General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
lio007

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

nzjrs wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 21:32
When was the last time 4 Honda cars were in Q3?
Monaco!

loner

i heard that Toto implied Mercs now know what Ferrari did to have such advantage in qualifying and straits and they will implement it ASAP , i assume Honda and Renault will do the same soon.
para bellum.

Sieper

Big assumption. If it is oilburn then Honda and Renault never were capable (or willing) to do so before.

If merc also sprints away again I see a grim 2020.

restless

iirc Honda used oil-burn for 1 or 2 races - just before it was banned

loner

Sieper wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 10:23
Big assumption. If it is oilburn then Honda and Renault never were capable (or willing) to do so before.

If merc also sprints away again I see a grim 2020.
if it wasn't legal i presume Mercs would of protest, perhaps something to do with managing the electric power.
para bellum.

izzy

loner wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 12:50
if it wasn't legal i presume Mercs would of protest, perhaps something to do with managing the electric power.
They probably don't have any actual evidence, also they need to stick together with Ferrari over 2021

But i bet we'll have a technical directive over the winter, about oil as a coolant. The battery they will have to copy tho as FIA have said it's legal

Sieper

That directive is already there. You may not have oil leak with the purpose to be used in combustion in the cooling proces.

Sieper

restless wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 12:11
iirc Honda used oil-burn for 1 or 2 races - just before it was banned
That might actually be true, I too seem to remember something in that direction now that you say.

izzy

Sieper wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 13:39
That directive is already there. You may not have oil leak with the purpose to be used in combustion in the cooling proces.
the directive will be not to use oil as a coolant, that's much easier to test for. there's no good reason to do that anyway as it's much worse than water+glycol for cooling

loner

izzy wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 13:48
the directive will be not to use oil as a coolant, that's much easier to test for. there's no good reason to do that anyway as it's much worse than water+glycol for cooling
the FIA has examined the cooling system of the SF90 as a preliminary point, not finding anomalies
with the Mercs have clear ideas about the Ferrari advantage now it won't be so secretive anymore Honda and Renault will apply, beside i highly doubt that Mercs will start the 2020 season with a full second advantage like they did in the start of current season ,so we could see the gap come to a close between all 4 PUs, a fix to RBR aero and chassis will give us a mega season one can hope.
para bellum.

izzy

loner wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 08:30
with the Mercs have clear ideas about the Ferrari advantage now it won't be so secretive anymore Honda and Renault will apply, beside i highly doubt that Mercs will start the 2020 season with a full second advantage like they did in the start of current season ,so we could see the gap come to a close between all 4 PUs, a fix to RBR aero and chassis will give us a mega season one can hope.
yes they should all close up next year shouldn't they, it could be a mega season absolutely :) Red Bull will be pushing Honda not to be too well-behaved and get with the borderline-legal F1 ethos

Thunder18

Oil burning was never "illegal" but steps were taken less its use over the years... article from March...
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia- ... 0/4358582/

Sieper

Oh but it was. there just was an allowance for doing it anyway. But you were NOT supposed to. those allowances have been gradually lowered and further workarounds forbidden. It could be that Ferrari has now found a last/new way via leaking oil (mist) via the intercooler, those are the rumors. Likely possible holes in the rulebook will be plugged over the winter. Or not. Hopefully Honda knows what is being done and can do the same. As soon as they also do it there is no need to keep the loophole open and it will be plugged.

Thunder18

yeah I get that hence my "" but if it's illegal there shouldn't have been an allowance for it....

loner

https://twitter.com/NAR/status/1189330301220278272
All four auto parts makers have been developing self-driving and other next-generation technology. Hitachi Automotive Systems, for instance, leads in the field of electronic control units. Keihin is known for its power control systems. Nissin Kogyo makes braking systems, and Showa is developing a technology for converting the movement of a steering wheel into electronic signals.
Honda and Hitachi have been collaborating since 2017, when a joint venture for electric vehicle driving systems was set up by Honda and Hitachi Automotive Systems.
para bellum.