General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
IvailoStefanovBG

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Rumors that Honda will stay after 2020. Marko flawn to Japan for negotiations after Brazil GP. Dutch press...

Bill

Is that really a romour Honda already said that they want to win multiple world championships with Rbr you can't do that when you out of f1 . They had a 10 year contract with Mclaren so it was always a long term project

shingles

lio007 wrote:Tost mentioned in an AMuS interview that Honda made a big jump in performance having Spec4 in combination with the new fuel...

I must admit, I never thought Honda can turn it around like that in 2019...never ever.
That's why I'm so impressed with their achievemnts and improvements....but I think the whole environment with RB pushing each other has really motivated it's hard working staff to some extent.
Communication and operation s seem to be very smooth (at least from the outside). They don't act like two seperate parties, but like a nice collaboration. Feel honored to witness this journey!
Given the time and commitment from SR leadership and importantly the right partnership, I think they were always going to get it done. If you follow Honda in other racing series, they eventually win and win big. The question seems to be that Honda SR leadership are very conservative financially and at signs of economic downturn they have a tendency of pulling out of a series. My hope is that they now realize or have learned that sure you can leave, but trying to get back in it and win again is very very hard.

IvailoStefanovBG

Bill wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 14:24
Is that really a romour Honda already said that they want to win multiple world championships with Rbr you can't do that when you out of f1 . They had a 10 year contract with Mclaren so it was always a long term project
Just wanted to say there is nothing official yet and yes this will be expected and logical decision from Honda.

Big Tea

I wonder if Honda know how much the rest of the world is behind them? Must be a Japan thing. Everyone watching the rugby world cup were behind Japan too :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Hino

New deal between Honda and Red Bull Racing in the making
The current contract expires at the end of next year off, but sources report the paddock find a deal to also supply engines in 2021 is in the works. In Abu Dhabi, where two weeks is held the last race of the season, the Japanese news would bring out. Helmut Marko, Sports Director of Red Bull Racing, flew Sunday from Sao Paulo to Japan to the Honda top the last wrinkles smooth out.

Good news

An extension of the cooperation is especially good news for Red Bull Racing. An early announcement of the departure of Honda from Formula 1 would mean that Max Verstappen his title ambitions could bury 2020. Honda would in that situation, put the money tap running and the development on the back burner. For Verstappen would perhaps also have to sign in 2021 to move to another team. Which need much less as Honda continues in F1.
https://www.limburger.nl/cnt/dmf2019111 ... in-de-maak

Dutch newspaper, I don't know how reliable this source is? Maybe Wouter or other Dutch members can comment on this source?

Capharol

Hino wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 21:02
The current contract expires at the end of next year off, but sources report the paddock find a deal to also supply engines in 2021 is in the works. In Abu Dhabi, where two weeks is held the last race of the season, the Japanese news would bring out. Helmut Marko, Sports Director of Red Bull Racing, flew Sunday from Sao Paulo to Japan to the Honda top the last wrinkles smooth out.

Good news

An extension of the cooperation is especially good news for Red Bull Racing. An early announcement of the departure of Honda from Formula 1 would mean that Max Verstappen his title ambitions could bury 2020. Honda would in that situation, put the money tap running and the development on the back burner. For Verstappen would perhaps also have to sign in 2021 to move to another team. Which need much less as Honda continues in F1.

Dutch newspaper, I don't know how reliable this source is? Maybe Wouter or other Dutch members can comment on this source?
not quiet familiar ith this newspaper but its more or less a local newspaper in the province Limburg (were Max has lived) so not sure how reliable it is but i guess they are not printng BS (that takes over the biggest newspaper of Netherlands, called Telegraaf)

the write there are intensions of extending the deal because they [Honda] has been convinced by the Brazil win, and they think they have a change of being in the mix for the WDC with Max.
The current contract expires at the end of next year, but sources in the paddock know that a deal to deliver engines in 2021 is also in the works. In Abu Dhabi, where the last race of the season will be held in two weeks, the Japanese would like to bring out news.

Wouter

Hino wrote:

@Hino, the Dutch newspaper "De Limburger" is a reliable regional newspaper.

However, "New deal between Honda and Red Bull Racing in the making", that is their own conclusion, because that is still waiting for everyone.

It is true that Helmut Marko flew from Brazil to Japan on Sunday. (Confirmed by multiple sources)
The German AMuS already reported last week that an agreement in principle has been concluded, but that details still need to be discussed this week.
Honda would like to communicate their decision in Abu Dhabi. Wait and see what that will be, but the sounds are positive.
The Power of Dreams!

Marti_EF3

That would be great news! But only extended one year more? I'd love to see a long term agreement 😁

Hino

Wouter wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 21:31
Hino wrote:

@Hino, the Dutch newspaper "De Limburger" is a reliable regional newspaper.

However, "New deal between Honda and Red Bull Racing in the making", that is their own conclusion, because that is still waiting for everyone.

It is true that Helmut Marko flew from Brazil to Japan on Sunday. (Confirmed by multiple sources)
The German AMuS already reported last week that an agreement in principle has been concluded, but that details still need to be discussed this week.
Honda would like to communicate their decision in Abu Dhabi. Wait and see what that will be, but the sounds are positive.
That "De Limburger" source was the first bit of news to me about anything relating to extending the Red Bull Honda partnership, wasn't aware of AMuS report. Just time to sit back and wait til Abu Dhabi.

Jambier

I don't get all those articles:

- Of course Honda will stay in F1, after all this year of struggling, it would make absolutely no sense to leave.

- Of course, they will stay with RBR. Because RBR is very happy, because it works well, and because RBR can't have another engine anyway, and Honda can't have another top team in anyway

So RBR and Honda destiny in F1 are 100% linked

Noetiepoerker26

Hino wrote:

I would not call 'The Limburger' very reliable imo. My parents have a subscription on it so from time to time I read it, and I find that the F1-related articles written by Ivo op den Camp are generally very Max biased. As Wouter points out the article does not show clear evidence/arguments of a renewed deal, it is just the conclusion they draw.
Two stroke: a little more than half the power, twice as often.

Capharol

Noetiepoerker26 wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 16:40
Hino wrote:

I would not call 'The Limburger' very reliable imo. My parents have a subscription on it so from time to time I read it, and I find that the F1-related articles written by Ivo op den Camp are generally very Max biased. As Wouter points out the article does not show clear evidence/arguments of a renewed deal, it is just the conclusion they draw.
as did another newspaper did already aswell...
let us be aware that nothing is official as long as the involved parties confirmed it

izzy

This article https://www.pitpass.com/66296/Costs-the ... -F1-future

is speculation, but:
"We have started to calculate how much it will cost with the future regulations," says Honda's F1 managing director, Masashi Yamamoto, according to Motorsport.com.

"We have noticed that it's a very tough for all the car manufacturers at the moment," he continued, "because of the environment change for electrification. So, we are summing up the development cost and having discussions internally."
"It's positive to have good results," he said. "But more important is a balance with the cost. We have to put lots of budget to accelerate our development to catch up the top runners. And now we are planning how to maintain current condition and reducing the cost at the same time."
well it's what Mercedes found isn't it? That it costs a lot less to have an F1 team than than it does to supply engines, because of prize money and sponsorship. Not to mention the hugely better promotion value

Jambier

izzy wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 16:18
This article https://www.pitpass.com/66296/Costs-the ... -F1-future

is speculation, but:
"We have started to calculate how much it will cost with the future regulations," says Honda's F1 managing director, Masashi Yamamoto, according to Motorsport.com.

"We have noticed that it's a very tough for all the car manufacturers at the moment," he continued, "because of the environment change for electrification. So, we are summing up the development cost and having discussions internally."
"It's positive to have good results," he said. "But more important is a balance with the cost. We have to put lots of budget to accelerate our development to catch up the top runners. And now we are planning how to maintain current condition and reducing the cost at the same time."
well it's what Mercedes found isn't it? That it costs a lot less to have an F1 team than than it does to supply engines, because of prize money and sponsorship. Not to mention the hugely better promotion value
Yeah I was thinking the same

- Honda is using a huge budget with very low promotion. We are at the firsts win so we speak about Honda, but next what ? Honda's name will barely be visible on the RBR and nobody will speak about it :(

- In addition, I think they are providing RB for free.

So I can understand Honda's direction thinking that it may be too expensive.

I good move could be to buy back... Mercedes, as they are many rumors about them leaving F1