[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
rjsa

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

I’m running Koldskaal ‘s wings on my car. Let’s see how far off my floor/diffuser combo are.

My first question is: are you guys running wing pillows in the highres folder?

One thing I noticed is how neat the parts are, I’m sure going to tide up things.

Thanks for sharing!

Koldskaal

rjsa wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 14:44
I’m running Koldskaal ‘s wings on my car. Let’s see how far off my floor/diffuser combo are.
😲 how did you get my wings? I think you mean CAEdevice's 😁
rjsa wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 14:44
One thing I noticed is how neat the parts are, I’m sure going to tide up things.
Definitive evidence that those are not my wings. 🤣

It was meant as a joke at first, but if you guys really want them i wouldn't mind sharing them. It seems that my floor is doing most of the work anyway. And they really aren't very good when compared with the figures CAEdevice and variante shared. So here they are, close to cota spec both of them.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
And some cross sections:
Front wing, airfoils are all modified naca23012

Rear wing, airfoils front to back:
Wortmann fx74-Cl5 that I might have modified a bit (I don't remember).
Eppler E423
modified 23012.
I am sure you could find a bit of performance by playing around with the angles a bit.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

rjsa

Ouch, those are Matteo's!!! Sorry. The compliment stays Matteo, neat work.

CAEdevice

Thanks! No problem! The airfoils are not taken from a NACA or similar template, I have my own rules to design multi airfoil wings. I use document profiles only for single airfoils components (not always). Let me know if they work.

I think, reading his posts, that Christian is an expert of wings, it would be cool to meet all of you one day. We need a sponsor for a MVRC conference in the future (or a tax for professional teams like CAEdevice).

Koldskaal

CAEdevice wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 19:16
Thanks! No problem! The airfoils are not taken from a NACA or similar template, I have my own rules to design multi airfoil wings. I use document profiles only for single airfoils components (not always). Let me know if they work.

I think, reading his posts, that Christian is an expert of wings, it would be cool to meet all of you one day. We need a sponsor for a MVRC conference in the future (or a tax for professional teams like CAEdevice).
I appeciate the compliment, but i feel i must state that i am not an expert :) . I know that there is someone in Denmark one might consider an expert in wings also called Christian, but i am not that guy.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

rjsa

CAEdevice wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 19:16

Now that was unexpected. Within 2/100ths of a second in Yas.Your wings gave a bit less drag and lift, same efficiency for the car. A bit less cooling but well within (1.68 mine, 1.65 yours).

This was great help because will save me a lot of time. No point fixing wings too much, the performance is somewhere else.

JJR
JJR

I dont ´t think that simply copy and past another wing will work right away . It must be consider whole concept of you car. It can work on Matteo car but on another car it can´t work as well.
In past I have done similar tests with real world designs and it was working rarely better as expected.

Before COTA race I found mistake on my rear wing . My gap between main wing and flap was around 25mm (if I remember correctly) which was not good for my rear wing design and I must make somehow this silly mistake.(I usually have from 3 to 5 % of wing chord). Alone correction of this mistake give me around delta ClA = -0.15 and move ballance in right direction. So I was running 2 rounds with bad wing due to my inconsequence. There are usually small things which makes big differences.

wb92

I agree that copy/paste may not work straight away. You can get some clues about this and that from others and try to implement things to your car, but still these may require some iterations until they will work with one's car.

If we speak about development progress between Suzuka and COTA I made at least few different car configs and actually none of them really worked as I wanted, so for COTA there was only small and safe sets of updates. Following to fix the rear so much I almost completely missed the point that what's on the rear starts in the front of the car. Meanwhile some smaller or bigger design mistakes occured, so looks like everyone has own development issues and car characteristics to deal with. A bit annoying is slow turnaround with cases, as now each takes at least half of the day to be close with official runs, therefore each change must be properly analysed, but getting some proper habits, so I will be better prepared for next challenges :)
MVRC - WBRacing

rjsa

I understand all that. But Being within 2/100ths of a second tell me that there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with my wings and that's a good reason why I keep chasing my tail around them without much improvement.

It's something else, in the design or interaction of parts and insisting in number of elements, gaps and naca templates won't do much good.

wb92

I also thought there is nothing wrong with my wings, aaaaaand that was wrong assumption, at least in my case.

Interaction of parts is indeed the most tricky point when developing parts
MVRC - WBRacing

yinlad

Hey all, I'm so sad I only just found out about this! Will definitely be fully involved next season, and hopefully give the last event of 2019 a bash too. Some really interesting stuff going on here
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

Hi, do you know if it is possible to resume a simulation? I mean running 500 more iterations of a completed and post processed simulation.

machin

yinlad wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 20:59
Hey all, I'm so sad I only just found out about this! Will definitely be fully involved next season, and hopefully give the last event of 2019 a bash too. Some really interesting stuff going on here
Cool! but you’ve only got one week to design your car for the last event of 2019!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

yinlad wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 20:59
Welcome onboard!

rjsa

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 14:09
Hi, do you know if it is possible to resume a simulation? I mean running 500 more iterations of a completed and post processed simulation.
I got this from Andre a while back but didn't manage to get it right:
We can get a running standard MVRC simulation and make run further even if it was finished?

After it is finished you have to edit the controlDict file. Change the number of endTime (this is the number of total iterations), the writeInterval and change startFrom startTime; to startFrom latestTime;
I recommend backing up the folder before trying. Let us know if you make it work please.