2019 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 1-3 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TAG

Re: 2019 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 1-3 November

Wass85 wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 05:16
It isn't great when you're the quali king of F1. It's nothing to do with that IMO as he's struggled on a Saturday all season. Bottas now has more poles than Lewis.
Maybe that's why there's such a gap, points are awarded on Sunday. We've got to get Saturday's Bottas all around in 2020.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Wass85
Wass85

TAG wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 05:52
Wass85 wrote:
It isn't great when you're the quali king of F1. It's nothing to do with that IMO as he's struggled on a Saturday all season. Bottas now has more poles than Lewis.
Maybe that's why there's such a gap, points are awarded on Sunday. We've got to get Saturday's Bottas all around in 2020.
Hey I agree with that mate. He's got the speed, all Hamilton has on him atm is tyre management. You would think that can be taught eventually and it looks to be doing so as his race pace has improved considerably since Monza. It's too little too late for him but it's the best season he's had with Mercedes.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Wass85 wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 04:35
Wass85 wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 00:40

No I'm just a disappointed fan of his that's wounded he's not smashing it in qualifying.
12-8 is not bad mate. :) I was expecting more like 14-6 though at the beginning of the season :D However Lewis always loses smt after he guarantees the title. It happened all the prior seasons.
Well, he *is* the king.

dans79

Wass85 wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:
Wass85 wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 00:40

No I'm just a disappointed fan of his that's wounded he's not smashing it in qualifying.
12-8 is not bad mate. :) I was expecting more like 14-6 though at the beginning of the season :D However Lewis always loses smt after he guarantees the title. It happened all the prior seasons.
Quali isn't nearly as important this year as it has been in years past. The best of the best are those than learn to adapt.
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

After the PU-related Technical Directive was issued, Ferrari's straightline speed advantage was halved, per GPS measurements (AMuS).

Marko: "Our top speed deficit to Ferrari was not so bad [in qualifying]. On the long straight, it was three to four tenths. Yesterday we lost twice that. "

AMuS:

"In the GPS comparisons shows that Ferrari wins in Austin on all straights together three and a half tenths to the Mercedes and six tenths to the Red Bull Honda. That's about half of what was measured the previous day. And half of the Ferrari advantage in Suzuka, a circuit similar to the Circuit of the Americas."

Wass85
Wass85

dans79 wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 06:14
Wass85 wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:

Quali isn't nearly as important this year as it has been in years past. The best of the best are those than learn to adapt.
It's as important as it was in 2017 and 2018 mate, Bottas is doing well and is really surprising me.

lh13
lh13

dans79 wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 06:14
Wass85 wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:

Excuses!

Partymood
Partymood

zibby43 wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 06:21
After the PU-related Technical Directive was issued, Ferrari's straightline speed advantage was halved, per GPS measurements (AMuS).

Marko: "Our top speed deficit to Ferrari was not so bad [in qualifying]. On the long straight, it was three to four tenths. Yesterday we lost twice that. "

AMuS:

"In the GPS comparisons shows that Ferrari wins in Austin on all straights together three and a half tenths to the Mercedes and six tenths to the Red Bull Honda. That's about half of what was measured the previous day. And half of the Ferrari advantage in Suzuka, a circuit similar to the Circuit of the Americas."
We'll see if it is really down to that or a different set up with more downforce.
Can't wait for FP1 in Brasil

MtthsMlw

zibby43 wrote:

AMuS:

Or they put some more downforce on the car, just like they did in Mexico where they also gained less on the straight on Saturday than on Friday.
Finish line speed trap still shows the usual picture of Ferrari accelerating faster than anyone else. Also their top speed on every straight is still a couple of kmh higher than that of Merc or RB.

LM10
LM10

MtthsMlw wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 10:35
zibby43 wrote:

AMuS:

Or they put some more downforce on the car, just like they did in Mexico where they also gained less on the straight on Saturday than on Friday.
Finish line speed trap still shows the usual picture of Ferrari accelerating faster than anyone else. Also their top speed on every straight is still a couple of kmh higher than that of Merc or RB.
Yea, yesterday I wrote the same regarding finish line speed which is what really matters as it tells us something about acceleration which still was siginificantly better than others.

More downforce is a pretty realistic reason for the less gain on the straights compared to Friday. In S3 Ferrari was as fast as Mercedes. Only Verstappen was a tenth up.

Juzh

P01 bottas usa q3 1.32.029
https://streamable.com/5zorv

P02 vettel usa q3 1.32.041
https://streamable.com/5g5q2

P03 verstappen usa q3 1.32.096
https://streamable.com/rrstf

P04 leclerc usa q3 1.32.137
https://streamable.com/es1q9

P07 sainz usa q3 1.32.847
https://streamable.com/bwhki

sosic2121
sosic2121

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 01:14
Hamitlon had a headache from the bumps. He has been the best qualifier this year STILL. Check his qualifying performance. When he doesnt have the car he still maximises. And the fact he setd up for the race and still beats Bottas in Q is pretty awesome.
I think you are confusing thin gauge tires (which obviously suit one car better than any other, as we have seen basically every race this season)
with race setup.

Shrieker

Juzh wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 11:05
P01 bottas usa q3 1.32.029
That's an almost perfect lap from Bottas. There's only one moment where he corrected a bit; coming onto the back straight. He went inch perfect in the penultimate corner. He even rode the sleeping policeman a bit on the inside. You can not take that corner any better.

And as always, thanks for the vids man.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Sevach
Sevach

Large difference in top speed between Vettel and Leclerc.

Ferrari use a lot less curb than the others, Verstappen and Sainz (looked awesome kudos to him) pretty much cut the track at points, both Ferrari drivers aren't quite as aggressive.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Hamilton admits he messed up in qualifying:

“It’s nothing to do with the car, it’s just me,” he admitted. “I just didn’t pull the laps out together today and clearly the car had the capability to be on the front row and I just didn’t do it today, so it was my fault, but I’ll try and rectify it tomorrow.”

Unlike some, he takes the blame when he messes up.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.