Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
jjn9128

Re: Formula E

Morteza wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 20:44
Now that's a nice livery!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Andres125sx

Any technical difference in cars for season 6?

trinidefender

Good people of the FormulaE topic. I know next to nothing about FormulaE but it seems to have proven itself somewhat so I figure I might as well learn the more technical side of things.

Please correct anything that is wrong. Can anyone be kind enough to give me a quick breakdown or overview of what on the car from a technical perspective is designed by individual teams.

- As I understand it, the motor/generator unit to drive the car is not spec and done by individual teams or bought as a customer will buy a PU in F1. Correct?
- Same applies for the battery and control electronics (ECU I guess) of the car?
- Is the suspension, uprights, brakes and driveshafts spec or done individually?
- My understanding is that the aerodynamics and bodywork is all spec? If so then what aerodynamically can the teams adjust? Any flaps? Ride height range? Rake angle?

Any and all help is appreciated as I dip my toes into this non-F1 new world.

jjn9128

Andres125sx wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 07:49
Any technical difference in cars for season 6?
AFAIK nothing but the developments teams are bringing. Next year I think there's a change to make the cars a bit less robust so they drive less like BTCC drivers.

trinidefender wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 08:00
Good people of the FormulaE topic. I know next to nothing about FormulaE but it seems to have proven itself somewhat so I figure I might as well learn the more technical side of things.

Please correct anything that is wrong. Can anyone be kind enough to give me a quick breakdown or overview of what on the car from a technical perspective is designed by individual teams.

- As I understand it, the motor/generator unit to drive the car is not spec and done by individual teams or bought as a customer will buy a PU in F1. Correct?
- Same applies for the battery and control electronics (ECU I guess) of the car?
- Is the suspension, uprights, brakes and driveshafts spec or done individually?
- My understanding is that the aerodynamics and bodywork is all spec? If so then what aerodynamically can the teams adjust? Any flaps? Ride height range? Rake angle?

Any and all help is appreciated as I dip my toes into this non-F1 new world.
The drivetrain is free for development - that's motor/inverter/any gearing & half shafts. Because of this the rear suspension arms are free to change because that's directly affected by the mounting to the powertrain, but the uprights are fixed. Like F1 teams must be prepared to supply to a customer at a fixed cost, can't remember exactly but it's in the $100k's not $10m's.

The battery and BMS is supplied by McLaren to all teams.

The body is spec but teams can play with ride heights - gotta balance performance with being on a street track. The front wing has flaps which are adjustable, and the rear wings are angle adjustable, but the aero is not a significant factor - which is mainly why they can race so close together.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

Testing underway - Live Timing. Already 0.3s under last years best time.
ImageStealth Nissan
#aerogandalf

jjn9128

BMW top of the times again - 1s quicker than last year's fastest lap
#aerogandalf

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Gunther was fastest for BMW on the final day of pre-season testing setting the fastest time of the week

MtthsMlw

Cool analysis of why the cars sound different.

FW17

Williams to supply Extreme E with batteries?

https://www.pmw-magazine.com/news/show- ... rview.html

jjn9128

:shock: OOOooohhh Nissan livery :-o :-D
#aerogandalf

El Scorchio

Looks like the Batmobile. And that sadly isn’t meant as a compliment!

Morteza

Morteza