2019 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 15-17 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2019 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 15-17 November

turbof1 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 09:25
But in Hamilton's case, they had to wait for his explanation. And since he had to go through the podium ceremony, press conference and post race interviews, the stewards had to wait.
Hamilton claimed responsibility for the shunt with Albon as soon as he got out of the car. As soon as he publicly accepted responsibility, they just had to say "what punishment do we give him?" A matter of moments, if they had wanted to do it.

But these events are very structured and maybe there was something else going on at that moment that prevented the stewards doing that quick-response action.

A shame for Sainz not to get on the podium but at least him and his team got the correct points in the end.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Vettel165 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 10:27
Both were guilty. Charles and Seb. Charles being an jerk pushing Seb so to the right while having tons of space to the left.
Which is exactly what Vettel does in these situation - see Mexico this year, for example. Goes around, comes around.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

henry

The unlapping procedure under the safety car seems unnecessarily complex. They could sort them into the two groups if the safety car simply led the cars on the lead lap through the pits and left the lapped cars on the circuit. This would save at least one lap under the safety car and give one more lap of racing.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Wass85

henry wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 11:33
The unlapping procedure under the safety car seems unnecessarily complex. They could sort them into the two groups if the safety car simply led the cars on the lead lap through the pits and left the lapped cars on the circuit. This would save at least one lap under the safety car and give one more lap of racing.
Or just simply let them drop back to their position instead of having to catch the pack up for a few laps.

Vettel165

Both are crazy drivers in some way Seb and Charles. Charles lucky that he didnt end up his race already at the start with Norris and Seb lucky that he didnt end his mexico gp in first Lap. They should improve because sometimes they cant think right in the heat. And that Japan... To many mistakes by both drivers.

turbof1

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 11:22
turbof1 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 09:25
But in Hamilton's case, they had to wait for his explanation. And since he had to go through the podium ceremony, press conference and post race interviews, the stewards had to wait.
Hamilton claimed responsibility for the shunt with Albon as soon as he got out of the car. As soon as he publicly accepted responsibility, they just had to say "what punishment do we give him?" A matter of moments, if they had wanted to do it.

But these events are very structured and maybe there was something else going on at that moment that prevented the stewards doing that quick-response action.

A shame for Sainz not to get on the podium but at least him and his team got the correct points in the end.
That's the thing: these things are structured and perhaps you can even say stuck in protocol. I really don't think the stewards are to blame here. If it was something like Verstappen in Austin, then it would be a different matter. That really took way too long.
#AeroFrodo

Wass85

The question is could Lewis have held Max off had he not been held up by Leclerc after the first stops?

turbof1

Wass85 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 11:58
The question is could Lewis have held Max off had he not been held up by Leclerc after the first stops?
Maybe if he had another round around the circuit. What I noticed was that Verstappen came from several car lengths behind and just closed the gap to Hamilton on the main straight. Even though DRS was at play for Verstappen, Hamilton really looked extremely slow on the straight. Maybe if he had more space and time to widen the gap further, but I do think the chance would still be quite significant Verstappen could have gotten him.
#AeroFrodo

Wass85

turbof1 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 12:03
Wass85 wrote:
Maybe if he had another round around the circuit. What I noticed was that Verstappen came from several car lengths behind and just closed the gap to Hamilton on the main straight. Even though DRS was at play for Verstappen, Hamilton really looked extremely slow on the straight. Maybe if he had more space and time to widen the gap further, but I do think the chance would still be quite significant Verstappen could have gotten him.
Yeah I noticed that, with Verstappen having a compromised line going in to the last corner I thought Lewis would comfortably hold the lead. I'm frustrated with his defending though but I'm sure Verstappen would have passed Hamilton anyway in the next DRS zone had he held him off in to the first corner.

izzy

turbof1 wrote:
what happened was that the mode they gave him to actually make the undercut had used all the battery, so he didn't have any left to defend up the hill, that's what made it so easy for Max. Lewis complained a bit about this on the radio

sosic2121

Wass85 wrote:
Maybe if Lewis chose to just follow Leclerc overtake him on the main straight, he would have slipstream, DRS and probably more battery to defend later. Fighting slowed them both and brought Max closer then he should be. On the other hand, what Williams did was really awful.

But it’s easy to be smart now...

Wass85

izzy wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 12:43
turbof1 wrote:
what happened was that the mode they gave him to actually make the undercut had used all the battery, so he didn't have any left to defend up the hill, that's what made it so easy for Max. Lewis complained a bit about this on the radio
That's another strategic error from Mercedes, surely they should have boxed a couple of laps later to ensure they cleared Leclerc.

Capharol

for those who complained it took to long .......
In Kvyat’s case the stewards decided they did not need to hear from the drivers involved in the incident before issuing a penalty. However Hamilton and Albon were summoned over their collision. This meant the decision could not be made before the podium ceremony.
FIA race director Michael Masi said the stewards decided the Hamilton-Albon collision needed to be investigated after the race. “With everything that had happened in that last period of the race, and obviously a very late call for the Safety Car to come in, it was something that they determined because it was so close they were going to do a post-race investigation.”
https://www.racefans.net/2019/11/18/why ... he-podium/

my advice to those who complained is..... try to learn the mechanics of decissionmaking in F1 before you starting to complain

jumpingfish

Ferrari drivers lead on S1 and S3. 8)

Capharol

jumpingfish wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 13:45
Ferrari drivers lead on S1 and S3. 8)

https://i.imgur.com/Spb9pus.jpg
its not about the lead.... its about the GAP ..... that are two different things

at Monza or Spa the gap was somewhere around 0.4- 0.7s on the straight sector, now it is only 0.1-0.3s

and several ppl explained that to you aswell, but you don't wanna see it somehow .....