2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jackles-UK

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

At the end of last season I said that my goal for 2019 was not for an unrealistic bounce back to titles but to see the team reach Q3 fairly consistently with a steady stream of points on race days. I’m delighted to say that the team have bettered my wish by absolutely decimating the midfield across the year despite a brand new design concept, two new drivers and a whole new management team.

Carlos, all things considered, gets my vote as driver of the season, narrowly pipping Hamilton & Verstappen and Lando has had a solid first year with lots of positives to build on for 2020 despite an almost inconceivable run of bad luck. Seidl appears to have made an immediate impression and commercially the team appears to be in the strongest position it’s been since the Vodafone days.

Operationally there needs to be some improvement and reliability is still an issue as well, particularly the hydraulic and gearbox systems which have plagued them with retirements for a decade now. All in all though it’s an immense improvement on recent years, here’s hoping they can build on that for 2020.

f1rules

It seem magnussens performance engineer through three years at haas will be landos new one, José Manuel Lopez. article in danish media

Ground Effect

Xero wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 00:49
I guess now is as good a time as any to reflect on the season as a whole.

Before the season started I think we all hoped (and expected) decent progress to be made. Finishing 4th in the constructors seemed like a realistic target, with Renault's 122 points from 2018 setting a good benchmark to reach. Minus a minority expecting too much too quick, it felt like that would be good step towards the front.

With pre-season suggesting it would be a challenge due to the single lap pace Haas showed, the race stints looked decent. Despite the vast majority of the media ignoring that data, and with some even pinning them to be 2nd last, it was clear we were in the mix of it.

Despite a difficult opening Australian GP the team bounced back at Bahrain with some genuine pace. We had some horrible luck with retirements, and more difficulties at the Chinese GP highlighting the cars weaknesses. But again we bounced back at Baku, showing just how efficient the aero package had become, giving the team an excellent result, and one that would pave the way for the start of the European season. They began to get on top of the the cars front end issues, and up until the break strung together a fantastic run of results. A couple of forgettable races at Spa and Monza after the break were quickly put behind us at Russia and Japan with some real exciting pace that allowed us to mix it with the boys at the front, however brief it was. The team were rewarded for their efforts with an unthinkable podium finish, the cherry on top of a wonderful season.

So they've ended the season with 145 points, landing them 4th in the constructors, 6th in the drivers with Carlos, and a trophy to boot. Could not be any happier with the season as a whole, and it certainly exceeded all my expectations! It's been such a pleasure to see the team grow with an incredible chemistry that will undoubtedly breed hunger, drive and success moving forward. Full credit to Zak for making the changes needed, it's obvious to see they're working, and in Seidl we have a top man steering the ship.

So what do we think for next season? There's still a fairly large gap to the front guys, and I think it's fair to say we haven't cleared the midfield yet. I guess the natural step would be to fall somewhere in that gap, and perhaps pick up a couple of podiums next year when the chances arrive? If we're consistently ahead of the midfield in that gap we should smash past the 200 point barrier, so perhaps that's a sensible target. At certain races where it suits the car (whatever that may be) perhaps mix it with the front runners more often and get them looking over their shoulder? I guess that's my hope for next season, to have the front 3 say "we need to keep one eye on the McLarens."
Find me a better McLaren 2019 F1 season review than this, I’ll wait :wink: . Very well written. =D>
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Andres125sx

ispano6 wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 20:54
Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 20:34
The Sleeping Giant is slowly starting to wake. Secured 4th Place with almost 50 points from the 5th team and Carlos beat both Albon that had a superior car and Gasly for the 6th place. Now let's see if the new aerodynamic team is a team of wizards as they say. Let's see how fast can we close that gap.
Sainz got super lucky with Stroll taking out Gasly, and Albon should have been clear of Sainz by plenty if it weren't for Hamilton taking him out in Brazil.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you really are a veteran, how sad reading this from a veteran, but I guess bias is not related to experience. Sainz has lost a lot of points too due to external reasons, but even so he managed to beat 2 drivers who drove a much much better car half season.

How can a veteran who follow McLaren thread not be happy with this perfomance from a McLaren driver is beyond me sincerely :?:

Andres125sx

Xero wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 00:49
I guess now is as good a time as any to reflect on the season as a whole.

Before the season started I think we all hoped (and expected) decent progress to be made. Finishing 4th in the constructors seemed like a realistic target, with Renault's 122 points from 2018 setting a good benchmark to reach. Minus a minority expecting too much too quick, it felt like that would be good step towards the front.

With pre-season suggesting it would be a challenge due to the single lap pace Haas showed, the race stints looked decent. Despite the vast majority of the media ignoring that data, and with some even pinning them to be 2nd last, it was clear we were in the mix of it.

Despite a difficult opening Australian GP the team bounced back at Bahrain with some genuine pace. We had some horrible luck with retirements, and more difficulties at the Chinese GP highlighting the cars weaknesses. But again we bounced back at Baku, showing just how efficient the aero package had become, giving the team an excellent result, and one that would pave the way for the start of the European season. They began to get on top of the the cars front end issues, and up until the break strung together a fantastic run of results. A couple of forgettable races at Spa and Monza after the break were quickly put behind us at Russia and Japan with some real exciting pace that allowed us to mix it with the boys at the front, however brief it was. The team were rewarded for their efforts with an unthinkable podium finish, the cherry on top of a wonderful season.

So they've ended the season with 145 points, landing them 4th in the constructors, 6th in the drivers with Carlos, and a trophy to boot. Could not be any happier with the season as a whole, and it certainly exceeded all my expectations! It's been such a pleasure to see the team grow with an incredible chemistry that will undoubtedly breed hunger, drive and success moving forward. Full credit to Zak for making the changes needed, it's obvious to see they're working, and in Seidl we have a top man steering the ship.

So what do we think for next season? There's still a fairly large gap to the front guys, and I think it's fair to say we haven't cleared the midfield yet. I guess the natural step would be to fall somewhere in that gap, and perhaps pick up a couple of podiums next year when the chances arrive? If we're consistently ahead of the midfield in that gap we should smash past the 200 point barrier, so perhaps that's a sensible target. At certain races where it suits the car (whatever that may be) perhaps mix it with the front runners more often and get them looking over their shoulder? I guess that's my hope for next season, to have the front 3 say "we need to keep one eye on the McLarens."
Great post! =D>

Also, last phrase is perfect about 2020 hopes, if McLaren manage to achieve that it will be another great season

I'd also add 2019 has been Sainz's season, he proved awesome consistency and incredible racecraft, managing to achieve some results which didn't seem possible beforehand. He's impressed me as I really never considered him a top driver, but maybe I was wrong! :D

Nivedanm

Did they bring any new updates for this race? While this a question that has to be posted on the other thread, I am asking this because of their performance on hard tyres. They managed to overtake the Renaults in the race quite a few times and managed to stay ahead of them till the end.

In the last few races, performance on hard tyres had been a week point. It didn't seem so yesterday. Considering they had a strategy disadvantage of not having free tyre choice unlike Perez and Kvyat, their ability to hold positions and overtake the other midfield cars on similar strategies seems promising. If it is due to the upgrades they brought for the race, then it is amazing how they develop the cat till the end to extract every ounce of performance in this car.

_cerber1

bauc

In general our pit stops were OK this year, but we need to improve a lot to be on the level of the RBR or Williams to that matter
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

f1rules

they brought an updated frontwing, change to the raised section in the mainplane and flap adjuster
Nivedanm wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 10:39
Did they bring any new updates for this race? While this a question that has to be posted on the other thread, I am asking this because of their performance on hard tyres. They managed to overtake the Renaults in the race quite a few times and managed to stay ahead of them till the end.

In the last few races, performance on hard tyres had been a week point. It didn't seem so yesterday. Considering they had a strategy disadvantage of not having free tyre choice unlike Perez and Kvyat, their ability to hold positions and overtake the other midfield cars on similar strategies seems promising. If it is due to the upgrades they brought for the race, then it is amazing how they develop the cat till the end to extract every ounce of performance in this car.

RonDennis

Nivedanm wrote:

Not all the hard tires are the same.

ivanlesk

RonDennis wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 13:20
Nivedanm wrote:

Not all the hard tires are the same.
This!!
That was my main issue with reverting to only three color designations for tires.

Xero

Nivedanm wrote:
Tyres at the Brazilian GP were C3, C4, C5 compounds (C5 being the hardest compound available). At Abu Dhabi we had the C1, C2 and C3. So the hard tyres on offer were the same compound as the Brazilian softs. Most teams struggled to fire up the C5s all season.

EDIT: Sorry, got the compound numbers back to front, C5 is of course the softest compound. My point was Brazil used 3 hardest while Abu Dhabi was 3 softest.
Last edited by Xero on 02 Dec 2019, 20:49, edited 2 times in total.

M840TR

Xero wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 16:37
Nivedanm wrote:
Tyres at the Brazilian GP were C3, C4, C5 compounds (C5 being the hardest compound available). At Abu Dhabi we had the C1, C2 and C3. So the hard tyres on offer were the same compound as the Brazilian softs. Most teams struggled to fire up the C5s all season.
It was C3, C4 & C5 for Abu Dhabi.

SmallSoldier

Xero wrote:I guess now is as good a time as any to reflect on the season as a whole.

Great post and review of the season... And summarizes my feelings around it almost perfectly.

The team exceeded my expectations for the season in terms of the car’s performance, even though the gap to the top 3 is still huge, there is definitely an improvement over previous years and that’s all I could have asked from Mclaren... Make progress and move forward (after feeling like they were moving backwards every season the last few years).

The P4 in the constructors championship is a reward to the team’s consistency and the driver’s maturity/race craft... Not necessarily a reflection of the car’s performance on track. We have to recognize that the MCL34 was a car that had performance to mix it up at the top of the midfield, but it never really cleared it or lead it and that the massive point difference to P5 in the WCC is due to the team taking advantage of the opportunities presented to them during the season... The Team won P4, the car isn’t the 4th best car.

Which leads me to hopes and expectations for next season... The MCL35 will be the result of the new leadership team’s efforts and hopefully it will close the gap to the front, would love to see the team in within a second of pole consistently next year... Just as there is no question in regards to whom will fill the top 6 spots in Qualifying, I’m hoping that there is no question as to whom will fill the top 8 spots in 2020 and Mclaren been part of that group.

Finally, I’m really hoping they are going to fix the nagging issues outside of the cockpit... There has been way too many mistakes in PitStops during the season and Mclaren’s performance isn’t the one that a top caliber team, yesterday they complicated Norris with a 3.9 second PitStop, which could have helped him keep P7, forcing him to make his way pass both Williams... Mclaren’s PitStop’s this year weren’t neither fast nor consistent... With a midfield that will probably continue to be close next year, what happens out of the cockpit can make or break a season (pitstops, strategy) and that’s something that can be improved without spending tens of millions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk