Liberty is ruining F1

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Andres125sx

Re: Liberty is ruining F1

Cold Fussion wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 08:59
The 'tyre performance' graphics used during the Japanese GP were an absolute embarrassment.
At the spanish broadcast they didn´t know how to say it was absurd without being too rude :mrgreen:

They exposed theirselves when Hamilton went into pits for new tires just after their showed 70% left on his tires :lol: :lol: :lol:

If there´s someone with half a brain there we will not see it again

gshevlin

The bigger problem that Liberty needs to address is the streaming service launch, which was an embarrassment. It has diminished their credibility with fans.

Phil

I have to admit, i am quickly losing confidence in Liberty to make the right choices in regards to F1.

Maybe part of the problem is that Liberty is trying to expand the appeal of “motorsport” to an audience who doesnt care for it. E.g. in order to succeed and appeal to the masses, they are willing to dumb down the sport.

The potential risk is that you might end up alienating the real fans - the hardcore - in the process for a shallow form of entertainment, one which the masses might not stick around for.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

bauc

Phil wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 10:49
I have to admit, i am quickly losing confidence in Liberty to make the right choices in regards to F1.

Maybe part of the problem is that Liberty is trying to expand the appeal of “motorsport” to an audience who doesnt care for it. E.g. in order to succeed and appeal to the masses, they are willing to dumb down the sport.

The potential risk is that you might end up alienating the real fans - the hardcore - in the process for a shallow form of entertainment, one which the masses might not stick around for.
100% agree on this, spot on...
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

RZS10

Do i misremember criticizing the new g forces 'analysis' in here or was my post deleted for some inexplicable reason? wtf

Lotus102

Zynerji wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 16:39
I thought "Formula" just meant an agreed upon set of regulations that define the boundaries of what shall not be allowed.

It's the addition of "must be included" that I find myself on the fence about...
The term 'formula' as applied to racing dates back to when rules were intended to balance cars of different characteristics against each other, and you had sliding scales e.g. a maximum engine capacity for supercharged or normally aspirated engines which varied according to the weight of the car. E.g. the 1938-9 Grand Prix regs, where the sliding scales were quite complex (e.g. if you had a car with a supercharged engine of 666cc it could be down to the minimum weight of 400kg, but if you went for the maximum supercharged capacity of 3,000cc the car had to weigh no less than 850kg, or you could go anywhere in the middle, say 1,800cc and 618kg). Even these were not a true 'formula' - the term comes from yacht racing, with rules like the International Rule, where measurements like length, beam, sail area and displacement were fed into a calculation - literally a mathematical formula - to provide their rating, so the designers could play with different dimensions to try to produce the fastest yacht for any given rating. 'Formula 1' was never a formula series in the true sense of the word, although it did start out with elements of that with the sliding scale of engine capacity and supercharging.

F1 is technically a 'restricted class' - that is, absolute restrictions are placed on various aspects of the car, rather than different characteristics being balanced against each other.

SiLo

Id rather they showed the graphic as a function of what Pirelli recommend for each tyre.

So rather than a percentage is just a number of laps against the recommendation of Pirelli. For example, Lap 15/35 (15 laps driven / 35 recommended life by Pirelli).

Then if they run longer than recommended you will know there could be a significant drop in pace. If there isn't a drop in pace, they can change the recommended tyre life to whatever the current longest runner is, you could even have a little icon for that current driver next to the number as it goes up.

So for Mexico, they said the Hard would do 50 laps. But once Max went over 50 laps he would get a little icon (his name, or number or whatever) and it just keeps counting. Then all other drivers would have Maxs' icon next to the count as it keeps going up.
Felipe Baby!

strad

RZS10 wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 13:40
Do i misremember criticizing the new g forces 'analysis' in here or was my post deleted for some inexplicable reason? wtf
I think you're thinking of this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2160&start=1860
Almost to the bottom of this page.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

rscsr

SiLo wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 15:07
Id rather they showed the graphic as a function of what Pirelli recommend for each tyre.

So rather than a percentage is just a number of laps against the recommendation of Pirelli. For example, Lap 15/35 (15 laps driven / 35 recommended life by Pirelli).

Then if they run longer than recommended you will know there could be a significant drop in pace. If there isn't a drop in pace, they can change the recommended tyre life to whatever the current longest runner is, you could even have a little icon for that current driver next to the number as it goes up.

So for Mexico, they said the Hard would do 50 laps. But once Max went over 50 laps he would get a little icon (his name, or number or whatever) and it just keeps counting. Then all other drivers would have Maxs' icon next to the count as it keeps going up.
Or instead just bin that graphic since it never tells anything but a guess anyway.

RZS10

But they have to find some way to put 'Amazon Web Services' on the screen :lol: