[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jjn9128

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

variante wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 20:24
jjn9128 wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 17:50
What are the rules next year? Carrying on the same before adopting 2021 F1 the year after?
What do you think of 2021 rules applied to MVRC?
We talked a little about rules a few weeks ago. I said that i would probably adopt 2021 rules right away, so we could produce 2021 cars before anyone else and draw some attention to this challenge.
But it's not granted that such rules are simple enough or interesting enough or who knows what...
The actual rules as they appear in article 3 I think is too far, but using the bodywork volumes, why not! Maybe there need to be some rules to tie in a little closer to F1 like limiting the number of elements in the wing volumes...
Last edited by jjn9128 on 22 Nov 2019, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Koldskaal

And once again:
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

maunde

jjn9128 wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 20:58
variante wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 20:24
jjn9128 wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 17:50
What are the rules next year? Carrying on the same before adopting 2021 F1 the year after?
What do you think of 2021 rules applied to MVRC?
We talked a little about rules a few weeks ago. I said that i would probably adopt 2021 rules right away, so we could produce 2021 cars before anyone else and draw some attention to this challenge.
But it's not granted that such rules are simple enough or interesting enough or who knows what...
The actual rules as they appear in article 3 I think is too far, but using the bodywork volumes, why not! Maybe there need to be some rules to tie in a little closer to F1 like limiting the number of elements in the wing volumes...
This is an excellent idea - I would be very interested in a challenge with this style of rules (i.e 2021 volumes)
A kiwi looking to fly like McLaren.

CAEdevice

Hi, I am playing with MFlow. Could someone tell me if the wheelbase and wheel diameter are automatically detected or are constrained to the template?

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 14:41
Hi, I am playing with MFlow. Could someone tell me if the wheelbase and wheel diameter are automatically detected or are constrained to the template?
In the MVRC templates these settings are fixed. You can try the Car_Coarse template.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 16:06
CAEdevice wrote:
In the MVRC templates these settings are fixed. You can try the Car_Coarse template.
Ok thanks. In that case, the fact that the rubber has some camber angle and it is not perfectly circular (deformed), can be a problem?

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 16:15
LVDH wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 16:06
CAEdevice wrote:
Ok thanks. In that case, the fact that the rubber has some camber angle and it is not perfectly circular (deformed), can be a problem?
Nope

machin

I am sure that Andre won't mind me sharing the fact that there are no scrutineering penalties for the chamiopnship contenders.... so it's going to be a straight fight for the win at the weekend....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

maunde

machin wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 14:49
I am sure that Andre won't mind me sharing the fact that there are no scrutineering penalties for the chamiopnship contenders.... so it's going to be a straight fight for the win at the weekend....
What do you mean by scrutineering?

etsmc

maunde wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 01:36
machin wrote:
The MVRC team check each and every car before each race against the rules to see if they comply or not, if they do not comply then there is normally the first warning and any repeat offences are hit with a penalty, I can't remember how the penalty is worked out but its a calculated amount of time added to your result.

maunde

etsmc wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 04:53
maunde wrote:
machin wrote:
The MVRC team check each and every car before each race against the rules to see if they comply or not, if they do not comply then there is normally the first warning and any repeat offences are hit with a penalty, I can't remember how the penalty is worked out but its a calculated amount of time added to your result.
That makes sense - just like normal scrutineering.

Is there any reason you cant automate this?

CAEdevice

maunde wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 05:25
etsmc wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 04:53
maunde wrote:

That makes sense - just like normal scrutineering.

Is there any reason you cant automate this?
The scrutineering process has been optimised year after year, now the rulebook is mostly based on volumes that allow a quick check. Also thickness can be visually checked with many stl utilities (I use MeshLab).

A completely automated process would require a closer interaction with the geometry processor (CAD, Paraview, OpenFOAM modules, ... ): it would be easy with native cad format and cad APIs (or maybe with step format), or with very good quality stl files, but this is not granted.

LVDH

There is actually some automated scrutineering. I do not want to get too deep into this. Best thing is for the teams to simply stick to the rules. Most have problems with 8.1. Not sure why, as it is pretty simple to check. Here you can find some results from this process:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/category/scrutineering/

LVDH

So here are the results of this process:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/scrutineer ... rina-2019/
Like I wrote, congratulations to Pure Power =D> =D> =D> . I think he needs to employ some regulations guy next year.

Ft5fTL

LVDH wrote:
28 Nov 2019, 16:17
So here are the results of this process:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/scrutineer ... rina-2019/
Like I wrote, congratulations to Pure Power =D> =D> =D> . I think he needs to employ some regulations guy next year.
Well at least i'm first on that one :D The thing is, Fusion 360 doesn't open the templates as where should it be and i have no clue how to fix it.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing