2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jambier

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Ground Effect wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 10:54
Sorry, for some reason, I can’t view this on my device, what’s it regarding?
Newey and Brown shacking hands at a charity event

Wouter

Ground Effect wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 10:54
Sorry, for some reason, I can’t view this on my device, what’s it regarding?
Instagram: 96f1champ
What's it worth? Zak Brown @mclaren bought a factory visit from Adrian Newey @redbullracing at Joe Macari's @joemacarievents charity pub quiz for @thehalowproject and @dreamflight_official . Should be an interesting visit. Nothing to see here!
The Power of Dreams!

Ground Effect

Thanks guys, I can imagine McLaren fans would be over the moon if he was rejoining.... Not sure James Key and Prodromou would be too pleased though... :D :wink:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

That wouldn't be much of a problem. Back in 1998 Peter Prodrommou and Andrian Newey were cooperating till 2008 to create the Mclaren F1 Cars. I wouldn't see why they can't make a trio.

Manoah2u

Oh snap, Ferrari would be so sore
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Emag

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown has revealed that their F1 team is “losing lots of money” as they evaluate a possible World Endurance Championship entry.

As well as their F1 team McLaren have now committed full-time to IndyCar for 2020, joining forces with the Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsport team to form the Arrow McLaren SP entry.

McLaren are also looking for a route into the WEC’s top class, but that would be dependent on the convergence with the IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship’s DPi 2.0 concept.

Building their own hypercar for the category would be unaffordable for McLaren, and Brown admits that they are looking for a “fiscally responsible” route to enter.

Brown also revealed that McLaren are “losing lots of money” in F1, but are sticking around because they expect the series to become “sustainable” under the budget cap from 2021.

Asked by Motorsport.com if it would be sustainable to run outfits in three series, Brown said: “Yes. But right now we’ve only got two and we’d only do the third if it was sustainable and that’s why we haven’t jumped in right now under the rules that exist today.

“We are not comfortable we can make that fiscally work. IndyCar is a good business, we can make that work. We made that work. Believe it or not, we made that work this year, even with the fiasco of not qualifying [for the Indy 500].

“Formula 1 we are losing lots of money, but the new cost cap is coming in, sponsorship is going really well. We see the trajectory of Formula 1 becoming sustainable, so that’s why we are now looking at sportscars.

“If we can get a business model that works then we would enter, but what we are not going to do is enter another racing series, any racing series that isn’t fiscally responsible.”

Toyota and Aston Martin have confirmed their place in the WEC Hypercar class from when it debuts in 2020/21, and after hearing Toyota will spend “north of $40 million”, Brown has urged the series’ chiefs to keep costs under control.

“I think Toyota is going to spend north of $40 million,” Brown revealed. “I don’t think you have to spend north of $40 million, I think you can maybe spend half of that.

“But I think the one who has the biggest cheque book we know historically is the one who wins. I think they need to come up with a formula where it becomes increasingly difficult to throw more money at it.

“So the $20-40 million range is where things sit and we want to be towards the lower end of that. But we need to be confident we can be competitive with that spend level.”
Interesting article taken from: https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-l ... ney-in-f1/

_cerber1

_cerber1

diffuser

proteus wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 20:04
Andres125sx wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 18:54
proteus wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 16:57
Why would anyone with his right mind take a 40 year old driver anyway? Other teams tend to take them younger and younger, and Mclaren will screw them all over by taking theirs out of retirement homes instead. Take that for superior team managment.....
So driver talent is irrelevant, it´s age all that matters?

Alonso is 38 btw
And someone talked about Sainz as an old driver, but he´s 25 years old
Alonso will be 40 when a seat in Mclaren "can" be available. And yes, age is important since human body is not like fine wine, which would get better with age. He can have better experience, but not the reflexes and stamina.

Not to mention his other problems - about which i am not allowed to speak off, since some of his diehard fans would condemn me of being a hater.
He'd be an option but so would the Hulk. Remember he, at the very least, matched Carlos at Renault. The Hulk would also come "on the cheap".

bauc

hhaha, best tweet in a while ;D
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 15:17
proteus wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 18:54

So driver talent is irrelevant, it´s age all that matters?

Alonso is 38 btw
And someone talked about Sainz as an old driver, but he´s 25 years old
Alonso will be 40 when a seat in Mclaren "can" be available. And yes, age is important since human body is not like fine wine, which would get better with age. He can have better experience, but not the reflexes and stamina.

Not to mention his other problems - about which i am not allowed to speak off, since some of his diehard fans would condemn me of being a hater.
He'd be an option but so would the Hulk. Remember he, at the very least, matched Carlos at Renault. The Hulk would also come "on the cheap".
Didn’t Hulk price himself out of a move to Haas? I don’t think it’s about if McLaren will be able to afford him, but rather whether they think he’s worth what he’s asking for.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 17:14
diffuser wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 15:17
proteus wrote:

Didn’t Hulk price himself out of a move to Haas? I don’t think it’s about if McLaren will be able to afford him, but rather whether they think he’s worth what he’s asking for.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas ... l/4543716/

Steiner, who said he and team owner Gene Haas were "very aligned" on the decision, denied suggestions that the two drivers' respective salaries played a part, as he believes Hulkenberg could've been available on an "acceptable" deal.

He made it clear, however, that Hulkenberg had not been approached with any formal offer.

"In the end, I want to clarify that - we decided to take Romain but I don't know if Nico would've come.

"We spoke but we never made a formal offer. So I don't know if he would've accepted or not, that you need to ask him."

RonDennis

Imagine picking Grosjean over Hulkenberg. I'm sure Hulkenberg would know that he wouldn't make the same as at Renault.

mclaren111

GPToday: Ben Stevens...

2019 SURPRISE OF THE YEAR: MCLAREN
Courtesy of the chassis supplied by Pat Fry and Peter Podromou, and the all-new driver partnership of Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz, they managed to outscore the works Renault by 54 points, being regular top-ten finishers and even earning a podium at the penultimate race in Brazil – the team’s first since the 2014 Australian Grand Prix. Scoring only 62 points a year ago, they finished with just over double that tally, on 145.
Credit to Zak Brown and the leadership at McLaren, particularly new F1 team boss Andreas Seidl for a renaissance at Woking which resulted in the once mightiest team finally showing some promise after years in the doldrums. Seidl identified ‘stone in the shoe’ within the team – Fernando Alonso – and marginalised him and allowed his two young drivers to flourish in their first year with the team.
As a long-time McLaren fan, I cannot say I am overwhelmed by the showing, we expect no less but at least it is a step in the right direction but, in truth, they will never be the power they once were unless they align themselves with a manufacturer.

Well said... =D> =D>

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 14:59
GPToday: Ben Stevens...

2019 SURPRISE OF THE YEAR: MCLAREN
Courtesy of the chassis supplied by Pat Fry and Peter Podromou, and the all-new driver partnership of Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz, they managed to outscore the works Renault by 54 points, being regular top-ten finishers and even earning a podium at the penultimate race in Brazil – the team’s first since the 2014 Australian Grand Prix. Scoring only 62 points a year ago, they finished with just over double that tally, on 145.
Credit to Zak Brown and the leadership at McLaren, particularly new F1 team boss Andreas Seidl for a renaissance at Woking which resulted in the once mightiest team finally showing some promise after years in the doldrums. Seidl identified ‘stone in the shoe’ within the team – Fernando Alonso – and marginalised him and allowed his two young drivers to flourish in their first year with the team.
As a long-time McLaren fan, I cannot say I am overwhelmed by the showing, we expect no less but at least it is a step in the right direction but, in truth, they will never be the power they once were unless they align themselves with a manufacturer.

Well said... =D> =D>
That's funny Seidl arrived like 8 months after Alonso left and had nothing to do with the drivers that had been chosen to drive in 2019 for McLaren. Zak Brown tried to convince Alonso to stay one more year, as he did in 2018 but he refused. As much as I like Seidl, lets not make up shiit he did. He really had little to do with how McLaren did in 2019. Does anybody know what he does ?

BTW, Alonso has nothing to do with the Russians trying to invade the Ukraine, Brexit or the price of tea in china. I'm sure someone will try and spin fake news to tell that story.