Red Bull RB16 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pyrone89

Re: Red Bull RB16 Speculation Thread

godlameroso wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 20:10
I agree the 2018 RB was a good car with an unreliable engine. 2020 RB should be a good car with a good engine.
Not enough, it needs to be a superb car with a superb engine to beat the Mercedes rocketship factory
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Bill

Superb engine is at Maranello.i think a lot of people are underestimating Ferrari they produce good car in 2018 & 17 with great innovation around the side pod.it will be wonderful if all three top are fighting for championship perhaps a surprise from Renault or Mclaren to mix things up

Bandit1216

Here on this side of the pond, in Max country, journalist say the RB16 is going to be revolutionary. Why? Because they will spent all winter looking very determined and angry. And then, tada!

Sadly journalism in the Netherlands has been declared dead for sometime now. They seem to think the world works like movies by Stallone.
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

Giblet

Bill wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 06:22
If you read the full article from amus it says Honda pu is within single digits hp away from Mercedes from what I can deduce Honda has already caught Mercedes or pass them after what we saw from Brazil. Amus is a little biased towards merc. In fact Honda did produce a graph that effectively says they had matched Mercedes for so really they is no point speculating we got the answer from the horses mouth.

Cyril thinks his engine is second best he put Mercedes dead last.Toto on the other hand put Mercedes 2nd Renault last so really to extent everyone see what they want to see.
Fortunately outright power is just one metric. Them getting past Mercedes in Brazil at a high altitude track really does not mean anything.

How the power is delivered across the entire power band is as important as peak power.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Alexf1

So what does the front wing that was tested in Brazil and Abu Dhabi tell us for 2020 car concept?

kfrantzios

Giblet wrote:
Bill wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 06:22
If you read the full article from amus it says Honda pu is within single digits hp away from Mercedes from what I can deduce Honda has already caught Mercedes or pass them after what we saw from Brazil. Amus is a little biased towards merc. In fact Honda did produce a graph that effectively says they had matched Mercedes for so really they is no point speculating we got the answer from the horses mouth.

Cyril thinks his engine is second best he put Mercedes dead last.Toto on the other hand put Mercedes 2nd Renault last so really to extent everyone see what they want to see.
Fortunately outright power is just one metric. Them getting past Mercedes in Brazil at a high altitude track really does not mean anything.

How the power is delivered across the entire power band is as important as peak power.
We should not forget about reliability too. Honda engines haven't lasted 7 races yet.

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk

Wouter

Which tires fit best with the RB16? :) The same tire choice in the first four races!

https://twitter.com/pirellisport/status ... 4089608192
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

kfrantzios wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 22:32
We should not forget about reliability too. Honda engines haven't lasted 7 races yet.
They have not used the engine for 7 races, but who says that the engine does not last 7 races?
If necessary, they race 6 races with one engine, that is also good.
Once a penalty is not so bad.
The Power of Dreams!

kfrantzios

Wouter wrote:
kfrantzios wrote:
They have not used the engine for 7 races, but who says that the engine does not last 7 races?
I never said that they don't last 7 races. I said that they haven't yet.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Wouter

kfrantzios wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 23:02
Wouter wrote:
kfrantzios wrote:
I know that. I did not claim that you said that . :)
The Power of Dreams!

GhostF1

kfrantzios wrote:
Wouter wrote:
kfrantzios wrote:

I have no doubt they could of done if they needed to. One of the Honda PU's for RBR lasted 6 races before it was replaced by the Spec 4 and then it maintained duty as a practice engine anyway with no issues for the remainder of the season. And Toro Rosso in Brazil, they said they almost expected the failures in practice with the engines they were using as they were "very old units and well past their expected expiration". Either way, I think Honda proved themselves with reliability this year, the only ones without a failure on track where the other manufacturers had quite a few pretty explosive issues, not mileage related... (especially Renault), even Bottas' "new" engine in Abu Dhabi failed in one session and he had to take another new one.

yener

Can't stop thinking about the Quali lap of Max Verstappen at Silverstone where he complains about a massive lag on the team radio. After that race they admitted the PU was overheated at Austria where he was fought for the win and got a special "engine mode".

Now in Brasil he also needed the "special" engine mode and Abu Dhabi he had problems with the PU again.

So honestly, i think the Honda engine this year is a big step forward, but not even close in terms of reliability compared to Ferrari and Merc on high engine modes.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

saviour stivala

In 2019 season no Honda engine was raced for seven races. On average Honda used 6 ICE per car, 5.25 TC per car, 5.25 H per car, 4.5 K per car, 3 ES per car and 3 CE per car.

AMG.Tzan

I would say 2019 was more like "get more HP at any cost" for Honda! So now that at least in race trim they are almost there with Mercedes and Ferrari...they can look after reliability in the winter!

I also think that this year drag was more of a factor in terms of speed rather than engine power! Ferrari was so fast on the straights because of their low drag philosophy and so they lacked downforce in the corners because of that!

So if Red Bull manages to change a bit the philosophy of their car and make it a bit less draggy...i think they can be right there with Mercedes and Ferrari in 2020! I don't take their speed at the end of the year as something to look at because they always have been fast at the end of year the last 2-3 years!

So to sum it all up i think RB16 will be...get the same downforce with lower drag for Red Bull...get the same horsepower with better reliability for Honda! At least for the start of the year...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Capharol

kfrantzios wrote:
it's funny tho.... that most ppl saying "Honda has a reliabillty problem, because they didn't last 7 races"

honestly i am getting sick of this talk, because the reason WHY they haven't last 7 races is because Honda and RB agreed to bring updates whenever neccesarry to catch up the Mercedes PU and both parties knew they wouldn't be fighting for WCC or WDC anyway and that 2019 was a transition year.
and they used the older engine on a friday practice.

and still Max Verstappen finished 3rd in the Championship so can you ppl please stop this "reliabillity BS" because you are seeking something that is not there, only to batter on the Honda engine somehow/someway.

to hop back on topic.... i think RB will be a lot closer this year because the package is, not perfect, but very good

and happy holiday