2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 22:54
Missed that 6th place for only 1 second. The 2nd pit stop costed us and the lack of softs.Still the car is overall 4th best. Congratulations for capturing 4th place. Very impressive year and we clearly see results. Now to do two good final races and then onwards to nullifying the difference as we are faster in development.
Good point about the stops. Team was obviously very conservative in the stops, they would hold the car for half a second longer than needed, all the stops were slower than 3 seconds, I think one even 4 seconds. Team needs to solve their equipment issue if there is one.

genarro
genarro

Great drive from Lando. The tires in Sainz car died in the end. Would be great if Lando overtook Dani but all that matters are the points

Darth-Piekus

So question. How much must we cover in order to be able to challenge for the championship against the Mercedes?

Xero

Lando finished just 4 tenths behind in he end. 1 lap more and he would have had him. Decent result, but another indication that we aren't "clear" of the midfield by any stretch. Cements 4th in the constructors though! Fantastic season and thoroughly deserved.

Congrats to Hamilton on WC #6.

Darth-Piekus

I would say not super 4th clear but overall the 4th best team. So how much must we cover to be able to go for the big prize and how much more so we can dominate?

proteus

Xero wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 23:01
Lando finished just 4 tenths behind in he end. 1 lap more and he would have had him. Decent result, but another indication that we aren't "clear" of the midfield by any stretch. Cements 4th in the constructors though! Fantastic season and thoroughly deserved.

Congrats to Hamilton on WC #6.
He might have also had him if Magnussen would not cause yellow flag. You win some, you lose some. In the end, Mclaren didnt lose any of its advantage. Result is not perfect, but miles ahead of what used to be in the past.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 23:04
I would say not super 4th clear but overall the 4th best team. So how much must we cover to be able to go for the big prize and how much more so we can dominate?
Midfield is still too track specific, including Mclaren. The biggest achillies heel is reliability, not to mention they threw away arround 10 points with tyres not being properly attached to the car + bad pitstops today as well.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 23:00
So question. How much must we cover in order to be able to challenge for the championship against the Mercedes?
That’s a near impossible target in the short to medium term. But I think they’ll need to make a net gain of 1.2-1.5secs with the way things currently stand, to challenge the top 3
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

True that tracks suit cars differently but McLaren was better in most tracks and that is why they got that 4th place. Also I think it's more like 0.8 to 1 second and I don't see why we can't nullify it since we cut the difference this year in half.

Jambier

Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 23:13
True that tracks suit cars differently but McLaren was better in most tracks and that is why they got that 4th place. Also I think it's more like 0.8 to 1 second and I don't see why we can't nullify it since we cut the difference this year in half.
Because the last tenth are the hardest to get.

I hope next year they can also cut in half and be 5/6 tenth from Merc, that will bring them close to top teams and even challenge the weakest one sometime

Darth-Piekus

Remains to be seen. Noone can deny that for the first time we are seeing results after so many empty promises from the previous team.

Jambier

Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 23:25
Remains to be seen. Noone can deny that for the first time we are seeing results after so many empty promises from the previous team.
Yes.
And I think this is a the first positive season since 2012... it was time ! Even if the team is still "underperforming" related to their status

RonDennis
RonDennis

Well, McLaren already confirmed on Saturday that they were in for a hard time because of the wind change.

Emag
Emag

The 2018 car was very poor. Kind of "easy" to find time when you are that low, but hey, look at Williams, so props to McLaren. Assuming the top 3 only gain on average 0.5 seconds compared to this year, McLaren needs 1 second to be in the mix, and another half to fight for occasional wins like RedBull this year. 1 second may not seem like that big of a deal, but Renault has failed to cut that last bit of the gap to the top for two years now.
Looking at it from that point of view, the decision from McLaren to change the philosophy a bit for next year is understandable. You don't gain over 1 second on stable regulations by pure evolution. If they want to cut the gap to the front, they have to take this risk. I really hope it pays off. It would really boost their confidence to explore different solutions for 2021 if they get 2020 right. I really miss the old McLaren. They were one of the most innovative teams back in the good days. I hope they get back to that soon.
Fingers crossed for them during the winter. Their future kind of depends on this next season. If they deliver, then we can definitely say McLaren is on the way up again. In the mean time, we should celebrate this season as the first real positive season for them in years. They have given the fans, and most importantly, theirselves a good boost of confidence.
Last edited by Emag on 03 Nov 2019, 23:34, edited 2 times in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:Lot of you guys are becoming extremely critical. The team looked nowhere on Friday, looked quite fast on Saturday but said they expect to struggle more on Sunday due to wind changing back to the one on Friday. In the race, it was quite close. In this rule formula it seems that if you get ahead, you usually gain enough to stay ahead.

Norris raced a really good race, great start, great passes around Ricciardo and Vettel only to lose out to extremely experienced, fast and dive bombing Ricciardo (and that by 0.4 seconds due to yellows at the end).

Sainz got pushed outside at the start, yet was able to climb back to P8.

Great solid race by everyone. These kind of races need to become regular. Get double points finish even when things aren't really going your way.
I don’t think that it is wrong to be critical of the team... The fact that you may be a fan doesn’t meant that you have to be blind to the areas of improvement / opportunity that are there for the team, sometimes unrelated to even the car concept.

The team needs to improve their pit stops, need to continue to develop their strategy among others... Recognizing that this are issues that have to be addressed if they really want to join the top 3 at some point is key.

I’m amazed at the improvement of the team from year on year in regards to their performance, still a long way to go and happy to watch their journey... But, they need to address those nagging issues that on paper, should be easier to address than a change of concept on the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk