[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Koldskaal

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

maunde wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 22:25
Congrats on being on the podium ;) what sort of CAD software do you use while modelling?
I use SolidWorks. From what I have read something like Siemens NX or CATIA might be better suited. But I have neither access to, nor experience with any of them.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

rjsa

Koldskaal wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 09:24
maunde wrote:
Congrats on being on the podium ;) what sort of CAD software do you use while modelling?
I use SolidWorks. From what I have read something like Siemens NX or CATIA might be better suited. But I have neither access to, nor experience with any of them.
Fusion360 is nice (for those who don’t have access to sw either)

maunde

Koldskaal wrote:
maunde wrote:
Ah nice, I use SW at work regularly - trying to get into NX due to the abundance of it in F1.
A kiwi looking to fly like McLaren.

Koldskaal

maunde wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 21:03
Koldskaal wrote:
maunde wrote:
Ah nice, I use SW at work regularly - trying to get into NX due to the abundance of it in F1.
I would love to know what Wind Wizards inc. are using (and how :D ). Looking at their sidepods makes me feel bad about my CAD skills :lol:
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

wb92

Regarding last race results - I think I still haven't received official post-pro data.
Is it only me or I missed the mail?
MVRC - WBRacing

CAEdevice

Hi everybody, considering the coming winter, long and boring without F1 races and, especially, without MVRC races, would you be interested in competing in a single CFD race in the next February? I am working on this template. I would be happy to have André and Richard among the competitors (I will personally take a break).

It is a small car, no more than 250HP, much less than 3000mm wheelbase, F3 tyres and less than 500kg, but it looks funny.

variante

I'm always temped by a new challenge.
This looks like a compressed F1...a bit too similar to what we've been doing so far.
Instead, what about a Formula Student car? With those, you can make crazy bodywork shapes! :D

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 18:24
I'm always temped by a new challenge.
This looks like a compressed F1...a bit too similar to what we've been doing so far.
Instead, what about a Formula Student car? With those, you can make crazy bodywork shapes! :D
It has a F1 2021 floor... did you notice it?

No... I see that Formula Student is having a great success, but I can't get excited about it.
Formula 1000 (and this is a bit more than a F1000, but not to different) are small and humble, but they race real races... and in real tracks! Ok, I am the oldest here, pity me :D ... but this is my perspective.

variante

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 18:37
Well, it's almost flat.

CAEdevice wrote:
Formula 1000 (and this is a bit more than a F1000, but not to different) are small and humble, but they race real races... and in real tracks!
Meh...they pale in comparison to a properly designed F.Student car :lol:

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 19:27
CAEdevice wrote:
Well, it's almost flat.

CAEdevice wrote:
Formula 1000 (and this is a bit more than a F1000, but not to different) are small and humble, but they race real races... and in real tracks!
https://i.redd.it/zjck6qfu6uy01.jpg
Nothing to do... it does not intigue me more than a Formula Ford.
I don't want to go into it, they are personal opinions ...

wb92

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 20:06
variante wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 19:27
CAEdevice wrote:
Well, it's almost flat.

CAEdevice wrote:
https://i.redd.it/zjck6qfu6uy01.jpg
Nothing to do... it does not intigue me more than a Formula Ford.
I don't want to go into it, they are personal opinions ...
Have you ever been to the competition to see it live?
Speaking about Formula Student - any members here of such teams or alumnis?
MVRC - WBRacing

CAEdevice

Hi, I want to point out that I have nothing against Formula Student Cars. Simply I prefer cars like F1000, F4, Formula Ford, Griiip. Just to clarify: with the present rules I prefer F1000, Griiip or Predators than F1... so you can complete the syllogism: I like Formula student as much as F1, So, I hope, nobody feels offended now (anyway, Variante talked about Formula Student, not me).

Since I decided to organise a funny race, I simply chose the car template I prefer.

wb92

Don't get offended so easily - I just asked if you (or anyone else) have seen Formula Student live ;) Still curious for the answer and if there is anyone who took part in Formula Student.
@Variante - you maybe? As you presented one of the best aerodynamically FS car and team.

I agree that with present F1 rules, there are some more attractive cars to build or just develop. For sure everyone has own preferences.

I'm fine with your choice, but I guess I'm out for that one. Why tubular frame though? Do you plan to build such car?
MVRC - WBRacing

CAEdevice

Variante has been part of a strong team (from the same university I did ages ago), there is dedicated website somewhere (he can tell you more about it).

About the tubolar car: there are many reasons. I will explain more in details in a separate thread, but roughly:

1) F1000 and similar often have tubolar frames (please consider that the one you see in the preview is only preliminar study, many details are missing). I admire tubolar frame weldings and cars made in a garage (maybe becaue I saw too many carbon frames in my first years as a structural engineer).

2) I would like to have the most simple rulebook as possible. As I wrote somewhere else, the more realistic is the physical model, the more free can be the rules... so the aim is just to give a tubolar frame to "dress".

3) I received precious techical data from a real "F1000" producer that helped very much to have a realistic template (and their frame is tubolar)

4) I recently bought a pure welded steel frame, to replace an old carbon frame on my road bicycle.

Finally: this is only a small winter race (something like RoC), the big challange will always be MVRC.

maunde

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 22:54
Variante has been part of a strong team (form the same university I did ages ago), there is dedicated website somewhere (he can tell you more about it).

About the tubolar car: there are many reasons. I will explain more in details in a separate thread, but roughly:

1) F1000 and similar often have tubolar frames (please consider that the one you see in the preview is only preliminar study, many details are missing). I admire tubolar frame weldings and cars made in a garage (maybe becaue I saw too many carbon frames in my first years as a structural engineer).

2) I would like to have the most simple rulebook as possible. As I wrote somewhere else, the more realistic is the physical model, the more free can be the rules... so the aim is just to give a tubolar frame to "dress".

3) I received precious techical data from a real "F1000" producer that helped very much to have a realistic template (and their frame is tubolar)

4) I recently bought a pure welded steel frame, to replace an old carbon frame on my road bicycle.
Tube frames are gorgeous. I am currently designing a single-seater/open-wheel/closed-canopy hill climb car. It will be tube framed to reduce cost, and welded by myself.

Do you have any resources pertaining to the structural design of such cars?

Cheers
A kiwi looking to fly like McLaren.