[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
rjsa
rjsa

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

I used to run:

Code: Select all

reconstructParMesh -constant

Code: Select all

reconstructPar -latestTime
Inside the case folder and surfaceLIC would be available when the whole case is loaded (via foam file).

rjsa
rjsa

LVDH wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 17:55
variante wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 13:09
k.ko100v wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 12:27
Is there a way to load the near wall velocity in paraview.
Yes. Load the U_nearWalls.vtk in Paraview, then use SurfaceLIC (check out on the web how to activate it). You can also use SurfaceLIC on certain other surfaces (section planes,...)
Thanks for this.

I have uploaded a fix of the newest MFlow version. Sorry about the trouble on that.
Hi Andre, thank you. It kept the same name (201910)?

LVDH

Yes, I was too lazy to rename it. If you open the GUI and click on the logo in the lower left hand corner, it should display today date.

rjsa
rjsa

Question for the guys who are using a vertical fin at the forward end of the floor/sidepod:

Is the intent to attach flow to the sidepod side and get rid of a huge detachment towards the rear wheel? Are you succeeding?

etsmc
etsmc

Without one i was finding that just at the end of the coke bottle low down near the undercut i was getting a large recirculating zone that was stopping the airflow between the rear tire and over the top of the diffuser. With the turning vane it does help bend the airflow back in and reduces the drag in that area i found.

rjsa
rjsa

My first try did fix the recirculation but worsened performance. Will keep trying.

LVDH

Hi guys,
I have released the scrutineering results:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/scrutineer ... cota-2019/
Penalties for: Pure Power Racing (3),SHM Racing,TalnoRacing,Team Racing

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

LVDH wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 17:55
variante wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 13:09
k.ko100v wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 12:27
Is there a way to load the near wall velocity in paraview.
Yes. Load the U_nearWalls.vtk in Paraview, then use SurfaceLIC (check out on the web how to activate it). You can also use SurfaceLIC on certain other surfaces (section planes,...)
Thanks for this.

I have uploaded a fix of the newest MFlow version. Sorry about the trouble on that.
Great job, that was fast :)

Thank you.

Now I have another issue. :oops:

I spent 3 days to turn my model, to a solid geometry (from surfaces) and last night I ran a simulation (MVRC fast).
It seems that the geometry now is fine, but I miss the U_nearWalls.vtk file

The folder where usually sits this file looks quite empty compare than usual. 39files, compared to 120 files in other runs.

So it seems that something again is wrong with the model. Could you please help me to find what it is? I found also that I have other previous runs with the same issue.

Regards,
Krasen

LVDH

That is pretty strange. The selection of the template or the MFlow update will not be the reason. I might not be able to help the next few days. Maybe you can send me an email with the sample.log in your case folder.

CAEdevice

Maybe it can help: it sometimes happened to me the same, but only with the old Win versions (I have been using Linux version since Race03-2019).

rjsa
rjsa

It’s happening here too. I’m not getting any colored mesh renderings on the report neither the speed slices. And it’s on and off, being way more off than on lately.

EDIT: I checked back the folder, those are the same VTKs I get.

rjsa
rjsa

LVDH wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 12:12
Hi guys,
Hi Andre, I see my car there - it's the picture in the beginning of the page - but I don't understand what's being pointed: exhaust and the wing box, both being supplied...

Edit: found it, rw endplate is bleeding.

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:30
LVDH wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 12:12
Hi guys,
Hi Andre, I see my car there - it's the picture in the beginning of the page - but I don't understand what's being pointed: exhaust and the wing box, both being supplied...

Edit: found it, rw endplate is bleeding.
Yes, the main issue are the wing mounts. There is an arrow pointing there.

rjsa wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 18:48
It’s happening here too. I’m not getting any colored mesh renderings on the report neither the speed slices. And it’s on and off, being way more off than on lately.

EDIT: I checked back the folder, those are the same VTKs I get.
It is always possible that the process of creating the VTK files crashes. It can be that your computer runs out of memory or storage. The likelyhood increases when you have open geometries, as these create much larger meshes. I will try to hurry to implement a better open geometry detection in MFlow, but this will not be ready for this season. You can both send me your cases, so I can have a look at them.

Now to some cooler stuff. Stream lines originating from your front wing endplates:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cfd-images-cota-2019/

rjsa
rjsa

It looks like I’ve hit it right on the outwash.

rjsa
rjsa

Andre, I’m using fusion now, meshes look neat. I ran the checkmesh script and checked them on magics. The sript does report problems but I could find no holes. The script also creates some obj files but I can’t figure out what’s wrong.

Tomorrow morning I’ll reboot before processing and see if it improves things. I have 64gb ram.