Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ENGINE TUNER

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

zibby43 wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 07:03
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 01:59
Juzh wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 23:16

How is this different from other manufacturers? Do they not compete at the same altitude as mercedes somehow?
As we saw in Austria, Merc has chosen a large enough compromise on their cooling for this year that the altitude seems to effect them more than the others. I think it has something to do with their radiator air inlets and how they are lower than everyone else's, possibly. Everyone else has moved away from that style sidepod opening style, don't know why Merc haven't.
Merc already publicly admitted that they made an error in calculating how much cooling they'd need in the design phase of the car. By the time they had noticed the error, it would've required architecture changes that were too substantial to recover from.

I don't anticipate Merc adopting the high-top inlets for 2020.
I did not see that merc made that admission, very interesting bit of information there.

Merc not adopting the high road inlets next year could be what ends their run. Supposedly they give better cooling and lower drag. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Sierra117

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 16:16
zibby43 wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 01:59

As we saw in Austria, Merc has chosen a large enough compromise on their cooling for this year that the altitude seems to effect them more than the others. I think it has something to do with their radiator air inlets and how they are lower than everyone else's, possibly. Everyone else has moved away from that style sidepod opening style, don't know why Merc haven't.
Merc already publicly admitted that they made an error in calculating how much cooling they'd need in the design phase of the car. By the time they had noticed the error, it would've required architecture changes that were too substantial to recover from.

I did not see that merc made that admission, very interesting bit of information there.

Merc not adopting the high road inlets next year could be what ends their run. Supposedly they give better cooling and lower drag. Guess we'll see soon enough.
This year was essentially a sandbox aero-wise. Now they have valuable data about designing a car with so much DF and not caring much for drag and seeing how their engine in various scenarios copes with that. This will enable them to create a better balance from now on. Considering how well they've kept up despite having such costly drag, I think they'll be fine. I for one see good things coming. The team also reflects this, they seem to now have found their bearings compared to the winter tests when they seemed aiming in the dark a bit.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

LM10

Sierra117 wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 16:32
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 16:16
zibby43 wrote:

This year was essentially a sandbox aero-wise. Now they have valuable data about designing a car with so much DF and not caring much for drag and seeing how their engine in various scenarios copes with that. This will enable them to create a better balance from now on. Considering how well they've kept up despite having such costly drag, I think they'll be fine. I for one see good things coming. The team also reflects this, they seem to now have found their bearings compared to the winter tests when they seemed aiming in the dark a bit.
Mercedes don’t need to change much. The drag was not really that costly. It was a side effect of having gone the best route: downforce at all costs. This was the way to go for this year’s tyres. And that’s why they wiped the floor with the opponent for the majority of the season.

SiLo

I feel like people just forget what happened before the summer break. They utterly dominated everyone and even when they weren't fastest, they were the most reliable and made the least mistakes.

It really felt like Mercedes just cruised the last half of the year, spending a lot of time understanding their Germany upgrade, fixing cooling issues and working on getting the most out of the tyres. And yet after all that, Hamilton could still have likely won in Monza, Spa, Singapore and Brazil (with a tad bit of luck).

Considering how much they focus on themselves each year, it wouldn't surprise me to see them top next year.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

I recently suspected that this engine has a new program since Abudhabi. It burbles just a much as the Honda Engine when I listen to it using earbuds on my Galaxy S10 with "Dobly atmos" effect turned on. Seriously sounds like the same cylinder firing effect like the honda through all corners during braking and shifts. The "shots" are really loud and burbbly. I have no clue how to get the equalizer settings from it though to share with you guys but please have a listen for yourselves.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sierra117

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 03:33
I recently suspected that this engine has a new program since Abudhabi. It burbles just a much as the Honda Engine when I listen to it using earbuds on my Galaxy S10 with "Dobly atmos" effect turned on. Seriously sounds like the same cylinder firing effect like the honda through all corners during braking and shifts. The "shots" are really loud and burbbly. I have no clue how to get the equalizer settings from it though to share with you guys but please have a listen for yourselves.
In the race or during testing? Got a link?
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

LM10

Sierra117 wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 22:51
PlatinumZealot wrote:
He means the sound in this video.

EDIT: Forgot to send the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmuKQ2J ... =emb_title
Last edited by LM10 on 07 Dec 2019, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

Sierra117 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Qualifying on board.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LM10

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 01:34
Sierra117 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Qualifying on board.
It definitely sounds different and more like Honda. There is not even need for high quality speakers. It's quite apparent.

MtthsMlw

LM10 wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 16:29
PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 01:34
Sierra117 wrote:

Qualifying on board.
It definitely sounds different and more like Honda. There is not even need for high quality speakers. It's quite apparent.
I noticed that on track in Spa as well, only Merc and Honda sounded quite dirty (Honda more than Merc) sometimes even with 'misfires'.
Especially the Williams had some loud bangs.
Ferrari and Renault sound really clean.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

subcritical71

https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/1 ... 3820147713

Just under 8MJ, I think a bit smaller capacity than expected. Mercedes 2016 ES.

izzy

subcritical71 wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 22:06
https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/1 ... 3820147713

Just under 8MJ, I think a bit smaller capacity than expected. Mercedes 2016 ES.
nice! isn't it weird we like looking at a dull metal box :lol:

wish they didn't have the weight limits, i bet they could be a lot lighter by now

OO7
OO7

I've just noticed something about the 2018 Mercedes PU that I hadn't realised before and I'm not sure it it has been mentioned or discussed already. The exhaust manifolds for the left and right bank are quite different to each other as can be seen in the following images:
(Note: the 2018 PU is on the left)
Open the image in a new tab to zoom for clarity and detail.

Does anyone know why this is, what Mercedes were trying to achieve?
Last edited by OO7 on 23 Dec 2019, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

MtthsMlw

Might be due to the placing of other stuff (MGU-K?) in that area or to manipulate COG.
Like the PUs are not symmetrical and that would be a cheap method of correcting that a little bit.

Also the TC gets feed near the top from one side and near the bottom from the other side, that might play some small role here as well.
Like seen here https://i.ytimg.com/vi/l2_eTLCz_3I/maxresdefault.jpg