McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
M840TR

Re: McLaren MCL34

McLaren is the only team in the pit lane still developing the 2019 car. The rear brake ducts are new. "It's an update, nothing radically new," says team boss Andreas Seidl. "Maybe we can do something in principle for the 2020 car."

Seidl attributes the strong performance in the qualification to two points: "First, our drivers. They're doing a really good job on Saturday. Second, the car. We somehow manage to get the maximum out of our package with fresh tyres". McLaren didn't take the same step in the race as in qualifying. "The speed has been the same since the middle of the year. We don't have a real problem in the race. Renault is just strong. Maybe they should ask themselves why things aren't going as well in qualifying."

Lando Norris says: "The fresh tyres in qualifying cover the weaknesses that are still in the car. We could now sacrifice some speed for one lap for the race with our lead in the World Championship, but we shouldn't go so far as to suddenly stand behind Renault on Saturday. We have to be smart about that."

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... lien-2019/

the EDGE

Holm86 wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 11:36
the EDGE wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 22:27
hecan wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 21:07

This is the first time I have read that 2020 wheels will have covers. Where did you get this info from?
Various sources but it’s on here at 2’15

https://youtu.be/hk-JKrs0rrc
It's not 2020, the new regulations are for 2021
I assumed 2020 was a typo as the original comment I made was about the 18” wheels being introduced in ‘21

SmallSoldier

Cool angle of the bargeboards:

@alexsala

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f1rules

Nice outwash protecting the floor from frontwheel wake

f1rules

according to fabrega they tested a updated fw

if thats why they ran the fence i dont know

charliesmithhd

f1rules wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 20:14
according to fabrega they tested a updated fw
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKh_lZoXUAE ... ame=medium

if thats why they ran the fence i dont know

https://media-cdn.mclaren.com/media/ima ... 4I9516.jpg
top flap adjuster is different as well

Dipesh1995

Lots of nicely attached flowvis

AMG.Tzan

Curious to see what they'll bring for 2020 with James Key in there! A new design philosophy or just an evolution of 2019?? Bringing updates even now indicates the latter i would say!

This year was a big step forward for them..hopefully they can replicate that in 2020 and get a bit closer to the top 3 but i don't think so! Waiting for 2021 would be a better bet... :wink:

Goal for 2020 must be: get more points than 2014! =D>
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

f1rules

enhanced and zoomed a bit

about next year, i think a lot of effort will go into the front part, suspension geometry, dampers, frontwing bargeboard area etc. like Key mentioned, the front has been a bit weak, so i think thats their focus, the rest just "follows" with. On top of that, integration optimization based on one more year of learnings.

Holm86

AMG.Tzan wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 00:57
Curious to see what they'll bring for 2020 with James Key in there! A new design philosophy or just an evolution of 2019?? Bringing updates even now indicates the latter i would say!

This year was a big step forward for them..hopefully they can replicate that in 2020 and get a bit closer to the top 3 but i don't think so! Waiting for 2021 would be a better bet... :wink:

Goal for 2020 must be: get more points than 2014! =D>
"McLaren’s Andreas Seidl says the team will be making big changes in terms of car concept for their 2020 challenger as they hope to move up the grid."

https://formulaspy.com/f1/seidl-big-cha ... 2020-65715

f1rules

maybe a nosecone change? back to their old solution which most teams are using now just with a cape added ala ferrari or maybe a merc style, did key not introdue that at TR? The frontwheel suspension attachment im sure will be the one tested earlier this year

bauc

f1rules wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 16:30
maybe a nosecone change? back to their old solution which most teams are using now just with a cape added ala ferrari or maybe a merc style, did key not introdue that at TR? The frontwheel suspension attachment im sure will be the one tested earlier this year
I'm expecting revised front suspension and nosecone as well, which will also lead to changes to the bageboards area and floor, so overall I expect in general same concept but different realization
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ground Effect

Do we think current front wing will be maintained?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Xero

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 20:23
Do we think current front wing will be maintained?
Going by the wording I would suggest it will be different, my guess, towards Red Bull/Mercedes with a more loaded outboard. McLaren will be chasing more peak downforce at the front end, let's just hope they don't compromise it too much with added drag. The differences may be more subtle than we expect though.

SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:Do we think current front wing will be maintained?
That probably will be the key question they are trying to answer right now... Beyond Mercedes and Red Bull, teams like Haas and Renault also had what could be considered an outboard concept instead of the inboard Mclaren used and they weren’t faster because of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk