2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McMika98

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Marti_EF3 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 19:32
Any plans of using Albon's car to fit a Spec 5 or 4.x to test it before the race?? It could be useful, and Albon isn't fighting for anything. And anyway he should be able to reach 6th at least
Nope. They can do that in post season testing. Im expecting Albon to take pole and solid win in Abu Dhabi, a circuit he knows very well. In all seriousness, i dont think Redbull Honda will be as competitive as in Brazil where the altitude helped a lot.
Honda should make two types of turbo nexy year, small and large for high and low altitude races.

Marti_EF3

McMika98 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 20:04
Marti_EF3 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 19:32
Any plans of using Albon's car to fit a Spec 5 or 4.x to test it before the race?? It could be useful, and Albon isn't fighting for anything. And anyway he should be able to reach 6th at least
Nope. They can do that in post season testing. Im expecting Albon to take pole and solid win in Abu Dhabi, a circuit he knows very well. In all seriousness, i dont think Redbull Honda will be as competitive as in Brazil where the altitude helped a lot.
Honda should make two types of turbo nexy year, small and large for high and low altitude races.
I think that in post GP tests they are only allowed to use homologated engines that have been used on 2019 season. That's why I say it

godlameroso

Glad that RB is showing how much this is a team game. Sure the driver in the spotlight always thanks the team, but it's so often said, that we only notice when they don't thank the team and fans. Good on Horner to give credit where credit is due.
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

verstappen vs hamilton - both overtakes. Includes record timed pitstop, outlap, overtake lec & ham and another overtake on ham after SC

https://streamable.com/obawj

Couple of things I noticed:
verstappen presses overtake button imedately after overtaking leclerc. 4 green lights light up on the left hand side steering wheel and free-load system is activated at the same time, easily heard by the sudden sound volume and pitch increase. I'd say he did that most likely to defend against leclerc up the hill, but instead he found himself right behind hamilton who had drained his battery a few laps earlier closing up on max. Hamilton is clearly caught completely off-guard, not expecting an attack from so far back and doesn't even defend the inside line.

At the restart, notice how verstappen perfectly reads hamilton at the exact moment of the restart. Even before hamilton completely straightens out the car, verstappen already has foot to the floor. He even catches up too fast and has to lift mid straight to avoid overtaking before the safety car line (I think it's the start/finish line in this track?).

Wass85

Juzh wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 22:11
verstappen vs hamilton - both overtakes. Includes record timed pitstop, outlap, overtake lec & ham and another overtake on ham after SC

Couple of things I noticed:
verstappen presses overtake button imedately after overtaking leclerc. 4 green lights light up on the left hand side steering wheel and free-load system is activated at the same time, easily heard by the sudden sound volume and pitch increase. I'd say he did that most likely to defend against leclerc up the hill, but instead he found himself right behind hamilton who had drained his battery a few laps earlier closing up on max. Hamilton is clearly caught completely off-guard, not expecting an attack from so far back and doesn't even defend the inside line.

At the restart, notice how verstappen perfectly reads hamilton at the exact moment of the restart. Even before hamilton completely straightens out the car, verstappen already has foot to the floor. He even catches up too fast and has to lift mid straight to avoid overtaking before the safety car line (I think it's the start/finish line in this track?).

Yeah thanks, backed up my points on the race thread.

Hamilton defended poorly with the first overtake, way too little too late there.
He also went way too early at the restart and Max anticipated it brilliantly. The Dutchman absolutely blitzed his restart, letting Albon get beside him before nailing it to prevent him getting the tow, his race craft yesterday was perfect.

Wass85

Any chance you can post the onboard footage from Lewis at the restart? After getting passed by Max he made an attempt at passing him back around the outside at turn 4 before backing out, I thought he'd made it stick at first.

TNTHead

Juzh wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 22:11

Thanks, very much appreciated. Apart from the thrilling drive by Max I also noticed the very accurate coaching of his engineer: 'watch out for Kubica' and 'just make sure you don't pass him before the finish line'.

Nice seeing the team at its best.

dans79

Wass85 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 22:22
Hamilton defended poorly with the first overtake, way too little too late there.
What exactly do you think he should have done with a depleted battery, and thus substantially reduced power/top speed?

IMO, The speed delta was huge and their was nothing Lewis could have done that wasn't illegal.
197 104 103 7

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 19:00
RBR will be as competitive in Abu Dhabi as they have been in recent races. If we look at the circuit characteristics it is mostly slow to mid speed corners in sector 3, Mercedes will likely be untouchable in race pace, but it will be close in qualifying. If you start ahead of the Mercedes you have a better chance of holding it off than if you let it get in clean air.

Being a night race, I think Ferrari will be competitive as they don't have to deal with the sun making track temperatures inconsistent.
It's a longer track at 5.5 Km ( a mile longer or 1.2Km). All of that extra length is actually straight. At sea level. In quali the extra length puts a dependence on MGU-H power generation. I don't know who will have the edge. Guess I'll have to watch !

Brake Horse Power

If they win the last one than Helmut Marko was almost right with his 5 race wins this season! At least potential was there

diffuser

Brake Horse Power wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 00:43
If they win the last one than Helmut Marko was almost right with his 5 race wins this season! At least potential was there
I thought he said 4 races but Agreed.

godlameroso

3 out of 5 so far, and 3 races within spitting distance. It has been a decent season and they can be even better next year.
Saishū kōnā

Manoah2u

The Honda engine is a huge step forward, that much can't be denied.

Not to take away anything from Max, Albon and Gasly, i mean dear lord i was absolutely amazed by what he did, and really feel quite sad for him now that he's not getting the RB seat.
I honestly didn't think Gasly had it in him but wow, i am still baffled about his performance. Even though luck was involved, in the end, he deserved that 2nd spot and i couldn't be happier that he managed to stay ahead of Hamilton, that final sprint was absolutely amazing.

But, again, that is only possible due to the fact the Honda engine was capable there. NO WAY the Renault would have done that.
I was very surprised to see just how good that Honda engine kept up, and with no DRS and no slipstream they were side-by-side just as fast.

It's obvious the RB is ahead of the TR, but the RB right now was very much on par with the Merc, and it makes me indeed wonder what we're gonna get served for 2020 with.
Let it be still clear this was meant as a transition year and they've managed to do so much better than expected.

It's too bad the 5 wins are not possible anymore, but 3 wins under the belt with a potential 4th coming up, is very very impressive.

It could have been a RB 1-2 easily. Still very happy to see a Honda 1-2.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

godlameroso

Manoah2u wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 01:49
The Honda engine is a huge step forward, that much can't be denied.

Not to take away anything from Max, Albon and Gasly, i mean dear lord i was absolutely amazed by what he did, and really feel quite sad for him now that he's not getting the RB seat.
I honestly didn't think Gasly had it in him but wow, i am still baffled about his performance. Even though luck was involved, in the end, he deserved that 2nd spot and i couldn't be happier that he managed to stay ahead of Hamilton, that final sprint was absolutely amazing.

But, again, that is only possible due to the fact the Honda engine was capable there. NO WAY the Renault would have done that.
I was very surprised to see just how good that Honda engine kept up, and with no DRS and no slipstream they were side-by-side just as fast.

It's obvious the RB is ahead of the TR, but the RB right now was very much on par with the Merc, and it makes me indeed wonder what we're gonna get served for 2020 with.
Let it be still clear this was meant as a transition year and they've managed to do so much better than expected.

It's too bad the 5 wins are not possible anymore, but 3 wins under the belt with a potential 4th coming up, is very very impressive.

It could have been a RB 1-2 easily. Still very happy to see a Honda 1-2.
I think Hamilton couldn't pass Gasly because Mercedes chassis has more downforce and drag.
Saishū kōnā

Bill

No Mercedes pu doesn't work as well as the Honda at high altitude therefore they have less power James Allison attested to that