Scuderia Ferrari SF91?? Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Scuderia Ferrari SF91?? Speculation Thread

This is the speculation Thread about the 2020 Ferrari F1 Contender. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Sevach

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF91?? Speculation Thread

Binotto said a few months back that he believed the team would keep their FW concept for next year, so there's something.

Don't know much else.

LM10

Sevach wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 14:26
Binotto said a few months back that he believed the team would keep their FW concept for next year, so there's something.

Don't know much else.
It seems that this FW concept was the better decision after all. All other teams copied it sooner or later. Redbull being the last ones which have tested it.

Holm86

It seems like they found the balance with the FW concept after they added the cape, which probably made up for the lack of downforce of this concept

Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 14:42
Sevach wrote:

Don't know much else.
It seems that this FW concept was the better decision after all. All other teams copied it sooner or later. Redbull being the last ones which have tested it.
Well, the ones that "copied" it really went for a mid way solution, not a full Ferrari copy. Ferrari had a big inboard loading from the outset, Mercedes and RB kept more loading outboard even when they moved away from their original design. They also ran with more camber in the outer section that Ferrari - again keeping loading outboard.

It will be interesting to see if Ferrari converge with Merc/RB or whether they converge towards the Ferrari solution.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

F1NAC

Any bets on car name? :mrgreen: pattern suggests SF91

Singapore2008

Holm86 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 15:22
It seems like they found the balance with the FW concept after they added the cape, which probably made up for the lack of downforce of this concept
It seemed to me, they still had a major downforce-deficit in the last three races. My guess is they will converge to the Mercedes/Red Bull solution of the FW.

Holm86

Singapore2008 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 16:43
Holm86 wrote:
It seemed to me, they still had a major downforce-deficit in the last three races. My guess is they will converge to the Mercedes/Red Bull solution of the FW.
Maybe they dailed down their downforce to maintain their straight line advantage, as it seem they lost some power after the engine directive FIA stated

LM10

Holm86 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:27
Singapore2008 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
Maybe they dailed down their downforce to maintain their straight line advantage, as it seem they lost some power after the engine directive FIA stated
First of all, totally contrary to what Singapore2008 told, Ferrari had the best cornering performance of all season in 2 of the last 3 races.
Secondly, it didn’t look like they cut off some downforce as they had maximum rearwing configuration in all 3 races. Would be a bit weird to try to cut downforce and still let the most drag producing device on the car.

dfegan358

It’s amazing how quick your mind switches on to the development of next years challenger. Hopefully Ferrari have learned a lot about their deficiencies this year and will develop a car with more downforce.

Already excited to what ideas and changes they come up with.

Sevach

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 15:59
LM10 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 14:42
Sevach wrote:

Don't know much else.
Well, the ones that "copied" it really went for a mid way solution, not a full Ferrari copy. Ferrari had a big inboard loading from the outset, Mercedes and RB kept more loading outboard even when they moved away from their original design. They also ran with more camber in the outer section that Ferrari - again keeping loading outboard.

It will be interesting to see if Ferrari converge with Merc/RB or whether they converge towards the Ferrari solution.
Mercedes seems to be playing a "have their cake and eat it too" game, they use a lot of surface but have a small dip to help outwash.
There are loopholes that can be exploited to try and get both, chief among them, cleverly splitting the area next to the endplate with the flap adjuster, Mclaren does this, Ferrari at this point prefers a smooth transition.

I'm also curious about a car designed from the ground up to use a cape, the later spec SF90 looked like the old nose with a cape bolt on, i'm curious how that can be improved now that they are (suppousedly)designing for it.

Larger nostrils like Alfa?
A Merc style nose?

Singapore2008

LM10 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:43
Holm86 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:27
Singapore2008 wrote:

First of all, totally contrary to what Singapore2008 told, Ferrari had the best cornering performance of all season in 2 of the last 3 races.
Secondly, it didn’t look like they cut off some downforce as they had maximum rearwing configuration in all 3 races. Would be a bit weird to try to cut downforce and still let the most drag producing device on the car.
Well, I didn't expect the lack of downforce on this years Ferrari to be questioned and I certainly didn't want to revive the discussion about the TD's. So, let me put it antoher way.

In the last three races Ferrari was miles behind Mercedes and Red Bull, despite having a power advantage. Therefore they are lacking grip/downforce or/and they still can't make the tires work. In any case, if you can't make your concept work after a whole season of experience with it, it is time for a change and I expect them to change their concept to be more like Meredes or Red Bull.

ncx
ncx

As it often happens, there is probably one optimal solution, taking into account the performance through the championship rather than individual tracks. It's likely someway between Merc and Ferrari, so to speak, though where exactly may depend on the tyres. One of the main issue with having lower downforce this year was the consequent difficulty in generating heat into the tyres. It's not yet known whether the 2020 tyres will be different.

godlameroso

The downforce will come from a redesigned bargeboard area, and improved power unit packaging.
Saishū kōnā

MtthsMlw

godlameroso wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 17:28
The downforce will come from a redesigned bargeboard area, and improved power unit packaging.
I think a shrink-wrapped style engine cover à la Mercedes could unlock some performance at the rear.
That'll be quite a challenge as this year Ferrari only used one small radiator on top of the engine. I assume they rely heavly on the sidepod radiators.