2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Godius

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

After the race Max stated that he had seen a hole in the floor of his RB15. Does someone here managed to find a picture of the damaged floor?

diffuser

GhostF1 wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 02:52
Bill_Kar wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 02:11
velizare wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 01:30

now albon finished ~1m13s behind verstappen. he was not lapped only because this track is much larger than hungaroring or the red bull ring, but this duration means about a lap in hungary or in austria too.
he couldn't challenge any of the mercedes or ferraris this time as well, but he had some fine battles with mclarens. this is the performance why horner sent back gasly to str.
Umm.. Did you watch the race? Did you see that part where Albon was forced to pit in lap 1?

I still don't know why I bother to answer. Just a troll
Exactly.. I'm pretty sure people don't watch the race but read the results at the end and talk nonsense. Alex did a fine job recovering back to 5th even with 3 pitstops. His race pace was not far off Max's either. He had to make loads of overtakes, several times over due to the pits and he did so cleanly. He's getting faster with every GP

I personally don't think they gave Gasly enough time but at this point you're doing the same and even less time to Albon. Bouncing them just plays with their confidence. It doesn't really matter where they drive they just need some time. Then we'll know. if they're good enough and there is no room at RBR they'll drive for other teams like Vettel, Ricciardo and Sainz. If they're not they'll find their way to Formula-e

godlameroso

I'm more excited for next season. With all the lessons both Honda and Red Bull have learned. With the essentially same rules, they should have more scope to improve their already very decent package. McLaren took a huge leap between this and last year and part of that was better integration of the power unit in the chassis.

With a full year of collaboration next year should be a very decent step for both Honda and Red Bull. If they were already close this year, they'll be even closer next.
Saishū kōnā

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

diffuser wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 18:45
GhostF1 wrote:
Bill_Kar wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 02:11

Umm.. Did you watch the race? Did you see that part where Albon was forced to pit in lap 1?

I still don't know why I bother to answer. Just a troll
Exactly.. I'm pretty sure people don't watch the race but read the results at the end and talk nonsense. Alex did a fine job recovering back to 5th even with 3 pitstops. His race pace was not far off Max's either. He had to make loads of overtakes, several times over due to the pits and he did so cleanly. He's getting faster with every GP

I personally don't think they gave Gasly enough time but at this point you're doing the same and even less time to Albon. Bouncing them just plays with their confidence. It doesn't really matter where they drive they just need some time. Then we'll know. if they're good enough and there is no room at RBR they'll drive for other teams like Vettel, Ricciardo and Sainz. If they're not they'll find their way to Formula-e
Also Albion had a compromised strategy because the only set of hard tires they brought for him ended up getting a cold crack during an installation lap. Pirelli wouldnt let red bull use them but they also couldn't be replaced because they'd been used.

Albion had an amazing race for all the issues he had to deal with. He's done great in the red bull and he'll definitely be in that car next year.

Marti_EF3

godlameroso wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 19:20
I'm more excited for next season. With all the lessons both Honda and Red Bull have learned. With the essentially same rules, they should have more scope to improve their already very decent package. McLaren took a huge leap between this and last year and part of that was better integration of the power unit in the chassis.

With a full year of collaboration next year should be a very decent step for both Honda and Red Bull. If they were already close this year, they'll be even closer next.
They should create a car "easy" to setup, and no so diva with bumps, wind and so on. Maybe less rake and a bit more wheelbase?? I don't know, but if they want to challenge the title, they need to be more adaptable. What happened at Bahréin and France is unnaceptable if you want to win a title. Same for that Lap 1 incidents.

diffuser

Maplesoup wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 19:22
diffuser wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:

Also Albion had a compromised strategy because the only set of hard tires they brought for him ended up getting a cold crack during an installation lap. Pirelli wouldnt let red bull use them but they also couldn't be replaced because they'd been used.

Albion had an amazing race for all the issues he had to deal with. He's done great in the red bull and he'll definitely be in that car next year.
For this year...you measure Albon on Saturday and how close he is to Max. On Sunday if he finishes 6th(without retirements of one of the top 3 teams members), It's neither good or bad, It is expected. If he finishes higher on Merit it's good.

So far he hasn't done any of those positives but he hasn't done any of the negatives either. So I wouldn't be over the moon with him nor would I throw him out with the bathwater. I would presume that some point next year he starts to close the gap to Max. If he doesn't then you have a decision to make.

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 19:20

Don't buy the 1st year of integration. IMHO RBR was fully invested in the STR first year. So I wouldn't expect a big bump from that. McLaren Basically came out with the same car they had designed for the Honda PU with the Renault PU. Wrong gearing, nothing moved over top of the PU to fill the void nada.

diffuser

Last edited by diffuser on 05 Nov 2019, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

gokarter
gokarter

redbull should go for a longer wheelbase with a little bit less rake,. it probably the best compromise

Hino
Hino

Supposedly Binotto paid a visit to Horner after the race at the Red Bull hospitality and threatened legal action because of Max's comments about Ferrari.. :mrgreen:

https://www.motorlat.com/notas/f1/13590 ... -the-us-gp
The US Grand Prix culminated with a triumph of Valtteri Bottas and the sixth world championship of Lewis Hamilton on his history in F1, but it was also the Grand Prix where Ferrari has suffered more during the year, fourth place final but with a Gray performance of the Scudería Ferrari. In the post race press conference, Max Verstappen was the one who declared that he was not surprised by what happened here with Ferrari, that he is not surprised “at all” and went further by saying that “that happens when a team cheats” ...

After the Grand Prix the Paddock was very moved and something was setting, we saw the English journalists in a meeting with Christian Horner and the tension in the air was cut with a knife, I was standing outside the Red Bull hospitaity when I could see how Mattia Binotto passed in front of the group of journalists and Horner, Mattia watched closely what happened there. Binotto observed and returned to his hospitality only to return a few minutes later, Horner said goodbye to the journalists present when Mattia headed inside the hospitality, looked for Horner who was at the entrance and immediately began an exchange of clear views and blunt, Mattia had gone to look only for Horner, to his own territory and with a lot of personality, he demonstrated why he is a leader, he firmly spoke with Horner and there were complaints, what I managed to hear was a warning about legal actions, Horner explained that he only shared his opinions and Mattia replied in a strict tone, the level of the discussion went up and Binotto nodded to get shot out of the Red Bull Hospitality, evidently the tension was full and Horner literally raised the colors to his face.

G'dayBruce
G'dayBruce

Haha, well at least we don't have to worry about Max taking a drive with Ferrari any time soon.

godlameroso

That's politics, man that's actually kind of juicy. Well at least we don't have to worry about Ferrari poaching Verstappen. Even if Red Bull doesn't take a huge step like McLaren did, you can't know how a car is going to run until you put it on track. Both Honda and Red Bull will both take steps during the winter, the engine will be better, the chassis will be better, and the marriage between the two will be more efficient. Verstappen was slower than Mercedes, but he wasn't miles off, he doesn't need much to be on equal terms. If the balance of power shifts by .5% it would be enough to change the way races finish substantially. Bottas was on average about .2 seconds per lap faster than Verstappen, Hamilton may have had another .1, that means in race pace RB is .3 seconds behind.

That means that the step they take over the winter has to be Mercedes step +.3.

I think it's more likely that the gap is closed than it widening over the winter, Red Bull have been working on next year's car, clearly devoting more resources to it than either Mercedes or Ferrari. Red Bull also has taken the time to understand where they can improve, where they went wrong this year, and I'm sure they've been working to fix it. Tires will be harder and seem to have softer sidewalls which will require new suspension setups, they may also affect aero.

As far as wheelbase is concerned, maybe they design the car with a little less rake, however the wheelbase difference between the the RB15 and Mercedes isn't that great, less than 100mm.

I feel that integrating the power unit into the chassis hampered development of the rear end of the car, and next year the rear end of the car will take a big step forward, much better packaging will give more aero real estate. The rear wing will be much more developed, the side pod fences will also take a step forward. Much of the improvements require repackaging the tub to make space for the intended changes, this modification can only be done over the winter.

All they have to do is close a .3 second gap and it's absolutely game on for both WCC and WDC. It's a big gap they have to close, considering most teams gain a second over the winter, it means RB16 would have to be minimum 1.3 to 1.5 seconds faster than this year's car. In that context it appears to be a big challenge to overcome. Ferrari won't be standing still either, a fierce 3 team rivalry that shows how cutthroat this sport can be would actually be hugely entertaining from a TV standpoint.
Last edited by godlameroso on 05 Nov 2019, 02:43, edited 2 times in total.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

G'dayBruce wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 02:29
Haha, well at least we don't have to worry about Max taking a drive with Ferrari any time soon.
My thoughts exactly.
Saishū kōnā

GhostF1
GhostF1

diffuser wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 20:57
Maplesoup wrote:
diffuser wrote:

For this year...you measure Albon on Saturday and how close he is to Max. On Sunday if he finishes 6th(without retirements of one of the top 3 teams members), It's neither good or bad, It is expected. If he finishes higher on Merit it's good.

So far he hasn't done any of those positives but he hasn't done any of the negatives either. So I wouldn't be over the moon with him nor would I throw him out with the bathwater. I would presume that some point next year he starts to close the gap to Max. If he doesn't then you have a decision to make.
If Alex was on the right strategy in Mexico, he'd of probably of been on the podium. On merit. In the US, if he didn't get smacked by Sainz and require the stop or take the damage his car sustained, he'd of been right up there, likely 4th, on merit. His driving style and overtaking manoeuvres are also far superior to what Gasly showed in the RBR and STR as well.

Bit unfair to say he's done nothing.

diffuser

GhostF1 wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 03:02
diffuser wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 20:57
Maplesoup wrote:

If Alex was on the right strategy in Mexico, he'd of probably of been on the podium. On merit. In the US, if he didn't get smacked by Sainz and require the stop or take the damage his car sustained, he'd of been right up there, likely 4th, on merit. His driving style and overtaking manoeuvres are also far superior to what Gasly showed in the RBR and STR as well.

Bit unfair to say he's done nothing.
He hasn't done enough for me to say hey