car to pit and make it safe. Can't blame Leclerc- he probably couldn't see it, but both Ferrari and the stewards would have been culpable if Hamilton got hit and injured by that when it flew off the car.

You can make the cars as structurally sound as possible, but it's all for nothing if people don't do the responsible thing.

FW17

El Scorchio wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 14:46
Is that the debris that ripped Hamilton's wing mirror off the car? Extremely lucky it didn't enter the cockpit. It would have done a lot of damage, halo or no halo.
I thought it was only the endplate that flew off, but it looks much larger than that, maybe the top wing flap too

Anyway, I think the screen is not the right solution, maybe just some kevlar strings strung vertically between the halo and cockpit bukhead

izzy

El Scorchio wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 15:16
Agree that's true. (Massa and the spring was unavoidable for example) But it would have been easy to avoid today, when it was clear from the footage that that endplate was hanging on by a thread and there was more than opportunity to force that car to pit and make it safe. Can't blame Leclerc- he probably couldn't see it, but both Ferrari and the stewards would have been culpable if Hamilton got hit and injured by that when it flew off the car.

You can make the cars as structurally sound as possible, but it's all for nothing if people don't do the responsible thing.
oh yes i agree. they have to do everything from both ends and today they didn't. Halo is great but not 100%. Carbon fibre all over the track too, and then fining Ferrari a few K was a bit feeble

Manoah2u

FW17 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 14:40
Today the debris flying around made quiet an impact.

Wonder if FIA will further improve on the halo

https://www.sportvideos.tv/wp-content/u ... .39.11.png
geesh, shivers running down my spine seeing this picture.
absolute more bonkers that FIA didn't intervene.

they gave LeClerc an immediate black/white flag a few races ago within nearly seconds after driving dangerously,
they should have immediately given him the meatball flag when the wing was scraping on the ground. #-o
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle

FW17 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 14:40
Today the debris flying around made quiet an impact.

Wonder if FIA will further improve on the halo

https://www.sportvideos.tv/wp-content/u ... .39.11.png
It looks very serious, but it's quite light for it's size and with new and improved helmet standards, a hit to the helmet wouldn't even influence Hamilton's race. Suits are designed and tested on impact of small sharp objects like carbon fiber.

The things that are dangerous are small heavy objects, like Barichello's spring, for which they improved the helmets or big and heavy (like nosecones and wheels), where the HALO comes into play.

Let's not get carried away in stuff that looks scary, but is pretty safe.

Just_a_fan

Whilst the impact of that piece might not have been as bad as some might suggest, an impact on the helmet could well have been enough to cause Hamilton to crash as a reflex response e.g. a big steering wheel twitch. At that point on the track, the speeds are high and there is just plain Armco. Any such accident there is going to be big.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 19:16
Whilst the impact of that piece might not have been as bad as some might suggest, an impact on the helmet could well have been enough to cause Hamilton to crash as a reflex response e.g. a big steering wheel twitch. At that point on the track, the speeds are high and there is just plain Armco. Any such accident there is going to be big.
Possible but not likely. Thats stuff of movies and bad drivers on the road. As any motor bike rider knows who has head butted an occasional small bird, stone or blown tire piece, you don't twitch, you just go on with what you're doing at that moment and going "what the f" in your mind/helmet. Especially when you're 100% concentrated like a f1 driver will be.

Manoah2u

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 19:16
I remember a spring flying into Massa's helmet, and the outcome of that.
Really happy that didn't happen with another driver. But LeClerc's wing came mighty close to being a great hazard.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Schuttelberg

Marcus Erricson has said that the aero-screen is a far better solution.

I personally find it more 'sexy' as well. Some people have obviously gotten used to it, but for me the halo is the seal/hologram of everything incorrect in Formula 1.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Scorpaguy

Schuttelberg wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 23:53

I personally find it more 'sexy' as well. Some people have obviously gotten used to it, but for me the halo is the seal/hologram of everything incorrect in Formula 1.
1. Crap can the HALO

2. Cut 1 meter off the length of the car

3. Cut 0.5 meters off the width of the car

...that would be a start. As for the aero-screen, yes, it looks much better.

Schuttelberg

Scorpaguy wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 00:29
Schuttelberg wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 23:53

1. Crap can the HALO

2. Cut 1 meter off the length of the car

3. Cut 0.5 meters off the width of the car

...that would be a start. As for the aero-screen, yes, it looks much better.
Another thing I found interesting about what ME said was that the aero screen was more protective against smaller debris like dampers etc. (Massa, Hungary 2009).

But I think F1 will ensure to ignore what we fans want and serve us the cold turkey we are used to because they know we will watch anyway.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

El Scorchio

The Aero screen is absolute garbage. Those indy cars now look like they've got rubbishy cartoon faces and eyes like in the film 'cars'.
The halo may be not ideal either but it's ten times better looking than the other monstrosity.

siskue2005

El Scorchio wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 03:42
The Aero screen is absolute garbage. Those indy cars now look like they've got rubbishy cartoon faces and eyes like in the film 'cars'.
The halo may be not ideal either but it's ten times better looking than the other monstrosity.
The aero screen looks bad coz it is just a bolt on device over the already existing car and chassis

Instead we should be working on something like this which is perfectly integrated to the entire car, we can cut off the top part elegantly to make to open

El Scorchio

siskue2005 wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 06:28
El Scorchio wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 03:42
The aero screen looks bad coz it is just a bolt on device over the already existing car and chassis

Instead we should be working on something like this which is perfectly integrated to the entire car, we can cut off the top part elegantly to make to open
https://www.topgear.com/sites/default/f ... k=K13v3Bbs
TBH I really hate that as well! I get that safety is the issue and it’s probably inevitable in some way, but F1 with an (almost) enclosed cockpit just wouldn’t be F1 the same for me. It would almost be like not having open wheels or not having front wings. I can definitely see it in those rubbish looking gimmicky Formula E cars but I hope not F1.