Many young drivers from F2 are struggling for F1 graduation nowadays

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: Many young drivers from F2 are struggling for F1 graduation nowadays

There are a load already though

https://www.fia.com/fia-competitions
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Edax

If the system was really “unfair” there should be a couple of drivers out there who should really be in F1. I don’t really see that. If you look at the F2,F3,SF hopefuls that didn’t make it. A lot of them just fade away, some built up respectable careers but it is very rare to see one really rise to the top in another class.

On the other hand you see what happens when you take a F1 driver and put him in another series. They usually do exceptionally well.

I think the F1 hiring is working to such an extend that they rarely miss the real gems. They might sometimes select drivers that are not up to par. They throw the net a bit too wide perhaps, but the real quality is caught.

Also I think we shouldn’t be too occupied with winning championships. I suspect that the budget disparity in F2/3 actually may even be bigger than in F1. It is becoming harder to say whether someone won a championship because they are that good a driver or because they have Prema on their car.

izzy

FW17 wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 07:56
Wonder why FIA / 3.5 promoters did not work together to create the series as a step between F3 and F2

Engine performance wise it would have been perfect
F4 - 300 hp
F3 - 400 hp
F3.5 - 500 hp
F2 - 600 hp
F1 - 800+160 hp
FR3.5 was free! Free to air on TV and free entry at the circuit even. FIA had to get rid of that!! so they invented the points system because Max was only 17. Not an age limit tho :wink: . A points system that guess what stopped FR3.5 being a viable route to F1. Same with Super Formula, only 25 points for the winner, less than GP3. Power baby

JordanMugen

FW17 wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 10:13
I was proposing an ideal ladder, not the one which a prodigy driver should take.
Non-prodigy drivers are, as a rule, not good enough for F1 and quickly leave F1 even if they make it to the top level (e.g., Palmer, Vandoorne etc). :wink:
Edax wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 22:20
On the other hand you see what happens when you take a F1 driver and put him in another series. They usually do exceptionally well.
Rubinho could barely crack the Top 10 in Indycar... :wink:

While the less said about Mr. Jacques Villenueve's efforts in various series, the better. :wtf:

JordanMugen

DChemTech wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 10:32
Would people line up to go to a stand alone f2 or f3 race?
If it was free or 10 Euro, compared to the 200 Euro or so of an F1 meeting then I think plenty of people would be interested in a standalone F2 race -- especially if it was at a picturesque Grade 2 circuit like Brands Hatch or Sachsenring or so on. =D>

Big Tea

JordanMugen wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 22:19
DChemTech wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 10:32
Would people line up to go to a stand alone f2 or f3 race?
If it was free or 10 Euro, compared to the 200 Euro or so of an F1 meeting then I think plenty of people would be interested in a standalone F2 race -- especially if it was at a picturesque Grade 2 circuit like Brands Hatch or Sachsenring or so on. =D>
And you would not put a F2 race or F3 race, it would be a f2 race and a F3 race, with some saloon maybe a ladies race etc. A good day out at a race track is not F1 specific.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SuperDrummer

FW17 wrote:
I was proposing an ideal ladder, not the one which a prodigy driver should take.
Actually if we're not talking about Stroll/Latifi way, it's the prodigy drivers who are going to F1. And these are the drivers the whole ladder should be optimised for, not the ones who don't know what they are doing there.
FW17 wrote:
The more series that the FIA have the better it is for racing weekends in Europe.
Right now an event other than F1, looks rather sparce.
I would not say so. In 2019 yes, a lot of things were not good, but, say, up to 2016 DTM weekend and Blancpain with Renault 2.0 looked really good. Better than F1 weekend actually.

SuperDrummer

Edax wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 22:20
If the system was really “unfair” there should be a couple of drivers out there who should really be in F1. I don’t really see that. If you look at the F2,F3,SF hopefuls that didn’t make it. A lot of them just fade away, some built up respectable careers but it is very rare to see one really rise to the top in another class.
The system might also work wrong in terms of educating the drivers. Some cars/classes combinations are better than others for that. I gave an example of Renault Sport ladder above which ruined drivers' careers taken as Renault Sport promoted it, but it did serve well for the drivers who used it partially. The ladder which is currently promoted by FIA seems to be pretty much the same. Hopefully Euroformula becomes big enough to spoil the party and help drivers progress into F1 quicker and better prepared.