Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are Schumacher's WDC and Win records under threat of being eclipsed?

Will the 7 WDC record be broken?
3%
Will the 91 Victory record be broken?
26%
Neither record will be broken.
12%
Both records will be broken.
59%

Total votes: 172

NathanOlder

Re: Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

TAG wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 23:59
Time to once again dust off this thread, 6 titles and 83 races. I was doubtful of 7 titles and the 7th will be the toughest one to get IMO but I believe that the 91 falls next season.
Surely if the 91 falls, then 7 will be equaled. If Hamilton wins 8 races, that will probably mean the other 14 races he will achieve 8-10 podiums, so the title will likely come too.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Wass85

I think he will match Schumacher, 8 is a push though as I think Verstappen is now the fastest driver out there. If the cars are closely matched in 2021 I think the Dutchman will stop Hamilton's run.

TAG

NathanOlder wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 00:01
TAG wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 23:59
Time to once again dust off this thread, 6 titles and 83 races. I was doubtful of 7 titles and the 7th will be the toughest one to get IMO but I believe that the 91 falls next season.
Surely if the 91 falls, then 7 will be equaled. If Hamilton wins 8 races, that will probably mean the other 14 races he will achieve 8-10 podiums, so the title will likely come too.
Since 2014 the least amount of races he's won in a season has been 9. (I think)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

izzy

TAG wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 00:18
Since 2014 the least amount of races he's won in a season has been 9. (I think)
although, 2020 is the 7th year of this engine and it's getting tighter all the time. Next year could be very, very tight. Tho i suppose one thing is his favour might be that the others will probably share out their wins

Just_a_fan

I think next year will be someone else's turn. I think it'll be a closer season, but I think there'll be sufficient pace elsewhere to make it very hard to get no.7.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Wass85 wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 00:02
I think he will match Schumacher, 8 is a push though as I think Verstappen is now the fastest driver out there. If the cars are closely matched in 2021 I think the Dutchman will stop Hamilton's run.
It's touch and go. Max didn't blow Ricciardo away, who didn't blow Hulkenberg, who didn't blow Perez, who could barely match Button, who got blown away by Hamilton. Max is more or less within the range of one to two tenths, but not anything outstanding. None of the drivers these days are that outstanding with the level of preparation and sport science these days.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zeph

my $0.02

If the 2021 rules work as intended, records like Schumacher and Hamilton may well become a thing of the past.

If Hamilton is aware of that, it might fuel his motivation to break Schuey’s records, knowing there’s a good chance they will remain in place for a long time.

foxmulder_ms

zeph wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 01:45
my $0.02

If the 2021 rules work as intended, records like Schumacher and Hamilton may well become a thing of the past.

If Hamilton is aware of that, it might fuel his motivation to break Schuey’s records, knowing there’s a good chance they will remain in place for a long time.
In 2021 with the rule changes like this.. the current competition will be missed sooo much :D We have 3 teams fighting for the wins right now! Are people blind?!?! 2nd half of the season has been as good as it gets.

ringo

Wass85 wrote:
Yet to be proven if Max is the fastest out there unless he races against a non redbull driver. Also he doesn't have the head to fight for championships. Albon, the slower less talented driver is outscoring Max since they have been teammates.
But regarding Hamilton, he has reached enlightenment in F1, and it will be very difficult for another driver to beat him unless there is a complete overhaul with car design and engine type. 2019 was not his most difficult year because he was not chasing or having to push hard to overcome a competitor. His last difficult season was 2016.
Max is not enough to stop Hamilton. Max will need a car over 7 tenths a lap quicker to beat lewis over a season.
For Sure!!

selvam_e2002

I agree 100% with ringo. Max is a good driver but we cannot judge his temper and talent if he fight for WCC. He clearly knows the RB is not WCC car so, he can do whatever he want in the car and race.

once he is in WCC frame with other team, then we can see how he performs.

Simple example is Vettel and Lecrec. Both are making many mistake under pressure situation.

GPR-A

ringo wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 04:06
Wass85 wrote:
Yet to be proven if Max is the fastest out there unless he races against a non redbull driver. Also he doesn't have the head to fight for championships. Albon, the slower less talented driver is outscoring Max since they have been teammates.
But regarding Hamilton, he has reached enlightenment in F1, and it will be very difficult for another driver to beat him unless there is a complete overhaul with car design and engine type. 2019 was not his most difficult year because he was not chasing or having to push hard to overcome a competitor. His last difficult season was 2016.
Max is not enough to stop Hamilton. Max will need a car over 7 tenths a lap quicker to beat lewis over a season.
If only being young and fast was enough to win the championships, especially if it is all about equal cars. Young drivers have won championships when they had good pace advantage of the car over their rivals, which allowed them to overcome the terminal mistakes they commit through the season. When cars are equal, it was always the guy who managed the season with less mistakes prevailed and experience teaches how to manage a whole season. The moment a driver is in contention for championship, it adds a truck load of pressure which forces him to make mistakes OR becomes a lot more cautious taking away the edge of the pace.

Even if RB produces an equal car to Mercedes AND Ferrari doesn't, it wouldn't be surprising to see Lewis win the championship again. This year itself, when the car didn't have pace, Max was doing just fine and when the car got good pace in the second half, he was once again reckless to the point that, his team mate has outscored him in that part. So, it's not a given that Max would win a championship if the car is ready for it, especially if he has to battle it out with Lewis.

Wass85

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 01:42
Wass85 wrote:
It's touch and go. Max didn't blow Ricciardo away, who didn't blow Hulkenberg, who didn't blow Perez, who could barely match Button, who got blown away by Hamilton. Max is more or less within the range of one to two tenths, but not anything outstanding. None of the drivers these days are that outstanding with the level of preparation and sport science these days.
He beat Ricciardo 15-3 in qualifying in 2018 and pulled some monster laps on him, if that's not blowing him away I don't know what is.

Max has confidently stated he would have 2 tenths on Hamilton, I don't think he'd be far wrong now.

The scary thing is his race pace is even faster, with a car at the front he would make less mistakes.

GPR-A

Wass85 wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 07:55
Max has confidently stated he would have 2 tenths on Hamilton, I don't think he'd be far wrong now.

The scary thing is his race pace is even faster, with a car at the front he would make less mistakes.
How do you compare? They are in two different cars. Unless you want to believe it that way, there is no way to state it. Every driver believes he has margin on other, but that is just hot air until they both drive the same machine.

Wass85

GPR -A wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 07:59
Wass85 wrote:

How do you compare? They are in two different cars. Unless you want to believe it that way, there is no way to state it. Every driver believes he has margin on other, but that is just hot air until they both drive the same machine.
Just the way he's destroyed his teammates in qualifying. Barring Suzuka where they posted identical times Max has wiped the floor with his teammates in qualifying.

Lewis has admitted himself qualifying is not going great this season, he's lost a step there for whatever reason. Max is also super fast in race trim and I really do think he would be too quick for Lewis at this stage of his career.

Speaking as a fan I don't think he could handle them being teammates, one's legacy would take a hit that's for sure.
Last edited by Wass85 on 04 Nov 2019, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.

GPR-A

Wass85 wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 08:05
GPR -A wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 07:59
Wass85 wrote:

Just the way he's destroyed his teammates in qualifying. Barring Suzuka where they posted identical times Max has wiped the floor with his teammates in qualifying.

Lewis has admitted himself qualifying is not going great this season, he's lost a step there for whatever reason. Max is also super fast in race trim and I really do think he would be too quick for Lewis at this stage of his career.
All of this is a feel factor and like I said, what you want to believe. The fact can only be established when they fight in the same car, until then you can hold on to your opinion.