Driver styles/preferences

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Webber2011

Re: Driver styles/preferences

raymondu999 wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 06:11
Just wondering, what is the forum's stance on Peter Windsor nowadays?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5_XBmYzVWY
Have I missed something ?

I know some here disagree with Peter Windsor at times, but I thought he was still fairly well respected.

I'm not sure why you're asking the forum's "stance" ?

raymondu999

Webber2011 wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 03:49
I know some here disagree with Peter Windsor at times, but I thought he was still fairly well respected.
I don't think that is a word I've ever seen in the same sentence as his name in this forum lol. I personally do think he spouts a ton of BS though; especially on the technical and driving fronts
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

trinidefender

raymondu999 wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 04:44
Webber2011 wrote:
I don't think that is a word I've ever seen in the same sentence as his name in this forum lol. I personally do think he spouts a ton of BS though; especially on the technical and driving fronts
Want to clarify, substantiate, give evidence for or give examples of why he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to how drivers drive?

I wouldn't generally use this forum as the best place to gain an insight into driving techniques and the like. I remember a few times there was a driving coach who is well respected in the F1 paddock and has worked with numerous top level drivers who was rubished here. The usual complaint being that he is old and his driving techniques are antiquated.....completely ignoring that he still works as a driving coach to top level drivers.

Then again, if people on this forum think that guy doesn't know what he's talking about then what do I know? :roll:

Webber2011

raymondu999 wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 04:44
Webber2011 wrote:
Well excuse me your Royal Highness for asking the question 🙄

I had no idea you'd been around the paddock longer than Windsor, and for sure didn't know this was a common held belief among forum members.

Having another look, I'm glad you included the word "personally", because even though he might not have the experience in F1 as a legend such as your esteemed self, that is your own "personal" opinion.

To say that "respected" is a word you've never seen mentioned in the same sentence as his name on this forum, says more about your over inflated opinions of yourself than it does about anything else, and to be honest insults the amount of time this guy's been involved in F1.

I'm not as technically minded as many of you, I'm the first to admit that.
So I do enjoy some of his comments and videos, that while not being in depth, or technically superior, are very easy to understand and watch.

I hope others do too ?

Some of us find him informative, if not quite up to your standards, and all I was doing was wondering if this was the general forum concensus ?

raymondu999

trinidefender wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 05:22
Want to clarify, substantiate, give evidence for or give examples of why he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to how drivers drive?
It's that he claims the same principles over and over again; short corners, smooth rates of input. Take an example of Driver A and Driver B being teammates in 2 separate years. If Driver A performs better than Driver B in Year 1, he says "Driver A drives much smoother than Driver B; and drives shorter corners. Driver B drives much more aggressively and has longer corners." Fast forward a year; if Driver B is driving better; he just transposes what he has said before. If you look back at his race reports that he used to do on his website; it was basically a story of how it was blatantly obvious to his eye that [winning driver] was driving short corners and smooth rates of input; and [p2 driver] was doing the 2nd best job of this short corner smooth input style.
I wouldn't generally use this forum as the best place to gain an insight into driving techniques and the like.
Possibly true. A few real-life motorsports engineers contribute posts here as well though.
I remember a few times there was a driving coach who is well respected in the F1 paddock and has worked with numerous top level drivers who was rubished here.
I'm well aware of the thread; I started it. In fact I started it to ask what people's opinions of him were; from a more technical standpoint so that whatever motorsports/tyre engineers were on this forum could shed some more light on the issue.
Webber2011 wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 06:13
I had no idea you'd been around the paddock longer than Windsor, and for sure didn't know this was a common held belief among forum members.
One does not need to have paddock experience to have any sort of opinion. Whether that opinion is worth anything or is utter trash; is another matter. You may think my opinion is complete rubbish and that's your prerogative. I won't hold it against you; I just ask that we have a rational discussion about it.
So I do enjoy some of his comments and videos, that while not being in depth, or technically superior, are very easy to understand and watch.
They are easy to understand. They are easy to watch. He's a good journalist; in that he communicates his analysis and opinions well. What is the subject of my contention is; are those any good? For example; in his race report of Spain 2011. Windsor says that McLaren doesn't have enough downforce to "maximise" the grip of the soft tyre; and on the harder tyre, "everyone is sliding anyway" - and hence downforce doesn't matter. Which as far as my limited physics knowledge goes - is the opposite. Need the downforce to hold down the more slippery harder tyres, vs needing less downforce to hold down an already grippy tyre.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Webber2011

Well I still have absolutely no idea in regards to your background, compared to Peter Windsor raymondu999 ? ? ?

But I will say you speak a lot of sense when it comes to some things.

But others............you crack me up mate 😂

I get what you are saying about tires I guess, but I can't remember as far back as 2011 🍻
I started watching F1 many moons ago, and it's always been the same when it comes to who gets the tire advantage.

It's the team who puts in the hardest yards.
(I.e. Money and resources)

I don't remember Windsor ever really putting a Team or Driver down unless they deserved it.

He seems pretty straight up to me .

I honestly believe he still has contacts deeply involved in a few teams.

He used to post here I believe, but probably got sick and tired internet hero's I s'pose

raymondu999

Webber2011 wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 13:53
Well I still have absolutely no idea in regards to your background, compared to Peter Windsor raymondu999 ? ? ?
None whatsoever
But I will say you speak a lot of sense when it comes to some things.
Thank you.
I don't remember Windsor ever really putting a Team or Driver down unless they deserved it.
except USF1 :P
I honestly believe he still has contacts deeply involved in a few teams.
Maybe. Just because someone still has contacts doesn't mean what they say is factual.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

Lewis is doing reference laps for the Gran Turismo game/sim(?) now. And it's just interesting watching his laps, especially as for once you are able to see his footwork.

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan

raymondu999 wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 10:39
Lewis is doing reference laps for the Gran Turismo game/sim(?) now.
That was back in 2017, but you're right, it's interesting to see his foot movements. The brake pedal is moving up and down a few times in some corners. I think this is not unusual with left foot braking, however, as the brakes can be used to change the balance of the car mid corner.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Capharol

raymondu999 wrote:
Lewis is doing reference laps for the Gran Turismo game/sim(?) now. And it's just interesting watching his laps, especially as for once you are able to see his footwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSmwEiNhKuQ
on GT there is a Lewis Hamilton Challenge on certain circuits with the AMG GT3

raymondu999

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 13:08
raymondu999 wrote:
Lewis is doing reference laps for the Gran Turismo game/sim(?) now.
That was back in 2017, but you're right, it's interesting to see his foot movements. The brake pedal is moving up and down a few times in some corners. I think this is not unusual with left foot braking, however, as the brakes can be used to change the balance of the car mid corner.
Yes I stupidly only realised that after I posted lmao. But yeah very interesting.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

Some more insight into Vettel's prefered balance. Stable rear end as most persons suspected. This is interesting because yoou would think the pinched wings of the ferrari was lacking front downforce. Maybe the addition of the "snow plough" helped things out front.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/leclerc-w ... ly-issues/
“Sebastian lacked confidence in his car. It was unstable in the rear, especially when braking,” Binotto told Auto Motor und Sport.

“If you lack confidence, you can not drive at the limit. The more downforce we found, the more that confidence returned to Sebastian.

“His lap times got better and Charles was a good benchmark for him. That also pushed him further.

“What I liked about Sebastian was that he stayed calm, worked his way through the issue, and understood what he had to do to improve himself and the car.”
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

From what I gather - the Ferrari’s problems with Vettel’s style is not so much a lack of rear downforce, but because the front wing cannot generate enough “ultimate” front df, they have to knacker the rear wing into providing less rear df to not have an overly understeery balance.

Ergo - when the Ferrari introduced their snow plough or whatever it was in Singapore - it allowed them to sacrifice less rear, helping Seb towards regaining his entry confidence
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

So sad that this thread has seemingly died. Nobody seems too interested in driving nuances anymore.

Been looking at Leclerc’s poke laps of 2019. It would seem to me that Leclerc has a style that is less touchy-feely, less “Ricciardo”/“Raikkonen” as it were, and more of a Maldonado-type gung-honess; although a lot more refined. His pole laps have a lot of “overdriven” moments where it seems just like he has that confidence of “I can take whatever the car throws at me. If I slide, I slide. My car control will put timeloss to a minimum.” Watching his pole laps reminds me kind of 2008 Hamilton, that sort of gung-ho approach, although it does seem 2008 Hamilton caught slides earlier. His laps were plentiful of corrections, perhaps even more so... but they were almost microslides that he just caught so early.

Hamilton:

Leclerc:

Verstappen looks to be very much like his 2018 teammate. Very smoothly guiding the wheel into the apexes before cranking steering back out.

Verstappen Hungary pole

Ricciardo pole lap
失败者找理由,成功者找方法