Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

This is the speculation Tthread about the 2020 Mercedes W11 *insert cryptic Marketing Jibber Jabber here* F1 Contender. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

De Jokke

Re: Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

Hi Thunder, engine related stuff doesn't belong here or may we post it here?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Holm86

De Jokke wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 22:23
It should be alright here, as the next gen engine is part of the W11

3jawchuck

De Jokke wrote:
Surely engine related posts belong in the Mercedes engine thread?

zibby43

Improved efficiency will certainly be a target for the W11.

You could see Merc experimenting with a FW with a slightly less-loaded outboard section in Abu Dhabi testing.

On a side note, for a car that stopped development quite some time ago, the W10 had some seriously strong pace in Abu Dhabi.

Thunder

De Jokke wrote:
The PU itself has it's own Topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23688&start=2145
But let's say you are talking about the PU integration specifically into one Car i am fine with having it here.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

KiLLu12258

im curious if they do it like last year and come with a totally different car to the second test week.
also it will be interessting if they make changes to the philosophy of the car or they keep the focus on max downforce.

atanatizante

There are at least 3 main areas out for development IMHO: 1.cooling; 2.ICE and last but not least 3. car's drag

1. I named cooling first coz they've have had the the first issue with it spotted back from Australia, had I'm not wrong. I'll be interesting to see had they went like almost every team for the Ferrari high sidepodes air inlet rute.

2.Regarding ICE I've read they've been focused this year for two aspects: one for better driveability out of slow corners (although rear and most of all the front suspension did the most hardwork) and the other one for running longer in higher engine modes during races with the same fuel consumption. For 2020 is roumored they were concentrated more on how could they accelerate better onto a straight line after ES runs out of juice, something Ferrari are best at.

3.That new front wing at the last race suggest they're trying to change their draggy car concept into a more slipeery one.

How do you see things are going on, folks?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Bandit1216

IMO the change to more downforce, less top speed is a reaction to Honda. I think RB is the largest competitor at making a high down-force chassis. I have a feeling merc though they had to beat redbull at their own game because the power of the honda would come closer and closer.
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

izzy

atanatizante wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 14:23
There are at least 3 main areas out for development IMHO: 1.cooling; 2.ICE and last but not least 3. car's drag

1. I named cooling first coz they've have had the the first issue with it spotted back from Australia, had I'm not wrong. I'll be interesting to see had they went like almost every team for the Ferrari high sidepodes air inlet rute.

2.Regarding ICE I've read they've been focused this year for two aspects: one for better driveability out of slow corners (although rear and most of all the front suspension did the most hardwork) and the other one for running longer in higher engine modes during races with the same fuel consumption. For 2020 is roumored they were concentrated more on how could they accelerate better onto a straight line after ES runs out of juice, something Ferrari are best at.

3.That new front wing at the last race suggest they're trying to change their draggy car concept into a more slipeery one.

How do you see things are going on, folks?
i think the Week1 Testing car this year was a complete stopgap and Week2 was the real one but a bit of a rush job after they discovered this time last year how much load the new front tyres needed. And this is why it ended up a bit draggy.

So I'm expecting the same low-ish rake, maybe 1.3 degrees static, long wheelbase, but more refined and more efficient

dans79

My assumptions are as follows.
  1. PU re-design/modifications to increase performance in qualifying modes, while maintaining efficiency in race modes.
  2. Suspension design experimentation and changes in preparation for 2021
  3. Aero updates for better PU cooling
  4. Aero updates that yield a better DF/drag ratio
197 104 103 7

OO7
OO7

I doubt there'll be much suspension experimentation on the 2020 car, as I think the 2021 car will be too far removed in concept, with larger wheels, low profile tyres and non hydraulic suspension. I think there may also be limitations or a complete prohibition of the heave damper in 2021, so given these drastic changes, I don't see how they could experiment via the 2020 chassis.

djones

I do no think they need to change anything in terms of concept or develop one area more than the rest.

They simply need to do exactly what they have done this year. They smashed the WDC and WCC so the recipe works just fine.

Chances are all of the other teams know they cannot beat Mercedes until the 2021 rule changes, so I suspect next year will be even easier for them as others look ahead and treat next year as somewhat of a throwaway.

The only team that looked close to worrying them this year was Ferrari.... but after clarifications and extra sensors, they will most likely take the same 30+ second hammering at nearly all the races next year as they have in the last few races when they lost the magic engine.

Holm86

djones wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 21:44
I do no think they need to change anything in terms of concept or develop one area more than the rest.

They simply need to do exactly what they have done this year. They smashed the WDC and WCC so the recipe works just fine.

Chances are all of the other teams know they cannot beat Mercedes until the 2021 rule changes, so I suspect next year will be even easier for them as others look ahead and treat next year as somewhat of a throwaway.

The only team that looked close to worrying them this year was Ferrari.... but after clarifications and extra sensors, they will most likely take the same 30+ second hammering at nearly all the races next year as they have in the last few races when they lost the magic engine.
I don't agree, the W10 showed weakness in the start of the season, and if Ferrari hadn't screwed up so much this year, im sure the title fight could have been much closer.
I kind of feel like the Mercedes concept has reached the top of its potential, and this concept is a bit difficult do dail in set up wise, and takes some time to find the sweet spot. I believe it was the same with the W09

Could be nice to see a new concept, even though I doubt it. But let's see

Wass85

I'm of the mould of if it ain't broke don't fix it. We saw how McLaren messed things up in 2013 after having such a strong package in 2012.

If it's true about concentrating on the 2020 quite early this season then I imagine they will produce a winner yet again.