2009 design concepts

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
WhiteBlue

Re: 2009 design concepts

to me it looks pretty robust with the wide front wing and high rear wing. not bad once you get used to it.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Saribro

I wonder why didn't leave the wing full width, but in addition to the extra height, reduced the allowed volume for the wing elements. (so maximum angle of attack would be lower)
Anyone care to throw up a guess?

mx_tifoso

I've noticed comparing the images of the F2008K and the hybrid FW30 that with the front wing being so much lower, it leaves the front suspension much more exposed. Is it probable that the suspension in 2009 cars might have to be more carefully designed regarding it's aero efficiency? Since up until '08 many teams suspensions were of a simple round shape and didn't feature any aero sculpting, and IMO could benefit from a more aero efficient design.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

vasia

mx_tifosi wrote:I've noticed comparing the images of the F2008K and the hybrid FW30 that with the front wing being so much lower, it leaves the front suspension much more exposed. Is it probable that the suspension in 2009 cars might have to be more carefully designed regarding it's aero efficiency? Since up until '08 many teams suspensions were of a simple round shape and didn't feature any aero sculpting, and IMO could benefit from a more aero efficient design.
I believe that exactly this will happen. I think that suspension design will become more important as technically the suspension will become an "aero device" of sorts.

mike

i think the main reason of the zero keel design is so that the centre of the front wing and have greater angle of attack to have more downfoce, the ferrari nose-cone is design based on that
i think the teams would most likely to change back to the traditional single keel since the 09 regulation disallow the mid section of the front wing to be anything like the 08 ones or they might change the design to accommodate the lost of the barge boards

mike

Re: Williams test 2009 front and rear wings

i think i heard it somewhere that the design ideas were all simulated and the aim was to cut the downforce of the front wing generated by the centre section and hence the car is less affected when travellin behind another car, the rear wing is high so that it wouldnt created massive turbulence with the diffuser it was design to seperate the 2 aerodynamic devices and the narrowing of the rear wing is just so that the side of the front wing can maintain the downforce while following

its like the CDG idea, seperate downforce generation of the front and the rear of the car
this design works the same way as the CDG except it is in reverse
after 4 years of high front wing i think i would much have rather have the CDG wing on the F1 cars

Scuderia_Russ

The front wing I can live with, but the rear wing means that an F1 car will lose a lot of its elegance in my eyes.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

djos

Scuderia_Russ wrote:The front wing I can live with, but the rear wing means that an F1 car will lose a lot of its elegance in my eyes.
I like the height of both wings and the width of the front wing, but the rear is so narrow it looks silly! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

Mikacouli

Here's another view of the car.
The rear wing is something to get used to. And look at the diffuser, much has changed.

source: f1today.nl
all hopes on the MP4/24

djos

I like the new diffuser, low wide and long, very sportscar'ish. :)
"In downforce we trust"

freedom_honda

does this new 2009-spec diffuser design produces more downforce than the 2008-spec design?

djos

freedom_honda wrote:does this new 2009-spec diffuser design produces more downforce than the 2008-spec design?
doubtful, prolly just a cleaner wake that integrates with the higher rear wing.
"In downforce we trust"

Scotracer

freedom_honda wrote:does this new 2009-spec diffuser design produces more downforce than the 2008-spec design?
The 2009 diffuser produces less than half the downforce of the 2008 diffuser - contributing around 18% of the total downforce of the car.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

theDr

Hi there im new to this Howdo you put images on here, I designed a car and its in my documents, and I would like to put show you people

MattF1

theDr wrote:Hi there im new to this Howdo you put images on here, I designed a car and its in my documents, and I would like to put show you people
To post an image onto this site, it needs to be on the internet. To do this you should go to an image host such as ImageShack.us and upload the image. Once the image is uploaded the page should have a line of code that you should copy and paste into the box you type into when you post on here. This should work.