2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

search wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 13:26
_cerber1 wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 13:03
Ground Effect wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 12:48

Maybe he was using one from earlier in the season for the Suzuka weekend that was still in the pool, not the one taken in Spa?
Then it was very risky.
electrical energy is more important in Mexico (and allegedly it was one of the key factors which let to the win last year), so maybe they were saving some parts
Interesting. Could you elaborate on this?

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 14:22
search wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 13:03

Then it was very risky.
electrical energy is more important in Mexico (and allegedly it was one of the key factors which let to the win last year), so maybe they were saving some parts

Yeah, I don't get that. the Mexico track is 1.5kms shorter than japan. A full charge of the battery before a quali lap will be fairly easy to make it to the end.

Although, cause of the alititude, the turbo will be harder to spin up.

M840TR

diffuser wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 14:56
M840TR wrote:
search wrote:

Yeah, I don't get that. the Mexico track is 1.5kms shorter than japan. A full charge of the battery before a quali lap will be fairly easy to make it to the end.

What confuses me is how the engine with consistently one of the worst ERS tech of the v6 era contributed to Redbull's win by virtue of its greatest shortcoming. Ferrari & Mercedes were & remain light-years ahead of Renault in this area, even with the lower turbine rpm. And let's not forget Renault was using its 2016 Mgu-k well into 2018.

_cerber1

The deal with Petrobras is terminated.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... l/4559766/

ScottR267

_cerber1 wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 15:26

Not confirmed but it looks to be heading that way. Surely means the reserve driver Camara will also be released as was he not part of the sponsorship deal?

My guess is will stick with BP/Castrol for the last year of the Renault partnership and then to Petronas for the Mercedes engine.

I have no doubts Zak will find new sponsors to fill the gap monetary wise, especially as he’s done very well at picking up new sponsors whilst in down years

RonDennis

ScottR267 wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 15:29
_cerber1 wrote:

Not confirmed but it looks to be heading that way. Surely means the reserve driver Camara will also be released as was he not part of the sponsorship deal?

My guess is will stick with BP/Castrol for the last year of the Renault partnership and then to Petronas for the Mercedes engine.

I have no doubts Zak will find new sponsors to fill the gap monetary wise, especially as he’s done very well at picking up new sponsors whilst in down years
Well, it's not like the Brazilian government doesn't have to pay anything for getting out early. That's why it took this long to terminate the contract. McLaren has been using BP/Castrol during this whole time.
Last edited by RonDennis on 18 Oct 2019, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 15:14
diffuser wrote:
M840TR wrote:

What confuses me is how the engine with consistently one of the worst ERS tech of the v6 era contributed to Redbull's win by virtue of its greatest shortcoming. Ferrari & Mercedes were & remain light-years ahead of Renault in this area, even with the lower turbine rpm. And let's not forget Renault was using its 2016 Mgu-k well into 2018.

I'm not even sure any of that is true, I haven't see a good comparison done by anyone that I would trust. Realy to compare the ERS between all cars you'd have to follow the cars around at each track and see how much of thier time they spend flashing red. I've never done that. Also deploying isn' a ON off thing, it can be varied. So you'd might deploy more if you running higher DF levels....I'm not even sure that would give you perfect picture.

With regards to Mexico, I think that whatever Renault are doing is allowing them to acheive higher spin with thier turbo. That in turn is letting them acheive higher boost and higher electrical genration.

ScottR267

RonDennis wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 15:31
ScottR267 wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 15:29
_cerber1 wrote:

Well, it's not like the Brazilian government doesn't have to pay anything for getting out early. That's why it took this long to terminate the contract. McLaren has been using BP/Castrol during this whole time.
I understand that the Brazilian government will have to pay something to terminate the contract however it’s not going to be the full sum of the contract is is!! I thought they used BP/Castrol fuel but Petrobras lubricants....

search

diffuser wrote:
M840TR wrote:
search wrote:

I couldn't find the source I was thinking of, but this article on formula1.com for example mentions it:

"Renault’s turbochargers remain smaller than those used by Mercedes and Ferrari and it’s quite feasible that their burst point is correspondingly higher. If their smaller turbos are capable of running faster before their burst point, it would allow the turbo to compensate more for the lower oxygen content, thereby overcoming its power shortfall at lower altitudes.

It may also be – as some have conjectured – that the Renault power unit generates electrical energy more efficiently than the others and that this is revealed more as the internal combustion engine’s contribution is reduced by the thinner air."

Nonserviam85

I suspect Renault have a smaller or more robust turbine so they can either keep (or increase their revs) in contrast to Mercedes and Ferrari who might me closer to the limit and suffer more in the thin air of Mexico.

M840TR

diffuser wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 15:31
M840TR wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 15:14
diffuser wrote:

I'm not even sure any of that is true, I haven't see a good comparison done by anyone that I would trust. Realy to compare the ERS between all cars you'd have to follow the cars around at each track and see how much of thier time they spend flashing red. I've never done that. Also deploying isn' a ON off thing, it can be varied. So you'd might deploy more if you running higher DF levels....I'm not even sure that would give you perfect picture.

With regards to Mexico, I think that whatever Renault are doing is allowing them to acheive higher spin with thier turbo. That in turn is letting them acheive higher boost and higher electrical genration.
We have to consider the wider context. AMuS reported several times that Ferrari is able to run the K much longer hence their advantage on the end of a straight compared to others; that's where their pace advantage lied. We know Renault has had problems with the ERS throughout the hybrid era. They ran the same mgu-k for nearly 3 years! It's safe to assume this their Achilles' heel.

M840TR

Nonserviam85 wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 16:22
I suspect Renault have a smaller or more robust turbine so they can either keep (or increase their revs) in contrast to Mercedes and Ferrari who might me closer to the limit and suffer more in the thin air of Mexico.
They've had the worst turbo reliability of the 3 over the years. Even this year they've had multiple reliability problems with the turbo. I reckon it has to do with others suffering more due to normally utilizing the mgu-h on a higher level than Renault.

RonDennis

I wouldn't be surprised if Orlen will join McLaren with Kubica in a test/simulator role. They already had talks, but McLaren didn't have any place at that moment.
Last edited by RonDennis on 18 Oct 2019, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

proteus

RonDennis wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 20:01
I wouldn't be surprised if Orlen will join McLaren with Kubica in a test/simulator role. They already had talks, but McLaren didn't have any place at the moment.
Haas is aparently the no.1 choice for Orlen.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

RonDennis

proteus wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 20:02
RonDennis wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 20:01
I wouldn't be surprised if Orlen will join McLaren with Kubica in a test/simulator role. They already had talks, but McLaren didn't have any place at the moment.
Haas is aparently the no.1 choice for Orlen.
I hope Orlen will rather sponsor McLaren. According to the Polish media McLaren told Orlen that they didn't have any place for them at that time.

https://sport.onet.pl/formula-1/orlen-w ... ha/cbezc46