2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jambier

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Mansell89 wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 01:23
Today’s final race summed up Renault season.

Huge couple of years ahead for them now. No lack of talent from a driver point of view with Ricciardo and Ocon in 2020. Pat Fry a great addition but will they be able to make a substantial leap with the chassis?

They will be the only Renault powered team in 2020- where do you think their power unit currently sits performance wise up against the other three?
In 2020 there will be McLaren with Renault as well.

And the power unit is the last concern. I know that there have been issues at the begining of the season, but then reliability was OK and power is decent.

I am much more afraid of the chassis.... It seems that Abiteboul is asking for more money to be at the "budget cap" level, because they are currently under it
It also seem that 2020 will just be an evolution of this year car, so P5 in constructor for next year is the best they can do

Pat Fry and the chassis team will have to work on 2021 starting now

Ground Effect

So, Martin Brundle said this in his column for the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi:

“......but Fernando Alonso on the grid confirmed to me he wants to be back in F1 for 2021 - most likely with Renault I would have thought. The focus at the moment is all about the fresh new talent in F1, but there's not a big queue of Leclercs and Verstappens knocking on the door of F1 right now, and even the Red Bull young driver train is stuck in the station.”

If a situation occurs, say Ricciardo replacing Seb at Ferrari in 2021, would bringing back Fernando be a good move for Renault F1 team?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

turbof1

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 15:07
So, Martin Brundle said this in his column for the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi:

“......but Fernando Alonso on the grid confirmed to me he wants to be back in F1 for 2021 - most likely with Renault I would have thought. The focus at the moment is all about the fresh new talent in F1, but there's not a big queue of Leclercs and Verstappens knocking on the door of F1 right now, and even the Red Bull young driver train is stuck in the station.”

If a situation occurs, say Ricciardo replacing Seb at Ferrari in 2021, would bringing back Fernando be a good move for Renault F1 team?
He'd not have driven F1 for 2 years, he has his age against him and he has built a reputation of not being easy to work with. I'd say it wouldn't be a good move.
#AeroFrodo

Capharol

turbof1 wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 15:10
Ground Effect wrote:

He'd not have driven F1 for 2 years, he has his age against him and he has built a reputation of not being easy to work with. I'd say it wouldn't be a good move.
if Renault wanna destroy themselves completly instead of making progress, yes, they should take Alonso

Morteza

That cap :D
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

djos

lol, that’s gold!

Btw regarding the PU, it’s clearly decent now as we saw it perform extremely well at Monza and in the final race Bottas couldn’t get past Hulk without DRS.
"In downforce we trust"

Mclarensenna

Ground Effect wrote:

Alonso is extremely quick I will say that. But after a 2 year F1 sabatical in 2021 he will be 40. It will be kind of like what Schumacher did trying to come back. He will have lost some speed for sure. The question is how much?

So if Ricciardo leaves then most likely Ocon stays and he is very very quick we saw how he matched up with perez who is no slouch. On top 1 thing about Ocon he seems to cause incredible friction. Perez has played nice with all teammates with no issue but with Ocon it was world war 3. So giving Perez the benefit of the doubt in this case as he has had alot more teammates and experience than Ocon with hardly any issues i would put more of the blame on Ocon. Even though Perez is to blame for a lot of the incidents. Ocon seems to cause extreme team disharmony. We saw how he riled Max up as well. I am wondering how the dynamic will work with Ric as i am expecting world war 3 as well. Time will tell.

In 2021 Ocon will be getting faster while Alonso slower with age. I would still think Alonso will beat him. But it will be very close and more like the Rosberg/Hamilton situation. Ocon does not seem the type to play number 2. So unless Renault brings Alonso, and brings in a clear number 2, which means they put 100% faith in Alonso it is difficult to see Renault going and succeeding down this path. I see an Alonso/Kimi type dynamic working very well. But the other question is will Renault actually be competitive in 2021 after all the failed promises?
If they fire Cyril, increase budget to the maximum, and start work very early on the 2021 cars sacrificing the 2020 car then they could be in with a shot. Otherwise why would Alonso even bother joining renault as he only wants to win.

604gtir

Mclarensenna wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 01:20
Alonso is extremely quick I will say that. But after a 2 year F1 sabatical in 2021 he will be 40. It will be kind of like what Schumacher did trying to come back. He will have lost some speed for sure. The question is how much?
until f1 becomes a sprint race again, i dont think age matters that much right now

Mclarensenna

604gtir wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 02:14
Mclarensenna wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 01:20
until f1 becomes a sprint race again, i dont think age matters that much right now
It was not a sprint race either when Schumacher came back at 40 yet he still lost some speed due to age and a 3 year F1 sabbatical.
So why wouldn't Alonso lose some speed coming back post 40 after a 2 year sabbatical?

604gtir

Mclarensenna wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 02:32
It was not a sprint race either when Schumacher came back at 40 yet he still lost some speed due to age and a 3 year F1 sabbatical.
So why wouldn't Alonso lose some speed coming back post 40 after a 2 year sabbatical?
what was schumacher up to during those years off?
and what has alonso been doing?

there was also a considerable change in formula from 2006 to 2010 in terms of downforce,weight,and tires. maybe he simply had trouble adapting
there was a ton less testing

Mclarensenna

604gtir wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 02:48
Mclarensenna wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 02:32
what was schumacher up to during those years off?
and what has alonso been doing?

there was also a considerable change in formula from 2006 to 2010 in terms of downforce,weight,and tires. maybe he simply had trouble adapting
there was a ton less testing
Schumacher was extremely active and fit, he was still bike racing and go kart racing, fitness etc etc
He did not sit on the coach and come back overweight and unfit.

Schumacher was always known as the greatest adaptor more than almost any other driver in history. In his first F1 test he jumped in a car and immediately in a few laps smashed the lap record. Then he joined Jordan and first day beat his very experienced team mate. Then next race he jumped into Beneton did the same thing, Schumacher's greatest strength is the ability to adapt to any car quicker than anybody.

So now claiming he had trouble adapting is extremely unlikely and quite frankly ridiculous.

Age is what slowed Schumacher down the most by far post 40, not being unfit, and not struggling to adapt.

Capharol

i have to agree with Mclarensenna here.
but let us not drift away from the topic here

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Jambier

Finally... new guys at Enstone, fresh start
Maybe we can begin to have a bit of hope for 2021