2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Capharol

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 01:49
Capharol wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 00:31
F1Krof wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 22:24
I don't know if I said enough. Bollocks bollocks bollocks ...

This is destroying F1 as we know it. It just another Indy Car Plus series, with standardized parts and cars that weigh as much as bulldozers. And for what? We want spectacle!!! Yes fake ass hypocritic spectacle! What happened to DRS being there as an artificial guide to help increase the spectacle of overtaking?

F1 is about technological brilliancy as much as it as about racing. With standardized heavy lazy parts, I'll watch Indy Car or F2, F3 or Super Formula or Touring Cars.

This is bullshit!
okay that was your statement, standing oposite of the general thoughts (let say 85%-90% of the F1 fans) about the 2021 ruling
You have data to back up your "85%-90% of F1 fans", have you? I'm guessing not...
I guess you should read more motorsportmagazines (online as offline) and read this topic more often then you see what i mean

Capharol

F1Krof wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 11:53
All right good luck watching Truck Racing then. Everyother car on each other's butt all race long.
if you don't like it ... stop watching F1, very simple...

i love these 2021 rules and looking forward to see these cars on tracks

wesley123

mzso wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 01:38
You're like the guy who was complaining after a rule change that at this rate they'll never reach 300 km/h average speed.
BTW, F1 currently doesn't bring racing and not even much technological brilliance. Certainly not the aero, which only wastes money on convoluted aero designs...
Brilliance might not be the right word. But F1 is a technological sport, it is what differentiates F1 from other classes. It defines what F1 is.
Capharol wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 12:04
Just_a_fan wrote:
You have data to back up your "85%-90% of F1 fans", have you? I'm guessing not...
I guess you should read more motorsportmagazines (online as offline) and read this topic more often then you see what i mean
That's not really proof is it? That's your subjective view. Just as subjective as that I think these 'fans' don't know the essence of F1, won't stay up late or wake up early to watch the race, will continue to complain as always and will quickly drop F1 if there's something else on TV or if their favorite driver is doing bad.

F1 isn't trying to appeal to its fans, it is trying to appeal to an as large of a viewerbase as possible.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

F1Krof

wesley123 wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 13:00
mzso wrote:
You're like the guy who was complaining after a rule change that at this rate they'll never reach 300 km/h average speed.
BTW, F1 currently doesn't bring racing and not even much technological brilliance. Certainly not the aero, which only wastes money on convoluted aero designs...
Brilliance might not be the right word. But F1 is a technological sport, it is what differentiates F1 from other classes. It defines what F1 is.
Capharol wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
That's not really proof is it? That's your subjective view. Just as subjective as that I think these 'fans' don't know the essence of F1, won't stay up late or wake up early to watch the race, will continue to complain as always and will quickly drop F1 if there's something else on TV or if their favorite driver is doing bad.

F1 isn't trying to appeal to its fans, it is trying to appeal to an as large of a viewerbase as possible.
Completely agree. I would just add that the way they're trying to do is through artificial means.

I agree to some extent about the budget cap, maybe not the way that they are putting it, since it is clearly a counter measure towards big three teams, but ok lets say it is acceptable. But to go about standardizing parts! That's bullshit.
Wroom wroom

Maplesoup

F1Krof wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 13:22
I agree to some extent about the budget cap, maybe not the way that they are putting it, since it is clearly a counter measure towards big three teams, but ok lets say it is acceptable. But to go about standardizing parts! That's bullshit.
Pretty sure most of the standard parts have been ditched in favor of the Open Source approach instead.

All I can think off at the minute is fuel pump and other parts of the fuel system,
Wheel covers and that little wing over the top of the wheel
The DRS mechanism

The aero regulations are in reality about as prescriptive as the existing aero regs, they are just a big change. Also they can't be that prescriptive if teams are describing them as "Green".

F1 hasn't really been a technological sport for a while, the sport has fallen behind the motor industry quite a bit as we move more to automation, electrification and driver aids. So the new regulations are an attempt to save F1 from becoming irrelevant as a technical showcase and move it more to close competitive entertaining race series.

Capharol

F1Krof wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 13:22
wesley123 wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 13:00
mzso wrote:
Capharol wrote:

Completely agree. I would just add that the way they're trying to do is through artificial means.

and if you read, there are enough free space to develop a car how the teams want it to.
there are opensource parts aswell, so access for all teams, its not as bad as it looks like it
they were right to go back to some kind of basics, the cars where to complicated.....

The main problem is, ppl wants it mostly keep it the same, although it is shyte, instead of changing something.
and before saying its bullshit or hiphip hurray first wait and see what the cars are getting like, ofc everybody can have his opinion and if you still don't like it..... stop watching F1 (thats my opinion)

Smokes

Wasn't the car length increase Dictated by 50:50% mass split rule and the fact that a longer floor will generate more DF

Just_a_fan

Capharol wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Capharol wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 00:31

okay that was your statement, standing oposite of the general thoughts (let say 85%-90% of the F1 fans) about the 2021 ruling
So that's a "no" on the evidence then.

I guess you'll downvote this post too... :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Capharol

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 15:59
Capharol wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

So that's a "no" on the evidence then.

I guess you'll downvote this post too... :roll:
the evidence is right in front of you so it's certainly not a "no"

godlameroso

So we're going back to late 2016 levels of performance. The racing was ok, certainly no worse than today. With cars getting even heavier, and compromised aero yes I expect they will go slower. 3 seconds? Well they said that this year's cars would lose a chunk of time. They're faster than ever, that likely won't happen with the new regulations. Likely 2 seconds slower than they are now, I just hope it makes the racing closer or at least shakes up the grid.
Saishū kōnā

F1Krof

godlameroso wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 18:54
So we're going back to late 2016 levels of performance. The racing was ok, certainly no worse than today. With cars getting even heavier, and compromised aero yes I expect they will go slower. 3 seconds? Well they said that this year's cars would lose a chunk of time. They're faster than ever, that likely won't happen with the new regulations. Likely 2 seconds slower than they are now, I just hope it makes the racing closer or at least shakes up the grid.
See it won't. For various reasons, one being that current top teams are already way ahead in the 21' spec development. Second, the worst part is that they'll see it didn't work as they would have hoped (and it wont mark my words), then they would load on further controls, we'll have more standardized parts, more aero restrictions, more budget controls, until they will practically homogenize all the cars... which will come to my initial point of that being F1 will become just like some motorsport series rather than F1 being F1.

It always was like this, always and ever, even more so. They are trying to make monkey act like a duck is what is going on with these bullshit rules.
Wroom wroom

godlameroso

Maybe the rule makers think people like gimmicks. The rules also say the wheel hub caps have to have an LED indicator, probably to show viewers tire life.
Saishū kōnā

Tim.Wright

F1Krof wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 19:26
See it won't. For various reasons, one being that current top teams are already way ahead in the 21' spec development. Second, the worst part is that they'll see it didn't work as they would have hoped (and it wont mark my words), then they would load on further controls, we'll have more standardized parts, more aero restrictions, more budget controls, until they will practically homogenize all the cars... which will come to my initial point of that being F1 will become just like some motorsport series rather than F1 being F1.

It always was like this, always and ever, even more so. They are trying to make monkey act like a duck is what is going on with these bullshit rules.
It's a crying shame that they didn't involve you in the development of the regs from the start...
Not the engineer at Force India

F1Krof

djos wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 04:27
F1Krof wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 22:24
This is bullshit!
I think you summed up your own post rather well! =D>
Wow you are so clever! You actually deleted all the other words and only left the 'This is bullshit!' part. Genius!

This just shows your debating culture. You calling other opinions 'bullshit' on a debate is not cool. If you're so smart as to call somebody's opinion bullshit, at least write it with your own words.
Wroom wroom

F1Krof

Tim.Wright wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 19:41
F1Krof wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 19:26

It's a crying shame that they didn't involve you in the development of the regs from the start...
Well since you're acting like you have a monopoly on saying what's right and wrong, they might as well as have me involved!
Wroom wroom