2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lotus102

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

netoperek wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 08:58
Lotus102 wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 01:04

Not unusual for a driver to not notice a slow puncture and it to show up on the team’s data before it’s apparent in the car.

Paul was commiserating about the puncture, not apologising for it
Yes, I know, even I'm not reading anything more into it :lol:
As to pace difference, Robert said his car was sliding a lot less than in Q, where it was nearly undriveable.
He had a small issues with his engine during start where it wouldn't give much power for first few seconds. He was told to lift and coast since lap 7 and overall had 27 faster laps to Russels 17 between them in the race. I think both of them had a very solid races. Robert had 13th time and George 17th, faster than both haas drivers.
Robert got an overall performance score of 4 to George's 3.5 on this F1.com telemetry thingy.
Kubica had a much better race than usual, it’s true, and that’s backed up by the fact that Russell couldn’t just breeze past him the way he’s been able to do most of the time this year. He needs to do better on lap 1, especially in races where track position is critical. On the basis of quali and the rest of the season I can’t help concluding that if he hadn’t been caught behind Kubica a couple of times, with the problems for tyre and brake management that entailed, he’d have been further up the road.

On alternatives to Latifi, I’d love to see Sirotkin back but it isn’t going to happen. I suspect the sanctions against Russia over Crimea might be having an effect on SMP’s operations - I don’t think they pulled out of WEC just because they achieved everything they wanted to (ditto Russian Time selling up). So funding for Russians, Mazepin, Markelov etc might not be so abundant as it was. Though having said all that, Lukoil clearly found some roubles for McLaren. I expect Latifi will be solid if unspectacular, but with so much experience in F2, and F1 testing, he ought to be a decent baseline for George. Ultimately there are still too many questions over Kubica to accurately judge Russell at the moment.

Vasconia

Maybe this battle and overtake from Kubica will be the best thing we see from him. I hope I am wrong tough and we can see more exciting battles in the last races. It was indeed fun to watch. :)

marmer

Vasconia wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 11:05
Maybe this battle and overtake from Kubica will be the best thing we see from him. I hope I am wrong tough and we can see more exciting battles in the last races. It was indeed fun to watch. :)
makes me wonder if the situations in the past have been tamed becasue williams have told robert to let geroge past. now its fair game or if its not robert doesn't care as it won't matter to him next year.

Lotus102

marmer wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 14:14
Vasconia wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 11:05
makes me wonder if the situations in the past have been tamed becasue williams have told robert to let geroge past. now its fair game or if its not robert doesn't care as it won't matter to him next year.
When has Williams told Robert to let George past? I'm not aware of any situation where that has been the case. With full access to onboard and radio through F1TV we would certainly be aware if it had happened. Kubica is generally pretty aggressive when racing Russell even though the latter has generally had the pace to get ahead - e.g. France when Kubica ran Russell off the road and into a bollard while trying to keep him behind. I doubt Kubica would have finished a lap behind Russell as in Japan because the team told him to...

diffuser

marmer wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 23:41
Apart from the lack of parts are williams actual worse than previous years in car design. They hadn't been good until the V6 era for a long time apart from the odd result.
First year of v6 they got it right and did well 2014 but everyone's engines were awful. Which made any lack of car design less important. 2015 slipped back slightly 2016 Slipped to 5th in constructors as other had got there act together Again did less well in 2017 it rock bottom last year. And worse again this.

Every year since 2014 they have gotten less total points than the previous year.
Less talented drivers each year you would say since bottas left.

So what should we expect from them if they make next year unless they pick up I don't see them making 2021
Hopefully they can keep the budget in check and move forward. As for this year, they've earned a point...no point in investing any further. Put whatever money into next years car.

Think they wasted alot of design time and money on whatever went wrong with the PL CW thing. With Fry there, the car will be respectable next year.

loner

diffuser wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 16:43
Hopefully they can keep the budget in check and move forward. As for this year, they've earned a point...no point in investing any further. Put whatever money into next years car.

Think they wasted alot of design time and money on whatever went wrong with the PL CW thing. With Fry there, the car will be respectable next year.
the Chinese have mega bucks and on the up scale worldly with the renewable resources is it so hard for Williams to lure a Chinese investors in the team that would give them huge push.
Ron Dennis tried something similar before he parted away with Mclaren.
para bellum.

nzjrs

diffuser wrote:
With Fry there, the car will be respectable next year.
I'm just wondering, did anyone have any idea that this year would be either good or catastrophic based on Paddy Lowe's reputation prior?

Lotus102

diffuser wrote:
marmer wrote:
Apart from the lack of parts are williams actual worse than previous years in car design. They hadn't been good until the V6 era for a long time apart from the odd result.
First year of v6 they got it right and did well 2014 but everyone's engines were awful. Which made any lack of car design less important. 2015 slipped back slightly 2016 Slipped to 5th in constructors as other had got there act together Again did less well in 2017 it rock bottom last year. And worse again this.

Every year since 2014 they have gotten less total points than the previous year.

So what should we expect from them if they make next year unless they pick up I don't see them making 2021

Is Fry going to Williams? I haven't seen anything on that since July, I rather thought that ship had sailed.

There's a lot of talk about Williams getting lucky in 2014, but I don't agree. For one thing, they beat McLaren and Force India fair and square with the same engine, and there were plenty of times when their car was only marginally slower than Mercedes. (Even fifth was pretty good considering they had the sixth biggest budget). The FW36 had excellent aero stability, which cars since then progressively lost. Even in an engine-dominated formula, to beat Ferrari one year and Red Bull the next, after having come from 9th and been written off by everyone as the new Tyrrell was pretty remarkable. There was a slipping back, I suspect (though I have no proof) due to the reins being handed from one technical director to another over a period of time. I have little doubt that PL caused immense disruption and whatever the team has said about trying to improve on track performance, this year was about rebuilding for future years. Even in 2017, with an unambitious car that was seemingly little evolved from the previous year's, they were solidly in the midfield. With better drivers than Stroll and a fading Massa, I suspect things would have looked less bleak and with every possibility of moving to the front of the midfield in short order. You'd have thought that an ambitious TD hiring was the step they needed to take. I was as surprised as anyone that the FW41 was such a huge miscalculation.

In terms of driver talent, I would have said Russell was better than Sirotkin, and way better than Stroll. Last year he comfortably beat Norris and Albon, both of whom are doing pretty well in cars that allow them to showcase their ability.

diffuser

Lotus102 wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 17:22
diffuser wrote:
marmer wrote:

MY bad it was just a rumour!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... y/4493821/

Is Fry going to Williams? I haven't seen anything on that since July, I rather thought that ship had sailed.

There's a lot of talk about Williams getting lucky in 2014, but I don't agree. For one thing, they beat McLaren and Force India fair and square with the same engine, and there were plenty of times when their car was only marginally slower than Mercedes. (Even fifth was pretty good considering they had the sixth biggest budget). The FW36 had excellent aero stability, which cars since then progressively lost. Even in an engine-dominated formula, to beat Ferrari one year and Red Bull the next, after having come from 9th and been written off by everyone as the new Tyrrell was pretty remarkable. There was a slipping back, I suspect (though I have no proof) due to the reins being handed from one technical director to another over a period of time. I have little doubt that PL caused immense disruption and whatever the team has said about trying to improve on track performance, this year was about rebuilding for future years. Even in 2017, with an unambitious car that was seemingly little evolved from the previous year's, they were solidly in the midfield. With better drivers than Stroll and a fading Massa, I suspect things would have looked less bleak and with every possibility of moving to the front of the midfield in short order. You'd have thought that an ambitious TD hiring was the step they needed to take. I was as surprised as anyone that the FW41 was such a huge miscalculation.

In terms of driver talent, I would have said Russell was better than Sirotkin, and way better than Stroll. Last year he comfortably beat Norris and Albon, both of whom are doing pretty well in cars that allow them to showcase their ability.

diffuser

Drivers are so far from being there problem it isn't funny.

Lotus102

Impressive that Williams can continue to bring new sponsors on board under the circumstances

https://twitter.com/williamsracing/stat ... 40672?s=21

marmer

Lotus102 wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 11:21
Impressive that Williams can continue to bring new sponsors on board under the circumstances

Any money coming in is good news.

Manoah2u

Lotus102 wrote:

you have got to be kidding me right

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

they attracted THIS SPONSOR?

rite. every respect, value, seriousness and professionalism is absolutely out the window and gone.
what a complete disgrace.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ENGINE TUNER

Manoah2u wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:48
Lotus102 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/tXAqojg.png

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

rite. every respect, value, seriousness and professionalism is absolutely out the window and gone.
Still better than cancer sticks or alcohol

proteus

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:55
Manoah2u wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:48
Lotus102 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/tXAqojg.png

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

Still better than cancer sticks or alcohol
Not really if the users/players of mobile games get so stupidified that they fall into open drain holes, get hit by the car or just dont leave the house at all.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows