2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bucker

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

izzy

bucker wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 14:10
Will Renault leave F1?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... e/4586324/
there's a thing called Advertising Value Equivalency isn't there. marketing people argue about it but for Mercedes it's been $3.7 Billion!! I wonder what figure Renault have for their position? It could still be a lot more than F1 costs them

sAx
sAx

izzy wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 11:42
santos wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 11:01
I don't understand how they can get to veridict even if the car has nothing againt the technical regulations.
well it was a driver aid wasn't it, that was exactly its purpose. Of course lots of parts aid the driving but this was pretty clearly over the line even if the line is fuzzy
No more a driver aid than the pit button on the steering wheel vis-a-vis keeping below the 80km/hr pit lane speed limit.
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

bauc

I'm afraid they will leave, I don't think they can justify the cost without the results
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

izzy

sAx wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 14:26
izzy wrote:
well it was a driver aid wasn't it, that was exactly its purpose. Of course lots of parts aid the driving but this was pretty clearly over the line even if the line is fuzzy
No more a driver aid than the pit button on the steering wheel vis-a-vis keeping below the 80km/hr pit lane speed limit.
yes true i know what you mean, and also power steering is a driver aid and the gearshift and engine modes and all kinds of things, the point is probably that it wasn't normal and universal and accepted. it's a fuzzy line but there has to be a line or they'd be automating all over the place, like gearshift points and diff settings

not that i like such a severe penalty or how RP did it, it's quite insulting - it's pretty obvious that if it had been a 'top team' they'd have just been told to take it off not DQ'd

sAx
sAx

izzy wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 15:08
sAx wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 14:26
izzy wrote:
yes true i know what you mean, and also power steering is a driver aid and the gearshift and engine modes and all kinds of things, the point is probably that it wasn't normal and universal and accepted. it's a fuzzy line but there has to be a line or they'd be automating all over the place, like gearshift points and diff settings

not that i like such a severe penalty or how RP did it, it's quite insulting - it's pretty obvious that if it had been a 'top team' they'd have just been told to take it off not DQ'd
If ever a sport had the ability to consistently wind its way up its own backside! Two things standout; 1. How long Racing Point kept the video from the GoPro camera of Ricciardo from the Monaco GP, cynically appearing as if they intended to appeal when they could reap the most benefit/do the most damage. 2. There was no pre-programming or pre-distance setting to alter the break bias entering a corner, therefore no offence constituting a breach of the technical regulations which was the premise of the RP submission; yet now we must be convinced that pressing a Brake Bias Button (which previously was a feature on the Raikonnen driven Lotus), constitutes a departure from the sporting regulations, whilst simultaneously ignoring all the other buttons (Drink, Box, Pit, Radio,etc etc.), which all exist on the driver non-aid steering wheel....sheeesh!!

izzy

sAx wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 16:32
If ever a sport had the ability to consistently wind its way up its own backside! Two things standout; 1. How long Racing Point kept the video from the GoPro camera of Ricciardo from the Monaco GP, cynically appearing as if they intended to appeal when they could reap the most benefit/do the most damage. 2. There was no pre-programming or pre-distance setting to alter the break bias entering a corner, therefore no offence constituting a breach of the technical regulations which was the premise of the RP submission; yet now we must be convinced that pressing a Brake Bias Button (which previously was a feature on the Raikonnen driven Lotus), constitutes a departure from the sporting regulations, whilst simultaneously ignoring all the other buttons (Drink, Box, Pit, Radio,etc etc.), which all exist on the driver non-aid steering wheel....sheeesh!!
it's a typical Max Mosley era rule isn't it: "drive the car alone and unaided" can mean almost anything! so he could get whoever he wanted and let off whoever he wanted. But at the same time there has to be a limit

sAx
sAx

izzy wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 17:27
sAx wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 16:32
it's a typical Max Mosley era rule isn't it: "drive the car alone and unaided" can mean almost anything! so he could get whoever he wanted and let off whoever he wanted. But at the same time there has to be a limit
A little like the modern vogue for tyre bashing enhanced overtakes in a non-contact sport..... has to be a limit! #LetThemRace

Jambier

Good race from the team

They are still not where they should, but it feels like they are more consistent in race pace lately

melconify

Espresso wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 12:28
saviour stivala wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 13:30
Maritimer wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 13:15
I think the reason its deemed illegal is precisely because the driver isnt calling for the bias charge himself, but the computer is on his behalf. Driver aid if ever there was one.
Exactly. "computer" the driver still had to make some inputs to instruct the program to activate.
Renault did not breach the technical regulations, by fielding an illegal car.
Renault breached the sporting regulations by providing the drivers with a drives aid.
The question is:
What is drivers aid. The arguments and the reasoning are all in the grey area.
The punishment is very harsh. Especially given the reasoning of the ruling.

To be blunt:

Keeping in mind the reasoning to penalize Renault I could argue the whole field should be disqualified for using flippers to change gear.

You flip a pedal and the car changes gear. A semi-automatic gearbox. And that is a drivers aid.
Guess we have to go back to a gear shift pedal... :mrgreen:
Actually you could even take that a step further. The clutch is electro-hydraulically operated and the revs are matched by the ecu when changing gears. You can qualify both as being a driver aid. Guess we have to go back to a clutch pedal as well and left foot braking off course for rev matching ;-)

Morteza

Dirk de Beer is back at Enstone as Head of Aerodynamics (he left the team in 2013 for Ferrari, and then had a stint at Williams in 2017)

Renault F1 Team strengthens Aerodynamics Department
Peter Machin, Head of Aerodynamics, is leaving the Team by mutual agreement, with immediate effect.

Dirk de Beer takes over as Head of Aerodynamics. Dirk brings extensive experience of managing Aerodynamics Departments and a successful track record, including at Enstone.

He will be supported by a Deputy Head of Aerodynamics who will join in the course of next year from another team. Vince Todd takes on this role on an interim basis until his arrival.

James Rodgers, currently Principal Aerodynamicist in charge of future car projects, is promoted to a new position of Chief Aerodynamicist, responsible for Aerodynamic performance development.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ME4ME

I wonder if we see Peter Machin back at Red Bull anytime soon. Also Dirk de Beer is an interesting choice. You'd say it didn't end well for him at Williams, but Renault might know more on the matter. They certainly know him from his previous stint at the team.

Dipesh1995

ME4ME wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 20:38
I wonder if we see Peter Machin back at Red Bull anytime soon. Also Dirk de Beer is an interesting choice. You'd say it didn't end well for him at Williams, but Renault might know more on the matter. They certainly know him from his previous stint at the team.
I'm surprised they're letting Machin go. He's very competent individual, knows his stuff in depth and is very approachable, always happy to help. Wouldn't be surprised if he is back at Red Bull imminently.

Mclarensenna

"Dirk de Beer is back at Enstone as Head of Aerodynamics"

Cyril brings in the aero guy who helped create the slowest car on the grid and ultimately the slowest car in Williams 40+ year history.

Cyril has really outdone himself this time!

marmer

Mclarensenna wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 02:35
"Dirk de Beer is back at Enstone as Head of Aerodynamics"

Cyril brings in the aero guy who helped create the slowest car on the grid and ultimately the slowest car in Williams 40+ year history.

Cyril has really outdone himself this time!
Combined with the fact that he outpriced his engine so now they only supply themselves ....