2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

A large interview with Andreas Seidl, but only through an interpreter, was not found in English.

https://www.f1news.ru/interview/seidl/140414.shtml

Ground Effect

It’s hard to say how the Renault PU will perform in the high altitude of Mexico this year, but they’ve been strong the last couple of years. But certainly the high downforce configuration for McLaren has been strong.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 09:20
A large interview with Andreas Seidl, but only through an interpreter, was not found in English.

Thanks for this, good read, with sensible questions. Apparently, they brought “small innovations” to Suzuka and same expected for COTA. Interesting also, he mentioned that the developments for 2020, there’s nothing they can test this year. It gives the impression that there’ll be something of a conceptual change?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

_cerber1

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 10:23

Thanks for this, good read, with sensible questions. Apparently, they brought “small innovations” to Suzuka and same expected for COTA. Interesting also, he mentioned that the developments for 2020, there’s nothing they can test this year. It gives the impression that there’ll be something of a conceptual change?
I think yes. Perhaps they will follow the path of development of MB.

Espresso

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 10:02
It’s hard to say how the Renault PU will perform in the high altitude of Mexico this year, but they’ve been strong the last couple of years. But certainly the high downforce configuration for McLaren has been strong.
Well as long as the PU doesn't start to smoke, due to the height the performance difference of the all different PU's are very very small.

So it's not about the Renault PU being strong the last years. It's that the height influences the power difference. (Maybe a message to the FIA. Bring the engines closes together in performance...bring better racing. Just stay of the rules and let everything grow/developer closer to one another...)

In Mexico's height's more the chassis that counts. First real test to compare McLaren's chassis to the competition.
We know its good. Just a question how good!

Might become a blast of a race and finally a competitive show! :mrgreen:
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

f1rules

nice interview where he clearly mention that some fundamental changes needs to be done to mahe ground on the big three, whatever that might be?? just dont --- up again please, mclaren/we dont need a setback, Also i hope mclaren have started to poach FI pu integration people or even better merc chassis/integration people :-) they cannot begin soon enough to get first hand knowledge on how best to integrate the merc pu, preferable get a pu/dummy early next year for development

RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 09:20

Well, in the interview he said there will be some fundamental changes that are needed to close the gap to the top teams.

f1rules wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 10:57
nice interview where he clearly mention that some fundamental changes needs to be done to mahe ground on the big three, whatever that might be?? just dont --- up again please, mclaren/we dont need a setback, Also i hope mclaren have started to poach FI pu integration people or even better merc chassis/integration people :-) they cannot begin soon enough to get first hand knowledge on how best to integrate the merc pu, preferable get a pu/dummy early next year for development
So what should they do? Keep it as it is and continue to be seconds of the pace?

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 19:37
In so many ways, Charles Leclerc was truly a thorn in Mclaren’s side this weekend... He’s ruined any chance of a drive in the future.. :D :lol:
From 8 things you may have missed.

Charles the Impaler
Lando made a great start. He looked likely to get ahead of Carlos and perhaps Lewis when he had to back out of the throttle to avoid the Leclerc-Verstappen collision. Nevertheless, he still finished lap one in sixth. Then when Leclerc’s front wing exploded, parts of it lodged in Lando’s front right brake duct. He had to pit to have it cleared – and this early stop ruined a promising race. To add insult to injury, the penalty given to Leclerc allowed Renault to reduce the amount by which we outscored them at Suzuka.
Charles wasn't like that until they changed the rules.

diffuser

_cerber1 wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 10:39
Ground Effect wrote:

I think yes. Perhaps they will follow the path of development of MB.
McLaren and MBs cars are so different it isn't funny.

Mclaren has more rake, shorter wheelbase, the cooling in the sidepods and in and around the PU is completly different as well. McLaren make much more use of the space above and behind the PU. I doudt they would go that radical with 1 last year left in the these regs.

Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 14:11
Ground Effect wrote:
In so many ways, Charles Leclerc was truly a thorn in Mclaren’s side this weekend... He’s ruined any chance of a drive in the future.. :D :lol:

Charles the Impaler
Lando made a great start. He looked likely to get ahead of Carlos and perhaps Lewis when he had to back out of the throttle to avoid the Leclerc-Verstappen collision. Nevertheless, he still finished lap one in sixth. Then when Leclerc’s front wing exploded, parts of it lodged in Lando’s front right brake duct. He had to pit to have it cleared – and this early stop ruined a promising race. To add insult to injury, the penalty given to Leclerc allowed Renault to reduce the amount by which we outscored them at Suzuka.
It’s possible. I remember him and Fernando fighting over the same bit of tarmac last year quite a few times. The fights were always spirited, but with zero contact ever.

Espresso

diffuser wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Charles the Impaler
Yeah, LeClerc f*cked up a lot of cars. Any other driver or team would have been black flagged. He ruined Lando's race.
And got away with a 'we don't have time to decide a round 1 incident (only because its Charles, protegé of Todt) and will decide after the race'.

In my opinion the stewards were shitting it out to penalize Charles without instructions of Jean Todt

Hmmm to add a few words why I say this...

Charles is a hard, sneaky & political adept racer and yes he's a good racer. And in the changing enviroment 'let the racing go on' and with the Todt-support-team he moves the boundaries of hard racing and challenges the 'unbiased decision making' of the stewards.

Max isn't so political adept and got a load of shlt over him. But he learns, the last 22 months he's adapted well.

Lando is just a good racer and good for him 'racing with Max' he learns the ropes of becoming a 'harder' racer without loosing his wits. Guess it's a good thing Lando, Carlos and Max do a lot of gaming together.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

_cerber1

diffuser

Espresso wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 15:54
diffuser wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Charles the Impaler
Yeah, LeClerc f*cked up a lot of cars. Any other driver or team would have been black flagged. He ruined Lando's race.
And got away with a 'we don't have time to decide a round 1 incident (only because its Charles, protegé of Todt) and will decide after the race'.

In my opinion the stewards were shitting it out to penalize Charles without instructions of Jean Todt

Hmmm to add a few words why I say this...

Charles is a hard, sneaky & political adept racer and yes he's a good racer. And in the changing enviroment 'let the racing go on' and with the Todt-support-team he moves the boundaries of hard racing and challenges the 'unbiased decision making' of the stewards.

Max isn't so political adept and got a load of shlt over him. But he learns, the last 22 months he's adapted well.

Lando is just a good racer and good for him 'racing with Max' he learns the ropes of becoming a 'harder' racer without loosing his wits. Guess it's a good thing Lando, Carlos and Max do a lot of gaming together.
Not sure why he wasn't flagged to come in. Another f*ck up. He could argue why should I get penalised when I didn't get flagged ? If it was so bad why didn't I get flagged?

Don't get me wrong, I still think that Charles did was dumb....

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 15:33
diffuser wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Charles the Impaler
It’s possible. I remember him and Fernando fighting over the same bit of tarmac last year quite a few times. The fights were always spirited, but with zero contact ever.
cause the rules last year were pretty much frowning upon contact.

Espresso

diffuser wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 20:31

Not sure why he wasn't flagged to come in. Another f*ck up. He could argue why should I get penalised when I didn't get flagged ? If it was so bad why didn't I get flagged?

Don't get me wrong, I still think that Charles did was dumb....
On the border of getting off-topic.
A short quiz question that might answer the question how Charles got away with a 'Torpedo' move on Lando:

Question: Name the bottom Row?
Answer:
1. Nicolas Todt, Son of Jean Todt, Manager of Charles LeClerc.
2. Giada Gianni..., Ex-girlfriend of Charles, dumped after he went stray with another lady Charlotte Siné with the excuse he left her for Ferrari
3. Charles, political adept like a fox
4. Jean Todt

More a question of conflict of Interest -or- influental politics