2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
jjn9128

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

izzy wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 17:42
i don't suppose they'll be satisfied with designing the brakes and a few other bits and pieces. I read, probably on AMuS, that atm there are 50 boxes defining the body/aero! 50!!
Do you mean 50 now or in the draft 2021? 50 distinct boxes is pretty much what we have now.

There will always be a philosophical gap, the problem is that Liberty/FIA can't stamp any authority, especially at this point in the year where they need unanimity, which is the ultimate legacy of Bernie and Mosely. They tried on the divide and conquer hard-line approach so the teams basically unionized and got a say in the rules.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

strad

And they really need to find a way to change that. We need a strong organizing body that can lay down the law. Right or wrong what they say should be what goes.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

jjn9128

But now they have power they're not going to give it up. For all Horner's bluster in the press about letting Liberty/FIA/F1 come up with the rules and the teams following - his teams have been one of the biggest road blocks to these 2021 regs.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

izzy
izzy

jjn9128 wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 18:52
Do you mean 50 now or in the draft 2021? 50 distinct boxes is pretty much what we have now.

There will always be a philosophical gap, the problem is that Liberty/FIA can't stamp any authority, especially at this point in the year where they need unanimity, which is the ultimate legacy of Bernie and Mosely. They tried on the divide and conquer hard-line approach so the teams basically unionized and got a say in the rules.
is it as many as 50 boxes now? must admit looking through the tech regs i can't count them!! anyway the 2021 FIA car seems very, very defined, and afaics that's the big sticking point.

yes Liberty can't play hardball can they, what they own is a house of cards and yes the teams have unionised, with Toto phoning everyone in the paddock every day and making it a huge love-in. It's not a problem, for me, it's a case of thank goodness! We have plenty of spec series and they're all a pale shadow of Formula 1, all this cost saving equality thing would be a disaster but it's what Liberty know, with franchises, instead of a hierarchy with the bottom rung being failure drama and the top rungs being terribly unfair and awesome.

jjn9128

#aerogandalf

izzy
izzy

Oh good. They're all being so sweet! This really is a new era 😁

bauc

izzy wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 10:36
Oh good. They're all being so sweet! This really is a new era 😁
At the end we will end up with just a new more simple FW and more room for underfloor development to create more DF from it, minus the bageboards ....
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

izzy
izzy

bauc wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 11:26
At the end we will end up with just a new more simple FW and more room for underfloor development to create more DF from it, minus the bageboards ....
that'll be fine won't it. Get rid of the plank, add some nice venturi tunnels, dump the bendy cascade wings. Bring the huge nose in, would be nice, but anyway something to look forward to i think. Lose DRS even, or at some tracks perhaps

AMG.Tzan

I think opening up the 2021 rules a bit to allow more design freedom is the way to go! That's what i was thinking if the teams don't agree with more standard parts and design! Well big teams will always disagree to any big change...

Ground effect and smaller-simpler wings together with better tires (if Pirelli manages to make them at last) will make the cars instantly better in following one another! So there's no need for "GP1" cars...also some kind of budget cap and better distribution of the money given to the teams will help smaller teams a bit!

And for God's sake...get rid of the Ferrari veto and the 100M $ given to them just to be in F1...better distribute this kind of money to the smaller teams to help them get better!

Help Williams at least..it's just silly for the sport, seeing them so much behind everyone...they are also a historic team after all!! (Just joking here) :lol:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

bauc

izzy wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 11:56
bauc wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 11:26
that'll be fine won't it. Get rid of the plank, add some nice venturi tunnels, dump the bendy cascade wings. Bring the huge nose in, would be nice, but anyway something to look forward to i think. Lose DRS even, or at some tracks perhaps
If cars can follow up more closely DRS must go in that case

izzy
izzy

bauc wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 12:33
yes it's a kludge isn't it, and Ross said he hoped they could get rid of it. It does have one advantage tho, that they can use it to tune the cars to each circuit, enable it or not and vary the length of the zone, depending how easy it is to pass there. cos the cars are basically the same all the time but the circuits are different, so to have something they can adjust is an advantage, as far as it goes

bauc

izzy wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 14:51
bauc wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 12:33
yes it's a kludge isn't it, and Ross said he hoped they could get rid of it. It does have one advantage tho, that they can use it to tune the cars to each circuit, enable it or not and vary the length of the zone, depending how easy it is to pass there. cos the cars are basically the same all the time but the circuits are different, so to have something they can adjust is an advantage, as far as it goes
The F-duct was the king ... too bad it was banned but it would have eventually be pointless as everyone would have perfected it within few seasons.

izzy
izzy

bauc wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 15:44
The F-duct was the king ... too bad it was banned but it would have eventually be pointless as everyone would have perfected it within few seasons.
yes that fluidic switch =D> so F1! no no a knee isn't 'a device' obviously!!!

mzso
mzso

izzy wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 12:33
F1 would be better if the cars weren't as heavy as they've become, and yes FIA have to specify the safety, my point is they could specify the safety performance not the design or its weight
You can't magically wish away weight, carbon fiber composites are already the best known.
Having the teams design their won halo and such would be a pointless waste of money as well, to no gain.

izzy
izzy

mzso wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 15:27
izzy wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 12:33
F1 would be better if the cars weren't as heavy as they've become, and yes FIA have to specify the safety, my point is they could specify the safety performance not the design or its weight
You can't magically wish away weight, carbon fiber composites are already the best known.
Having the teams design their won halo and such would be a pointless waste of money as well, to no gain.
you can't magically wish weight away can you, that's so true, now you mention it, and yes Halo is beautifully engineered already that's true as well! makes me glad i didn't say something stupid like you can wish weight away with magic!! or mention Halo, but only, iirc, ballast :P

i could've mentioned some of the minimum weights tho couldn't I, like PU, MGUH, ES, car etc :-k