2019 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 25-27 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
izzy

Re: 2019 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 25-27 October

mmmm, now i watch it again, at 1:17 below - VB sees Max and steers away, then after a second he steers back in, but meanwhile Max has opened his steering, not because of oversteer that's clear from offboard, so by 1:19 Max is going across the track to make it a block pass but VB was assuming that space would be clear
[media]https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/ ... attle.html[/media]
it's more obvious at .5 speed. But so, after all it was Max being a bit too aggressive again

ThumbsUp

Well the first corner incident is pretty clear I guess.

Max overtook Lewis on the straight and thought he had the corner, he oversteerd into Lewis.

Max braked pretty conservative for the first corner thinking he was ahead. Lewis outbraked him on the outside.

So a racing incident. They both could avoid each other and they didn’t.

But this is my opinion as how I’ve seen it happen.

NathanOlder

Phil wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 17:02
Capharol wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 16:52
for those still claiming there was no gap or there was no room left for Bottas to go .......

https://i.imgur.com/8BXzi4O.jpg
Given Max’s angle and looking at the corner in question, i’d say Bottas would be carrying more speed throught the corner.

Btw: what happened to the kvyat / hulkenberg incident?

Also, Why wasnt Max penalized for passing a car completely off-track?
Twice I believe in the same place. lap 1 against a Toro Rosso, and again with KMag.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TwanV

I find it again amazing how anti ves some people are. He drives a perfect season, has one race of bad luck and all hell breaks loose. Just watch there was one moment of contact after Hamilton lost control of the rear. Yes Verstappen had the same 1 second earlier, they were at it at the limit. Celebrate don’t blame. As for the puncture Bottas just steered in too early. What happens in the press conferences after is just politics, as if VET/BOT are so sure in their actions.. not worth a thought really.

strad

Max was ahead of him yet Lewis claims he was torpedoed.?. :roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

dans79

TwanV wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 21:33
I find it again amazing how anti ves some people are. He drives a perfect season, has one race of bad luck and all hell breaks loose.
That's not what gets him in hot water with people. What gets him in trouble is stuff like his post qualifying press conference comments.
197 104 103 7

NathanOlder

I guess its possible to be torpedoed in the side
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

strad wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 21:38
Max was ahead of him yet Lewis claims he was torpedoed.?. :roll:
Again, Lewis never said that, people are just saying what they want to based on their own biases and 2nd, or even 3rd or 4th hand knowledge.
197 104 103 7

strad

I cannot go back and retrieve them just yesterday I read 4 articles that quoted Lewis saying that Max "torpedoed him. Also today there are more than a few articles from other drivers saying Max is being unfairly criticized.
Christian Horner defended Max Verstappen’s driving at the start of the Mexican Grand Prix after Lewis Hamilton criticised his rival over their first-lap crash.
Hamilton said he was “torpedoed” by Verstappen when they collided between turns one and two
In reality, Verstappen's race was actually almost blameless.
Hamilton's notion that Verstappen "torpedoed' him at the start is well wide of the mark.
Actually, it was Hamilton who was bold in trying to pass Verstappen
#Palmer
There is more if needed
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hollus

This seems to be the actual quote:
I thought at some stage that I would get torpedoed by Max
Rivals, not enemies.

RZS10

He said it in the presser ... it's just before the bit dans quoted

LH: And then I obviously got torpedoed. I thought at some stage I’d get torpedoed by Max. And then after that trying to keep up with Seb was a real challenge. A first and third is a true showing of real strength and depth with our team and it’s a real pleasant surprise really, because we didn’t expect our tyres to go as far as they did. We didn’t think we could manage a one-stop and we made it work.

Q: You said you were expecting a bit of action from Max early on in the race. Talk us through those opening corners?

LH: I actually got a really good start, so I was pulling up to Charles and Seb is coming across, coming across, coming across and I’m thinking ‘I’m on the white line, I don’t have anywhere further to go’. And he just keeps coming. So I had to avoid crashing with him, going on the grass. Avoid his wheels as well, otherwise I could have caused a big collision for him. Then I was surrounded by a bunch of cars, I braked into Turn 1, and all of a sudden Max is alongside me. If you’ve seen races before, I always leave Max a lot of space – it’s the smartest thing you can do. But there wasn’t a lot of space to give him space. I think he had an oversteer moment or something and then I got a massive hit from behind. Then I nearly took him out…

SV: He hit you?

LH: Yeah.
It wasn't quite a Kvyat like torpedo but two unnecessary contacts when they were side by side ... so blunt language but still true

It wasn't that obvious from other camera perspectives but the bold part straight up isn't true:
At the start we saw you flexing your muscles on the run down to Turn 1 to Lewis?

SV: Not really. I didn’t see him. He came after the race as well and asked, but no intention to push him or anything. Obviously, as soon as I saw, I obviously got off and I tried to get in Charles’ tow and I checked the mirrors on the right and the mirrors on the left and that’s when I saw Lewis and then, you know, I tried to go right but before that point I didn’t see him. We see quite well in the mirrors but there is still obviously an angle that you can’t see.
He actually moves over twice and never properly moves away from Lewis, does he? https://youtu.be/QGA-SsBz_1I?t=584
Last edited by RZS10 on 29 Oct 2019, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

izzy

strad wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 21:55
I cannot go back and retrieve them just yesterday I read 4 articles that quoted Lewis saying that Max "torpedoed him. Also today there are more than a few articles from other drivers saying Max is being unfairly criticized.
There is more if needed
around F1 it's never safe to use other people's opinions, there's too much hype and emotion, you have to judge for yourself. watch the 2 episodes in slow motion, and see for yourself: Max opened his steering, both times, to take his car wider and 1. push Lewis off and 2. block Valtteri after he's already swerved away

Watch his steering, for yourself. Trust no-one!! :mrgreen:

hollus

Thanks, RZS10
Rivals, not enemies.

dans79

Michael Masi

https://www.grandprix.com/news/masi-to- ... afety.html
Masi also said he is concerned about Verstappen's dismissal of the safety aspect of the yellow flag incident.

"Do we have to go there - to safety?" the Red Bull driver declared. "I think we know what we are doing. It's qualifying and you go for it."

Masi, who said the issue will be addressed at the driver briefing in Austin, responded: "I heard what Max said and I will talk to him about it.

"Yellow flags are on the agenda. I will discuss it one-on-one with Max but also remind the other drivers of the rules on the grounds of safety."
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

Re: the Max quote about safety, no doubt Bianchi thought he knew what he was doing too. Someone should have a quiet word to that effect with Max. I doubt it'll do any good, however.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.